Backpack Advice

Doing the Scotland C2C one-day event in Sept. 

I've got a small OMM running backpack (the popular bright orange one with white reflective strips on it).

I don't think this will be quite big or good enough for the event.

Has anyone got any good tips/brands to look for/avoid?

Needs to be big enough for:

• Torch
  • Full waterproof jacket (must have taped seams)
  • Leg cover – waterproof or windproof
  • Warm headgear
  • Warm gloves
  • Survival bag or blanket
  • Basic First Aid kit containing at least:
      • • A triangular or conformable roller bandage
      • • Assorted adhesive dressings
      • • Separate sterile absorbent material (e.g. gauze or gauze bandage)
  • Whistle
  • Additional upper body thermal layer
  • Food
  • Water
  • Cycling/Running shoes (when doing the other)

Cheers

Comments

• How big is that one ? I used the 25L OMM for the same race - plenty of space in it for everything. Theres a whistle on the bag too. And you can leave your bike shoes in T1 and then drop them with the bike at Fort William ?
  • cougie wrote (see)
    How big is that one ? I used the 25L OMM for the same race - plenty of space in it for everything. Theres a whistle on the bag too. And you can leave your bike shoes in T1 and then drop them with the bike at Fort William ?

Mine's just 15l.

True about carrying shoes, hadn't thought about that. 15l may just be enough. Not a lot of hydration options with it is only issue.

• I'd check in case it's changed - but they've done that in past years.

I'd see if you can get all the stuff in - and if you can't you need the 25L. image
  • You can buy OMM strap on water bottles to actually hang of the shoulder straps.

if it's ok apart from them then worth considering. If not I quite like the raidlight 14l and 20l running bags lots of pockets. 

• Not done that event, but I use an OMM 12l for my ultras and can easily get that sort of kit list in it and more! (except perhaps the shoes, but sounds as though you might be able to do something else with those...)

• OMM 25L bag, perfect for multi day events.

Love mine so light and comfortable from the off, no chaffing, love the wrap around pockets, easy to get in and munch whilst running, also carry a collapsible cup in the pocket so I can scoop and drink when fording a river / stream.  image

• GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

The shoes are your biggest problem, the rest of the kit will easily fit into a 10L pack. If you can strap the shoes onto the outside of pack using, e.g. the trekking pole loops, bungee cords or something equally inventive it opens up possibilities.

You'll hear all sorts of different suggestions, I use Salomon, Ultimate Direction, UltrAspire and Lowe Alpine packs depending on how I feel, what I'm  carrying and where I'm going. Do you like up-front bottles or a bladder? If you're cycling then maybe up-front bottles aren't suitable?

I'd recommend either finding a store with some in that you can try out, or an online retailer that does free P&P / returns. Narrow down some options, do some ordering and try some out at home. As long as you leave the tags on, don't fill up any water bottles and don't get them dirty returns will be fine. I've done this with Wiggle and Chain Reaction Cycles amongst others - plus they are generally the cheapest place to get them.