Lane swimming rants...

13»

Comments

• a must have piece of kit!!!

why did nobody tell me about this before???

i demand a written apology from all of you

pity i bought a speedo swim stopwatch yesterday..... i'll need to sneak it past 'er indoors i think
  • Not more money needed

sport may be good for you but its bad for your bank balance with all the techy kit for :

running
    swimming
    biking (road and MTB)
    skiing (d'hill and touring)
    climbing
    walking

just think of the shoes! (even inlcudes fins for the swim but) ugh!

needs to go and lie down.
  • Anyone got a cold compress for my wallet?
  • Monique should remember the lap counter thingy I was on about...was possibly from mailsports although possibly not...I forget.
  • petal i've often thought of taking up climbing... the kit looks fantastic!
  • Depends on the sort of climbing you do! I'd love to do more rock stuff (the kit makes great summer lazy-day wear! - but show all the bulges)

but we am more into the mountain stuff - again fantastic gear - but mighty expensive.

Try keeping me and FB out of the Patagonia (aka Patagucci) shop in Chamonix. Actually also good for summer / travel clothes.
  • To be fair in the great scheme of things swimming is not that expensive and i'll bet your average male speedos are less expensive than the female eqivalent.
    Its nice to know other people get just as annoyed at people who get in the way in the pool. I had a horriffic swim the other day, was doing 100 sprints and was not in a mood to be triffled with, ended up kicking one guy (accidently!) then 2 18 year old boys got in the lane and proceeded to do head up granny breast stroke and head up breathing on each side front crawl (they clearly thought they were really cool), then the guy who WOULDN'T LET ME PAST, we'd hit the wall together and he'd still push off in front of be despite the fact that i had already overtaken him a million times. GGRRR.
    I use my university pool (and its still full of bumblies) and have found early morning to be the best time. But basically avoiding peak times like 4-6 and lunch times. The best way to get around this is to join a club, that way people have a bit more pool etiquette. Or swim with a friend like someone said that way few people dare to get in your way.
    Also i'm fastish but not that fast and i MOVE when i know someone is on my tail. And to be fair i have more days that are ok than ones where people annoy me!

I always loose track of my lengths when doing more than 10! I just start with whatever the alst number i can remember was. And am i the only person who jsut remembers there sets in theri head?!?...or maybe thst why i loose track of the number of lenghts i've done (the other use for your swimming buddy, at least with 2 there is more chance of getting the numbers right)

happy swimming!
  • Having had various leg strains ive been doing a lot of arm only crawl lately, given I get about 80% of my power from my arms im still pretty fast.

On Monday there was this guy following me that clipped my feet about 5 or 6 times (for nearly half a length) I got so peed off I put in a few serious leg kicks and must have put a lot of splash and surf into his face (hopefully he swallowed a bit of it). A bit naughty but one or two touches is one thing but he really got my back up – he wasn’t even very fast, one of these ill do fast length and have a 5 minute break types.
  • I tried to post on this thread a few days ago but my connection went awry and I couldn't be bothered replicating the rant. However I have some fresh ones.

Dewsbury has been shut for a few weeks (the pool not the whole town) so I have braved Morley, firstly for masters which was ok, even though they were trying to goad me into showing them my butterfly,so they could have a good laugh.

Secondly I rang up and asked if there were lanes set out for adult swimming sessions. I knew this not to be the case as I have had tangles with the breast stroke mafia before.
    Yes lanes operated in the session on Tuesday lunchtime. So I asked again while paying at the desk, the very nice receptionist who knows me quite well phoned through and requested they put a lane in. It became apparent the shiftless lot round the pool weren't going to bother so I asked again and they did put a lane in. Some old guy pipes up "We don't need that today". I thought "you will see in a minute that I do you old nutter."
    Anyway the lane was wide but already at one side occupied by the worlds slowest man, so I shrugged and took the other side and proceeded to do my 3000 metres front crawl, and no one was going to stop me. Nearing the end one other mad breast stroker had decided to get in between me and the worlds slowest man, but I thought, well you will have to move as I approach as you are breaking all the rules. Afew lengths later the lazy lifeguard props a direction board up at the end of the lane . FINALLY- there is clear order to the swim and a faster guy who has since arrived and I can finish the swim without the tutting and disapproval of mad old fools who willfully refuse to observe any pool etiquette and show deep hatred of anyone who swims with some kind of purpose. No wonder we win no medals at the Olympics.
  • Dr. Nic I will try to order that lap counter, I had tried to get it from Worldwide Aquatics but cancelled when I realised the postage was nearly as much if not more than the item itself.

