Options

Oxford Mail Town & Gown 10K

Comments

• Options
    I'm running in fancy dress- school girl - so say hello if you see me! I'm aiming for around 75 mins, hockey stick permitting....
  • Options
    Doing the T&G for the first time and actually my first 10km...did the Reading 1/2 in 2hours 30 secs so hoping for under an hour tomorrow...good luck to everyone aiming for a time and have fun to all the "fun runners"!!
  • Options
    not long now, I went to university parks today with my boyfriend who is doing the t&g and we saw where the finish is and there was loads of people running in the parks. I should of got into training months back but cold weather just didn't feel like it but i heard from many people it not so nice running in the heat so if it hot tomorrow going to be hell but i wish everybody luck. Probelmly going to do the kidlington one when it on. Good luck and I be there tomorrow but watching. Take care Michelle
  • Options
    Best of luck eveyone. I'm settinf off for Oxford now
  • Options
    well done for those who did the t&g I was there watching in this heat and thought it was hot even just standing about and thought of many of you and specially two people simon and my boyfriend who did a good time but due to the heat wasn't abe to do better but both of them under a hour

There said only two water stops which i and they thought was bad did, what do other people think?

Michelle
  • Options
    pleased with my 53 min time..was aiming for sub-one hour. Would have prefered 50 mins, but hey, it was HOT!!!!!
    Definitely could have done with at least one other water stop...just because there was such a snarl up around the area where everyone stoppped! I found it pretty hard to drink out of plastic cups whilst on the move so ended with most of it down my front, which wasnt so bad i s'pose!
  • Options
    Ran the T&G today - thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the heat. Heard this race was no good for a personal best but did a time of 45m 25s - 4m 30s faster than my last 10K race (Nike 10K last September)...I knew all the training for the London Marathon would pay off!

• Options
    Still feeling a bit heat stroked but had a brilliant run today - 72 mins finishing time which I was please with as I wanted to go under 75mins.

I thought the organisation was brilliant - thanks to all the friendly marshalls/water station people. As it was so hot, maybe a water stop at about 3KM might have been handy, but then it was clear in the race pack where the water was so we should have taken our own bottle with us!

Had a great lunch at G&D's ice cream shop - managed to have bagel instead of ice cream so my waistline won't take the strain.
    All round a brilliant race - see you next year!
    Bean (aka St Trinians girl!)
  • Options
    I think it was ok with just the one drink stop. Didn't get much water in my mouth anyway (more practice necessary!). Ran what I thought was a pretty respectable 41.30 considering the heat and it being my first proper run of any distance. The last 3km fetlt like 13k, maybe went off a bit quick. Could have done with more road and less park.

Can't wait to do another race, just have to decide which one!
  • Options
    PB PB YES!! not sure on exact time as yet but my watch said 49.18.clock at end said 49 sumthing!! lol best time of 52.17 at silverstone so thats 3 mins off my pb!! boy was that hot though.wud have been nice to had a water station at 2 or 3 k but i'm not moaning!! lol
  • Options
    Well done all.
    I couldn't make it in the end.
    Slight problem with my foot so decided to rest!
    Will try again next year maybe.
  • Options
    hi bean.did u use the peartree park and ride into oxford?? as i think u mite have been sat in front of me or beside me on the bus on the way into oxford as there were two girls in school uniform sat there not sure if 1 of them mite have been u or not
  • Options
    I am gutted I wasn't with you all today! A friend of mine wanted a virgin race and was too late to enter the Town and Gown so I ended up in Woodley, Nr Reading doing a local 10k with just over 400 people! It was my worst flamin run ever! For some reason I was sick at 5k and carried on running but finished with a miserable 1.07mins - The horror!!
  • Options
    Maybe it was because I got injured maybe I'm sounding negative but I thought the organising wasn't vey good. When the gate was opened we had only a few minutes to get to the start line I only just reached a good position to start as the claxon went off.
    Anyway I got injured at about 5k and hobbled to the direction of the park. Got near the first drinks where upon it got too painful to walk. A marshall called for a medic but 40mins later none had turned up at which point I hobbled off to find my folks and go home!!!
  • Options
    eddiieee well it was a very hot day and i wasn't even racing I was hot. It amazing no one got badly hurt but think they should of been more orgaise i knew people racing it and they was mad how it was all run and they said they had t que and that just silly. I am not the one to moan know lol
  • Options
    What a mess. I was planning to get to Parks Road, as it said on the information sheet, just before 10 o'clock. I heard the announcer say something about Crick Road, but that wasn't even on the map they gave out! Anyway, I and several hundred other runners arrived at the correct start about 5 minutes after the race had started. That meant that I was having run around slower runners for most of the race.

