Options

What is your favourite "gear"

what's your favourite gear? I guess my top 3 are:- 

Shoes - Asics Nimbus

Clothing - Pair of 2xu shorts/tights don't know what you call them longer than shorts, but skin tight and end a few inches above my knees, love them as no thigh sores (yes I need to diet). Just so comfy.

Non essential but fun - Fenix3, wear it all the time now and love it. A reasonably smart watch as well as a watch that works fine for ultras (took a while but the software updates have really improved it). 

Comments

• Options
    I was going to say that my favourite gear comes from Colombia*, but then I realised this is a kit thread.

Always New Balance shoes, as they're the only ones I've found so far which don't destroy my freaky feet. Other than those, I'll run in any old cheap-and-cheerful crap.

*Strong black coffee
  • Options
    ZouseZouse ✭✭✭

I like 3rd. I can just about pull away from the lights in it, and can accelerate to 70mph without changing.

WRT running: Hoka shoes. Blister free trotter-case pillows of marshmallowness.

• Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    My Kalenji Breathable Boxers - no chafing, all stays in place and you, or anyone else would hardly know you were wearing them*

*see My Favourite Threads re "The Swinger"image
  • Options

I love my Newton Motion IV road shoes, they look like a migraine, but feel fantastic- you forget that you're wearing them once you get going. Light, fast, and possibly constructed from recovered alien technology- brilliantly weird sole units.

In the mud off-road in the winter, my Inov-8 Mudlclaws can't be beaten. Amazing grip. The fit is a little insane (I had to go up a whole size). Once you find the right size, they feel like road shoes but grip like an angry Soviet-era tractor. Not for use on tarmac, you'd wear the soles down, mind.

Nike Element half zip tops are great in colder weather. Light and soft as cotton, but dry, technical and warm, with a zip to control temperature. Bloody lovely, I'd live in them if I could. The price is a bit steep, so I always buy them heavily discounted. They fit a little large, I went down a size.

Ronhill Classic Tracksters are a godsend for colder weather, too. They're slim somewhat retro tracksuitish trousers (complete with little loops under the foot). They're hard wearing, made from excellent technical material, control temperature surprisingly well, and cost about £12 online! I own a couple of pairs, and love them. They're also excellent as climbing trousers- and a lot less pricey if you destroy them on a sharp rock than some of the eye-wateringly pricey stuff that you buy in outdoor shops.

On my wrist, I love my Polar V800. I have tried various other options, including high-end Garmins like the pretty but cranky Fenix 3 (and I actually own the slightly more reliable 920XT as a backup device), but the less faffy nature of the Polar is far more reassuring. Polar's web interface is cleaner and more reliable than Garmin's, and the on-device interface is much more streamlined. Polar stuff never has as many features, but they have fanatical hatred of "random number generators", so quality control tends to be slightly better. The features that are present tend to be the important things, and actually work properly. Oh, and their customer support is lovely, too- fast, friendly and helpful. You can phone them up and get a well-informed and helpful human being- which is always a major plus.

• Options

My armwarmers..........great piece of kit that means I never need to own a running jumper...and are much more versatile

My black Thorlos socks.wouldnt run in anything else.

Not sure abouit the third.maybe my ronhill shorts.....like you the skintype ones but go down mid thigh length.. 

• Options

1 Adidas Ultrboost ST These shoes have fixed my dodgy post baby pelvis issues overnight taking me from running 3 or 4 miles a week to 12 - 16 miles a week with no problems! 

2 Forerunner 920XT A Garmin for every activity I do, and it tells me who is calling me or messaging me so I know if I need to take a call or answer immediately. Also Smartrack is a great idea for safety. 

3 Buff, so versatile and mine even has little runners on!

• Options
    If they end above your knee they're shorts Booktrunk. I have a pair of 2 in 1 Puma shorts and the internal cycling style shorts are lovely. No chafing and warm hamstrings!

Inov8 hoody for after races, so snug.
  • Options

Without a doubt its Inov8s X-Talon 212 shoe, such an amazing amazing blend of Grip, low weight and amazing stability..... 

• Options

Have to wear Saucony shoes - flexible and with wide toe box for my forefoot pain.

Bought cheap and cheerful leggings (Karrimor, on sale) with a protective section across the front of the thighs that is hugely warmer on a windy wet Manchester morning.

• Options

CW-X compression tights - expensive, but I only buy them when discounted.

My "out of the ark" obsolete Garmin 305. Bought second hand on ebay but has never let me down and always fulfils my data nerdiness. I love it!

And agree with Roland - Inov8 X-Talon 160 shoes. Bought one pair many years ago and now can't find any "flavour" of Inov8 in my size at all... I'm dreading the day my X-Talons give up the ghost!

• Options

My next pair of shoes is always better than my last next pair of shoes, whether they be Mudclaw, Speedcross, Sense Mantra 1, 2, or 3, Pegasus, Zante, Launch, Trailroc, Terraclaw, Fellraiser... I'm going the same way with socks so I've started to buy multiple pairs of the same thing to try to reign it in a bit. Red woolly Hilly off roady things just pip the Grey Inov8 woolly off roady things.

Oh, and a Suunto Ambit3 because it's stupifyingly dull and it just works, always. 

• Options

Adidas Adizero Boost-Only wear them in races due to little support but definitely the best racing shoe.

Polar M400 with HR monitor. Not too simple and not too complicated.

I like the Adidas boost range for training

• Options
    asitisasitis ✭✭✭

I live for the summer so shorts and vest. Sounds boring and obvious but light and free with the sun shining on you is bliss.

I just plod the winter months for training so never worry to much about gear. Just chuck anything on that's practical.

Agree with john about the Adidas range. I cut my mileage down now so the supernova do nicely, If I was after a fast 5k on a dry day it would be no other than my Saucony A4/5

• Options
    Dave The Iron Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

53x12 

I can go 12.9 better than that, 54x11 image

• Options

I love the polar M400, good functions for novice to elite and nice user interface. Great as a daily activity tracker as well!

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    CaptainCaptain ✭✭✭

Helly Hansen Lifa long sleeved top.

De bizness

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Now that I've got 200 miles in them I'm happy to declare Adidas Glide Boost (version 7) my favourite training shoes ever. Just the perfect blend of cushioning and stability, and very very comfortable.  And even though they're not light, they still feel great for faster running.

Adidas, please don't fcuk them up!

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/12795474_10153994333954595_8922233248967091586_n.jpg?oh=66c3e6646fbd93df8017022cde86ac95&oe=5774B689

• Options
    Puddy tatPuddy tat ✭✭✭

Salomon s lab twin skin shorts, never needed body glide with these even at marathon distance. Bought as a gift for me as I would normally never pay that much. Oh and my Hoka Cliftons, I too hope they don't fcuk them up this year!

• Options
    Puddy tatPuddy tat ✭✭✭

Forgot, injinji socks, these really do deserve a mention.