Reckless pedestrians

Is it just my imagination or do pedestrians no longer consider it to be a hazard to step onto the road infront of cyclists? It seems to be happening to me with increasing frequency. The pedestrian looks for traffic sees a cyclist and thinks that crossing isn't a problem and the promptly steps onto the road. Causing breaking, swerving and many expletives. It happened to me twice today and does so several times a week. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Comments

• I must admit I step in front of cyclists several times a day. That's because so many of them ride on the ****ing pavement.

But seriously, there are bad 'road users' from all sides - drivers, cyclists, pedestrians. It's time they all gave each other a break.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Pedestrians have right of way over everything. They probably assume that you have seen them and are preparing to stop.

Where is Colin McLaughlin when you need him? He thrashes them to within an inch of his imagination.
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    VDOT52 wrote (see)
    Pedestrians have right of way over everything. They probably assume that you have seen them and are preparing to stop.

not on the roads they don't.

• Even IF they had right of way - which they don't - stepping out in front of anything moving is a bit foolish.
  • VDOT52 wrote (see)

Where is Colin McLaughlin when you need him? He thrashes them to within an inch of his imagination.

I am pretty sure that Colin has been in a bunker with a tin of baked beans since the attacks in Paris.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Well let's put it anther way, pedestrians will never be prosecuted for getting in your way and ruining your bike, skin, bones and strava track, even if that is blatantly what they did. But if you 'might' have been going too fast then there is a good chance you will get taken to court for damages and will most likely lose.

Doesn't the Highway Code say something along the lines that if you can, you must always give way to other road users if it will prevent an accident?

As an aside, I was running a while back andI was crossing a road and nearly got hit by a cyclist turning into the road after going round a bus at a stop . Luckily he managed to brake and stop without hitting me or falling off. No harm done but for every decent rule obeying pedestrian or cyclist there will also be a twat.

Edited to add that I may more often that not be the twat.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I've frequently stepped into the road in front of cyclists, that's because so many of them don't know that the red traffic light means 'stop'image 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wow, someone needs to lay off the skittles.

• Do people still play skittles?

• You hope it "hits me in the face soon? What a nice person you are.

News for you mate - I was in a building when an IRA bomb exploded and another one went off outside while we were evacuating.

So it has happened to me already, buddy. But It didn't turn me into a paranoid freak, As plenty of people have told you before there visa difference between being alert and careful and living your life in fear.

Thank fuck our ancestors who lived through the Blitz weren't all like you eh?

• BTW, to clarify, it isn't the situation I find a joke, it's your overreaction.

• Jeezuz - Colin - you're a loon. And nasty with it. Unless I've missed some back story here ?

Get a grip man. Whilst terrorism is a risk - it's tiny compared to the every day risks we all have and live with without being hysterical about. Your perception of risk seems very wonky.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/25/deadly-terrorism-britain-roads-security-risk

http://thinkbynumbers.org/government-spending/anti-terrorism-spending-disproportionate-to-threat/

You're about 60x more likely to die in a fall than by terrorism. I hope you've taken the stairs out at home...
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Colin, I was taking the piss about your rant about the runner who got in your way in richmond park (I think).

The other stuff I kind of understand. In fact for some of those reasons I am moving out of London and going to where your family come from.
  • cougie wrote (see)
    Jeezuz - Colin - you're a loon. And nasty with it. Unless I've missed some back story here ?

Get a grip man. Whilst terrorism is a risk - it's tiny compared to the every day risks we all have and live with without being hysterical about. Your perception of risk seems very wonky.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/25/deadly-terrorism-britain-roads-security-risk

http://thinkbynumbers.org/government-spending/anti-terrorism-spending-disproportionate-to-threat/

You're about 60x more likely to die in a fall than by terrorism. I hope you've taken the stairs out at home...

That is the "backstory". He seems to have restricted his life by a ridiculous amount while riding a bike in London every day and insisting he is statistically safer.

I find this to be so silly I feel obliged to say so  from time to time. However,  at no point have I wished death on him. That would be a compete, you know, overreaction.

• It is a pity that this thread seems to have been overtaken by personal issues.  My take, for what it's worth, is that few pedestrians deliberately step in front of cyclists unless they are exceptionally confrontational - or wish to end up in a&e.  However, increasing numbers of cyclists ignore red lights, going at speed even when the Green Man crossing signal is showing and the audible signal sounding to indicate to the visually impaired it is safe to cross.  As for pavement cycling - there was an earlier thread which illustrated to massive sense of entitlement of certain cyclists to ignore the law if it inconvenienced the in the slightest.

Finally, a perfect illustration - today I nearly did step in front of a cyclist - I was in the Turbine Hall of Tate Modern and he had decided to take a short cut through the gallery rather than circumnavigate the building.

• asitisasitis ✭✭✭

It's just a rat race out their. Everyone rushing around to get home for Eastenders and to check their mobile phones. Makes me laugh.

Edit... I almost forgot there microwaves, Apparently no-one has got time to cook.

• And is there not a Strava inspired competitiveness that is alluded to in the latest Mars Bar campaign?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

This forum seems to have a very slow turnover these days.

That's probably the main reason all the forum big names congregate on the few threads with any slight movement.

Goodness knows the background between the rant and scuffles on here though!

Colin, you slate someone on a different thread for not using a real name, I'd put it to you sir, that "Colin McLaughlin" of "London" with no photo, is no more identifiable than "VDOT" of RW.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    ooh was I slated? Any attention is good isn't it?
  • Stevie G wrote (see)

That's probably the main reason all the forum big names congregate on the few threads with any slight movement.

Colin, you slate someone on a different thread for not using a real name, I'd put it to you sir, that "Colin McLaughlin" of "London" with no photo, is no more identifiable than "VDOT" of RW.

He's a Post It note, I'm pretty sure saw him at work on Thursday.

• asitis wrote (see)

It's just a rat race out their. Everyone rushing around to get home for Eastenders and to check their mobile phones. Makes me laugh.

Edit... I almost forgot there microwaves, Apparently no-one has got time to cook.

^^^^ BUGGER if it's a Rat Race we are going to get charged a fortune.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Bear B.Hind wrote (see)

And is there not a Strava inspired competitiveness that is alluded to in the latest Mars Bar campaign?

A Mars a day helps you work, rest and win back that KOM segment?  Actually I've not seen it.

Colin's still in Richmond Park, but he's built himself a little shelter.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/10/article-2127759-1288798C000005DC-311_634x470.jpg

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    So he is a mole and not a troll. Got it.
  • NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    ground control to major Colin:

your circuit's dead! There's something wrong!

Can you hear me Major Colin?

Can you-
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Of course, Colin will swear blind that he isn't paranoid. He may well be right, but it doesn't mean we aren't talking about him.

🙂

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

There are occasional flashes of the way things were in the old days... (sigh)

booktrunk wrote (see)
    asitis wrote (see)

^^^^ BUGGER if it's a Rat Race we are going to get charged a fortune.

Like this.... image

• Ahhh just worked out what Bear is talking about with the Mars Bar ad.

Dude at home takes call.

Agrees to be in office/interview by 10.

Goes to get on bike - flat tyre

Has to use daughters kids bike and pedal like hell.

Doubt he'd be racking up any Strava KOM's on that.