Marathon training - stress fracture

Hello, I have a place to run the London Marathon in April this year - I was diagnosed with a stress fracture at the beginning of November (by x-ray) and advised to take 6-8 weeks off running completely.  I can now walk without pain but haven't done any running yet.  Before the fracture I was running about 3 times a week and up to about 10 mile runs once a week.  It will be (hopefully) my first marathon although I have done a couple of half marathons before (2010, 2013).  during the break from running I have been cross training about 5 times a week with spinning, pilates, yoga, cross-trainer, rowing etc to keep up my fitness level (I definitely don't feel as fit as I did running though).

I was thinking of trying running again in about a week.  Any advice?  Do you think I should defer my marathon place or still try to do it?  I don't know what is realistic.  I would LOVE to be able to do it, but of course I don't want to end up making it worse/refracturing etc.

I think I injured the foot when I was running in my old trainers, before I went for gait analysis etc image.  I have never had any trouble before with injuries etc and am generally in good health

Comments

• Impossible to say really - but you can defer right up until the day before the marathon.

I'd go for the run and see how you are ? You've taken longer than the 6- 8 weeks advised - any reason for that ?
  • Ah sorry I meant December not November.  I am about 5 weeks after diagnosis now.  I am thinking of starting a tentative jog-walk on the treadmill next week and see how I feel.  I didn't realise you could withdraw right up until the day before!  Good news - I suppose I will keep my fingers crossed and see how it goes.  Thanks for replying

• It took me a good while to recover from similar whilst marathon training. I was told that I needed to feel confident hopping on stressed side 10/20 times before recommencing running. I would suggest treadmill or, even better, running on grass in good trainers. Monitor closely and try and plan routes where you have the option to bale out if pain is present. Good luck!

• If you're easing back into training, then you'll have to see how it goes. Take it easy to begin with, and if everything is good as you build up the miles, then you should be able to make a decision as to whether to run or defer. Unfortunately only you can make that decision, but if the stress fracture is still hurting, or if you can't get up to or beyond 15 miles or so, then deferring might be sensible.