heart rate %

2»

Comments

• So who is the the Heart Rate Training for the compleat idiot by please? I think i had better get a copy....
  • Eldest,

the book is by John L Parker and, as many people have, I got my copy from Amazon.

I can't recommend it highly enough. When I began 4 months ago I was doing 3 miles at 12 min / mile under recovery ceiling. Now I can do a 13 mile run at under 10 mins / mile and stay under recovery ceiling.

Best of luck.
  • Action Man

You are now obviously living up to your name! thanks for the recommendation, I shall definitely be buying the book!

• Hi All,

I'm new to running, but I've been cycling competitively since 1989 and with a HRM since 1991.

No-one has mentioned 'perceived exertion', and I wonder if it is commonly used in running circles ?

If we're talking about 70% being the "recovery ceiling" (as mentioned by RJK above), then I imagine that the associated perceived exertion should be "moderate / not hurting / feel like you could easily go faster / able to hold a conversation with your training partner". Cyclists most commonly refer to it as 'level 2' and it forms the bulk of endurance training.

So, rather than getting hung up about wildly differing formulae, or even the various methods which exist measuring MHR, I would suggest trying to run along at a pace which matches the exertion level you're aiming for, and then reading off your HR for future reference.

So for example, if you want to go out for a "recovery ceiling" run, get out there until you perceive your exertion to be "moderate, etc ...", and then make a note of your HR.

Of course, it might make you wonder why you need a HR for that kind of session if you're going to judge pace by perceived exertion anyway ... and perhaps you'd be right to ask ;-)

I'm all for technical aids in sport, but sometimes, your senses will serve you just as well, if not better.

Tony

• Good thought T. I tend to use my HRM like that, but then it is good to have the monitor to judge when you are overexerting yourself! I do think that we all get bogged down with all the technology and accessories which are available to us! ( I am a major culprit and own everything). I feel like a robot sometimes with the amount of technology I rely on when out for an "enjoyable" run!

• Hi E,

I'm certainly surprised at the amount of technology there is to be had in running.

I'm most impressed by the GPS systems that calculate your speed (although sadly a bit expensive for my budget) !

T
  • As I said, i own everything, even that! BUT it takes ages to learn how to use it! (well it does me) 2 books to trawl through, I think I have just managed to get the hang of it! yes it is impressive! Save up or have you got a birthday coming up and a rich relative/friend?

L

• Got plenty of birthdays (is it me or do they come around quicker past a certain age ?), but will have to work on the rich relatives and friends :-)

Cheers !
  • No not you they come around quickly - why do you think I am called Eldest?!
    Good luck!
  • CurtainsCurtains ✭✭✭
    Hi all
    Its been nearly three months since the thread started . I was wondering if the training is working, I'm just finishing week on of parkers training plan.

What has happened to your times ?
  • Hi all

I am coming back to running after having my first baby in february (I have been out for approx 1 year).

Although it is great to be running again, I have found it very hard and I have been wearing my HRM to monitor my fitness. I have had trouble with the % HRM as my average has been around 170 which would be over my max. If I went much slower though I would be walking. Perhaps I am trying to rush things and push myslef too hard.
  • I am using a HRM for the first time and must have reread the leaflet so many times could almost recite it. Have been on 5 runs since I bought it and each one is HR of c 180-185 - which is way off the scale! My max should be much lower. Before I saw these emails I was starting to think either everywhere I go there must be some really strong electromagnetic forces out there or there's something seriously wrong with my heart rate. I can not run at 70% or even 80% of my max as it feels like walking so how do I use the moniter?
  • "My max rate should be much lower"

If you see 185 on your HRM - then that is your max. If you go sprint up and jog down a hill 5 times chances are it will go much higher and that will be your max.

Read this page for more details on other calculations required to train with HRM. Or buy Heart Rate Training for the Compleat Idiot by John Parker which explains it all.

My experience: if I just go out and run my HR is ~188 (10 min miles). Below 75% of my HRR is 159 (currently 13 min miles - and yes I sometimes have to walk too) There is a thread in the TRAINING forum called Base Training where people are sharing their experience of heart rate training.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Christina, there is a tremendous variance in Max HR. The formulae should just be used as a guide. It is really important to find what your own personal MaxHR is. Without knowing then you cannot set accurate training thresholds. It sounds like your own is much higher than the formula would suggest. This is perfectly OK. You've just got to find out what your own MaxHR is.

One thing a lot of people don't realise is the fact that you must be very fresh and have taken things very easy for at least 3 or 4 days to get an accurate indication of your MaxHR, either using EyeSpye21's idea of hill reps or 800m reps on the track. Doing it when your tired will rarely give you the result you need.

For example - my own MaxHR is 173, however when I'm training on tired legs (which is most of the time) I struggle to get it over 163. The formulae would suggest that mine should be in the region of 180.
  • your own body tells you what you need to know regards heart rate,when you start to feel strained check your heart rate and you will find it at a high level obviously,so slow down a bit at a time till you are at your own personal max but also comfortabe and not too strained ,this will be your ideal heart rate

Rob