Anyone running and of the Centurion Running 50's 2016?

13»

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I will be revisiting the place, only a few miles after the start, where it all went so badly wrong for me when I attempted the Thames Path 100.  Hopefully by going the opposite direction it will all be OK!

• Well, that was tough. How did everyone else find it? I ended up blowing up at 20 miles in, was going to hand my number in if it wasn't for an awesome crew re-motivating me.

Finished in 11:52, which although I'd normally be disappointed with, is now one of my proudest ultra finishes - especially given that I'd lost my head completely so early on.

How did you guys do? Anyone else find the 1st third to be particularly challenging?

On another note, another well organised race from Centurion, I think the route was more road than SDW and NDW, but still a pleasant one. Loved the trail around Grims Ditch!

Hope you're all recovering well!
  • Overall I enjoyed it.  Very runnable course with quite a few ups and downs, especially that hill at roughly 20 miles?  Seemed almost verticle when I was climbing up it.

Felt sick from 20-27 miles, nearly quit at the 25.8 mile aid station but didn't want the marshall who was telling people to MTFU to give me a load of verbal so I carrried on.

Felt great from about 30 miles until the end and although tiredness was creeping in but was still running the flats and some of the lesser inclines.

Spent a bit too long in a couple of the aid stations which probably added 15-20 mins to my time, something to improve on next time, I was a lot quicker in the SDW50 aid stations but felt I needed a bit longer in them this time.

Finished in 9:33 which I'm really pleased with considering my last 20 miler was early July and my longest run since then was 13 miles so really hadn't trained for it.

I liked the course and the road sections were a good chance to put the hammer down.  I'll definately be back next year.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I'll post a bit of a report on here later.  Fabulous event.

Lee, that must have been you catching me up in that final wood section, just before the endless path next to the fence!  I managed to keep ahead of you and finish in 11:50.

• I'd love to be able to write a report but I remember so little of the course usually when I do an ultra, I really enjoy reading race reports but I'm amazed just how much people remember of their run. 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

It'll be a day or two but I will put something here.

I seem to have recovered almost immediately with no ill effects.

• Same here.  Took 3 days off and went out for a run Wednesday, Thursday and will go out tonight as well.

• T Rex wrote (see)

I'll post a bit of a report on here later.  Fabulous event.

Lee, that must have been you catching me up in that final wood section, just before the endless path next to the fence!  I managed to keep ahead of you and finish in 11:50.

Ah yes it was - good to put a face to the forum name! Look forward to your race report.

I went down to Wendover today to scope out WW50 - for those doing it, it's going to be - interesting! I intend to do a lap of the course and report back in due course if its of interest.

Jamie - I do also remember 'that' hill, incredible gradient!

• Really enjoyed my first Centurion event (and therefore my first 50 miler). After lots of doubt about being able to complete the distance the body didn't complain too much in the end, although I agree that the hill up to the windmill was a bit brutal! Really good aid stations with fantastic marshalls - what more could you want?

Looking forwards to WW, SDW50 and SDW100 now. image

• The WW50 sounds like it's going to be a muddy slog fest, part of me wishes I was doing it but being shin deep in mud isn't my idea of fun if I'm honest.

I'm back in for the SDW50 again next April and have put my name on the waiting list for the SDW100 but I've got my eye on the canal slam as well, if I decide to take the plunge with that then the SDW100 can wait for another year.

• Hey guys ! Did we all survive chilterns 50?

I agree with the above , the first third was harder than the rest . I felt trashed by 20 miles but once I got to Christmas common I felt a whole lot better . The grind Ditch part is familiar to me so I knew I was on the home stretch ( literally !) then ,there was a hosepipe spraying out water which wa bizarrely refreshing even though it was getting chiller by then .

Final 10 miles were great going & I got a PB of 10:56image

Going out to recce wendover again soon - yep it's gonna be a toughie
  • Awesome time loulabel, nice one!

I did a recce of the 10 mile loop today, will post a bit more about it shortly, looks like it'll be an interesting one!
  • I'm off out there in November
  • Hi

I'm doing ww50 my first centurian event but 2nd 50 miler.

I did the xnrg 50k ultra a couple of weeks which went through Wendover Woods, looking forward to going back there again image

Bit nervous though as well, this is my first event going solo I normally run with a friend.

Can anyone recommend a good Base Layer top for the mandatory kit, need to invest in a new one.
  • Lee , did you do the recce loop ? How did you find it
  • Lee are you in the slam ? The finish medal is awesome - guessing you've seen it ?
  • Ok...hands up who's doing Wendover next year ?! image
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

C'mon then, lets have some reports!

btw sorry I never got round to giving one for the CW50 like I said I would

• Ok , well I finished WW50 with some hefty climbs , 1 lap in darkness which I really enjoyed bizarrely , the mist & fog added spectacularly to the route ! And a great day all in all as I finished the slam , one of 7 ladies & a huge medal at the end of if - happy pixie image
  • I've not posted on this thread before but last Sat was my first CR event.  I put a report up on page 10 of the P&D thread (in case the link doesn't work)

WW50 Report

The short report would be it was tough but a fantastic day and I definitely hope to do it next year.  Well done on the slam medal Loulabell, I had a massive want face when I saw those.

• Yep good report , I loved the course - power line wasn't as bad as I thought .. I think the snake felt like the longest haul to be honest !

Yeah the slam medal was worth it all !!