Running in Truro

Ok, so here goes...! I'm about to move to Truro mid way through marathon training. Is there ANYWHERE flat and lit in the city?!! Even if it's just a lit, flat mile stretch or loop to run reps along? Thanks in advance for any help - and for not laughing (too much)!

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    My advice would be to get in touch with the local running club.

I grew up in Cornwall and go back a few times a year but can't remember very many flat bits.
  • You may need to invest in a decent head torch- though even the most over-engineered and faffy ones can't help with the lack of flatness.

On the other hand, if you do finish your training around there, it's likely that the actual marathon will feel like a breeze in comparison image

(Edit: Re torches

This one is really good bang for buck:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sports-Silva-30-0000037401-Trail-Runner-II/dp/B00FPL60V2/

Nice lighting pattern with lots of peripheral vision, great runtime too. Takes normal batteries rather than faffy USB rechargeable stuff, so simple/cheap/light to carry a spare set.

If you're running along roads, consider a hi-vis vest with reflective bits too, and maybe a red rear light. This one clips neatly onto the back of the headtorch above:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silva-Headlamp-Light-Tyto-White/dp/B005OSTJFU/

It's a good combo- I have been accused of being a bike before, though.)

• Forgive me for asking - but why do want it to be flat? As Kattefjaes says - training on "undulations" will make a flat marathon feel more comfortable. I know they say you should train on the same type of course as the race you're going to do, but presumably it's mainly important that you don't train on flat roads only if it's a hilly race course.

Like Millsy, I too grew up in Cornwall - and flat it is not!!! Except perhaps on the tops of the moor or on the beaches... neither of which are particularly near Truro.

Anyway - good luck with the move and enjoy emigrating to my home country.

• Erm if you're moving there - haven't you been to sort things out?

I'm sure Google Street view would help and I know it's a bit wild west out there but I bet they have Street lighting by now. Even if it's gas.
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Surely there must be a parkrun that has flat sections or canal/river path which tend to be flattish,
  • Having visited Cornwall on numerous occasions, its capital isn't particularly flat, elgm.  From memory, the route around the river is flat but not a particularly lengthy one. 

However, Cornwall is a fantastic part of the country in which to live and I envy you. 

As for a largely flat (and incredibly scenic run), I'd recommend a run through Newquay, something that takes in the majority of its beaches, as you enjoy a mixture of cliff tops, promenades and coastal paths between Lusty Glaze and Fistral. 

Once you reach the headland (Fistral), take a moment to marvel at the turquoise sea water lapping the shore, before you turn around and take the same scenic route back towards Lusty Glaze. 

Granted, Newquay is some 13 miles from Truro but for pure indulgence and enjoyment, the drive there and back is well worth it, not least upon a sunny summer's day.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I'm not too familiar with Truro but I do know it has plenty of hills ... it's in Cornwall.

There's a running club, where they probably know some good routes.

Do some googling about mining trails, coast to coast trail, tramway trails, clay trails ... there's a network of trails and routes like this one which I think are mainly for hikers and cyclists but should at least give some ideas. Many of the trails, though, are slightly out of Truro, like the Bissoe and Great Flat Lode (which I explore when back home in Camborne). They're maintained by the county council so if you drop by their tourist office they can probably give some ideas as well.

There is also the coastal path of course, if you drive - plenty of little car parks on the north coast between Portreath and Hayle if that's feasible for you.

I like being back in Cornwall. Typical day's entertainment is go for run, eat pasty, have nap image

• The problem is 'flat and lit'! There are several options that are one or the other.

You could run several laps around Malpas Park (could stretch to mile lap if you run through the park a bit) but it's not lit. Equally the Newham trail is a gradual incline out of Truro but that's not lit either. Moving out of Truro, I run a lot on the bissoe trail, which is a bit up and down, but nothing too bad!

if you run in the dark, you are best to stick to the town. There are routes around the main streets that are reasonably flat, but not very long before you fit a hill again! Just outside of Truro is Threemilestone which has a flat 1 mile circuit around the village which is lit up.

• I would echo what BeccaB says. Most Truronians that are marathon training will be found on the Bissoe trail.

In the city the options for flat and lit are extremely limited. I would say your best bet that fits your brief is loops around the city centre with out and backs along St George's Road and to Malpas (also called Boscawen) Park. You could run a mile beyond the park to Malpas but it's not lit. Another nice, flat(ish) run would be to Idless and back, again, not lit. You go out one side of the river and back the other. More satisfying than an out and back run to my mind.

To be frank, if you are moving to Truro you are going to have to learn to love the hills. They'll make you much faster!

• Oh, and re the Parkrun. The nearest one is a good half hour drive away. We are meant to be getting one at Trelissick (NT property) but I've done the Trelissick 10K and that is as unflat as running gets.

• MiserableGit2 wrote (see)

Having visited Cornwall on numerous occasions, its capital isn't particularly flat, elgm.  From memory, the route around the river is flat but not a particularly lengthy one. 

However, Cornwall is a fantastic part of the country in which to live and I envy you. 

As for a largely flat (and incredibly scenic run), I'd recommend a run through Newquay, something that takes in the majority of its beaches, as you enjoy a mixture of cliff tops, promenades and coastal paths between Lusty Glaze and Fistral. 

Once you reach the headland (Fistral), take a moment to marvel at the turquoise sea water lapping the shore, before you turn around and take the same scenic route back towards Lusty Glaze. 

Granted, Newquay is some 13 miles from Truro but for pure indulgence and enjoyment, the drive there and back is well worth it, not least upon a sunny summer's day.

^ This....if you can it's worth the travel and it's an amazing coast to run on.

Try various websites such as this (map my run - Truro). you can probably judge the main roads, these will generally be lit. Otherwise, nothing like a little explore when you get down there!

• I live in Truro, Cornwall and know it like the back on my hand so if you ever need route etc then let me
    know. With regards to keeping it flat, there are some route but if you’re marathon training you’ll probably find a flat short route and loop it a few times...
  • Hello! Just wondering if anyone has any advice about running near Callington? I'm staying at Whiteford Farm, very near Stoke Climsland and just wondering about routes? I bet there are tonnes of beautiful places to get to on foot from there (I don't have a car at my disposal) - any advice gratefully received!