I can not wait till Dewsbury is open again, 33 metres so not as many lengths and 3 clearly defined fast,slow and medium lanes, with a good proportion of proper swimmers, one of whom swum the channel in 79, a couple of triathletes and Jean who is 60 and an x competition swimmer.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well I'm off to the pool again today as I've not had chance to go in the week.

As it's my birthday I'll stay calm if I'm sharing the lane with doggy paddlers!:o)
  • Does that mean you'll be swimming in your 'Birthday Suit' that should keep the doggy paddlers at arms length...

Happy Birthday :)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Unfornunately I didn't get a new 'birthday suit'!:o)
  • Good luck with it Hilly and happy birthday.
  • Hilly not sure if you missed the point...

'Birthday Suit' = clothes you were born in = naked.
  • As an ex-lifguard i feel i must put up some form of defence.
    Most of us (admitidly not all) will go out of our way to help the public (even the dozzy ones who forget where their locker is). And if lanes, and the signs are suposed to be in we are usually good at putting them either before or when people ask. Some of the time we will also ask people to get out of the fast lane when they are clearly SLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW, even though we usually have to put up with a mouthful for doing so.
    Monique - It sounds like the pool you were usuing was a bit pants

On the up side i just had a really nice swim only 5 people in the whole pool, and entire lane to myself....pure unadulterated pleasure for 150 lenghts. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh
  • The pool in Sheffield is usually good, often 50m and late in the evenings you might even have a length to yourself.

Very occassionally you do find slow folks in the fast lane but I've not suffered like some posting here.

Roger
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    CB-no I didn't miss the point! Hey! Just 'cause I'm 40 now doesn't mean my birthday suit is that bad it'll scare people off!:o)

Had a good swim yesterday. Stayed in the fast lane and although I was the slowest of the 4 in there I just allowed the faster guys to go past when they caught me. Still got a mile done and enjoyed the swim far more than last week.
  • Well ive never been so angry in a pool before…………..

Was at pool on Monday, in the medium lane and usual and all was fine until they closed the fast lane for life gusrd training. Of course the fast guys moved into the Medium land and some of the slower peeps moved into the slow lane. Im one of the quickest in the medium lane usually so don’t have to big a problem with the faster swimmers, just let them pass every few lengths or so, this wasn’t the problem though.

The medium land was very very busy and it didn’t help that there was a father and son slowing everyone down, no problem either as they were letting people past. We were all getting to the end of the land and quing round the lane end wall to start are next length, a quite orderly affair except this lady who insisted on overtaking you at the lane end as you were waiting to start your next length. This really got on my nerves as it was I who she always seemed to overtake, admittedly she was waiting or should have been waiting behind me during the lengths and quing at each end as the lane was so slow but she was a much slower swimmer and just showed not ettiqutte what so ever. I was so rattled the second time she did it I pushed off anyway and virtually swam under her to get ahead (I was doing slow arm only from crawl and at least twice as fast as her breastroke). Despite her attempts to overtake and bully everyone she then decided to move into the slow land and try her look at that, to the looks of disgust of about everyone in that lane she proceeded to continually overtake the slow swimmers regardless of who was coming in the other direction.

The most ignorant, selfish pig headed person ive ever seen in a pool.
  • Sounds like hell CB!! :-((

SImilar experience yesterday with a breaststoker (quite fast) getting the lane when I was on my last "legs only" length so taht when I went straight into the "full" it was clear I was going to catch him; I did. Did he let me through - he did not! and.............. he then proceeds to swim in the MIDDLE of the (single) lane so I can't swim past!

Another nice old bloke - again quite fast was v thoughtful. Tried tot thank him before one tumble turn....................

managed "Ta" !..........................

So I've decided that I need to get THANKYOU tattoo'd on me @r$e as way of being nice to people.

;-))
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    I had it done years ago....
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    oh I see - for swimming...
  • and look where that landed you eh jj..
  • Swim under 'em, swim over 'em, swim round 'em, do tumble turns if they get in the way at the end of a length.

Don't know why but I always seem to end up in a lane by myself. Bliss.

It pays to be rude now and then.
  • .....is fair of face,

widdecombes child is full of grace.

prescotts child is full of woe,

howards child has far to go.

kinnocks child is loving and giving,

scargills child works hard for a living.

but the child thats born to charles kennedy is bonny, blithe, good, and gay.

poetic moment there.