Note to the organisers: If you are going to move the start and not tell people until the actual day, you could at least wait a couple of minutes if people are still finding their way there!

Two other complaints whilst I'm at it: Near the finish I nearly got mown down by a couple of race officials driving a car down one of the narrow park roads against the direction of the race! I'm sure they wouldn't do that to the race leaders so why do such an idiotic thing to the slower ones?

Finally at the time when I arrived at the finish, about 58 minutes on the clock, they were so slow on opening a new finishing lane that the queue to the one in operation started well before the finishing line had been crossed!

I'm afraid that this year the organisation was not up to the usual high standards of this race.
  • Options
    I think the confusion about the start location, and the scrum getting out of the gates of the park to the new start resulted in a lot of faster runners playing catch-up as they were not lined up for the klaxon. It was difficult from about 7km having so many apparently fresh runners easing past when I was so knackered. I'm still telling myself they were all elite athletes who had just got caught up earlier. Beating the hour and not flaking in the heat was satisfying.
  • Options
    Well the start was a bit of a mess... but overall I had a brilliant day.
    This was my first ever race and I thoroughly enjoyed it (well I say this now, I didn't actually think so during the run...). Looks like I'm hooked, already looking out for the next race!
  • Options
    Is any one doing any other races such as Kidlington or Banbury Race?
  • Options
    Think I preferred the snow at the Reading Half than the heat at T&G yesterday! Could defiantly have done with more water stations given the conditions - one within the first 5K would have been nice. Surprised more people didn’t drop off with heat stroke and dehydration. What were the plastic cups about? I guess that’s what happens when an office water-cooler company rather than a bottled mineral water company provides the water. Last bit in park seemed like forever but managed to finish in under 51 minutes - not yet sure of exact time. Quite happy with that under circumstances. People without local knowledge must have found it difficult to find the start after it was changed - especially since it wasn't even on the course map! All in all a great day and beautiful (and car free) run through my home town. Will defiantly be there again next year. P.S - very sorry if you are the woman I sent flying just before the finish line! Hope the trip didn't affect your time too much? Just lost my footing on the grass. Sorry again!
  • Options
    Also really mad at myself for missing the start. I only live round the corner so left it to the last minute expecting the same start place as previous years and as it said in the race info. So was amazed to be sent off in different direction and be told by people watching the race that it had already started. And there were loads of sheep still behind me! Nice to have a change of course though. But certainly didn't hear any announcements over the tannoy. Anyone know the website for results?
  • Options
    Think website is www.oxfordtownandgown.org - but results still not up! If you are in Oxford then get a copy of todays Oxford Mail as it contains full race results and photo's.
  • Options
    First time I have run this - and I guess the last!

I loved the quiet streets, the absence generally of parked cars and the varied scenery but it seemed to me that it was mainly a fund-raising event and all a bit casual.

OK so they're not giving mementoes, but surely they could afford a time board at the finish and accurate KM markers?

The start was a chaos : I allowed 15 minutes from the tents with a visit to the loo as the announcer suggested.

But no announcements as to how long it might take to get there - the start road wasn't even on the distributed route map.
    I was very pissed off to hear the start hooter when I was still walking to the start and then having to thread through a zillion plod runners to get going.

Oh yeah - and why couldn't they give proper details of the Park and Ride Scheme. I tried to get times of buses from the internet but failed.

• Options
    Had a quick look on the Oxford Mail website (http://www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk), they have photos and a report but I could only see the top three results there.
  • Options
    Hi All
    go and get the Oxford Mail all the races who finish should be in there well that what the www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk site said otherwise email town and gown and see.
  • Options
    Yep. the full results are in todays Oxford Mail............all 2522 finishers are listed PLUS the juniors race........which was won by a boy called William Quick!
  • Options
    Anyone know web site of the official race photographers where you can see and buy shots? Thanks
  • Options
    Matthew, the web address was mentioned in the race pack, haven't got it with me but can let you know tomorrow - unless you still have yours?
  • Options
    Hi Fez 17 -

I was on a different bus - I was running near the other two schoolgirls during the race though.
    I parked in Cowley and got a "normal" bus (ie not park and ride) which worked quite well - apart from a few strange looks!

Off to tell my friend to buy and Oxford Mail!