Seen anything good (or not so good) at the pictures lately?

Comments

• Sassie I saw a Beautiful mind at the weekend. Very good I thought, I got confused part way through wondering what was really happening.

Still haven't seen XXX. Maybe this week.
  • Watched

Spiderman (again) – entertaining
    Big fat liar – light hearted and OK if you don’t want to have to think
    Greek Wedding thingmy – Chick flick – a couple of good gags but that’s about it
  • Watched K-19 at the weekend.Its about a russian sub not a dog by the way.It is ok thats about as excited as i can get about it.It tries to be tense but the film-makers didn't pull it off it got so i couldn't wait for it to finish.

I watched Black Hawk Down on dvd a couple of days ago. I have been avoiding it for ages because i had got a bit fed up with those Stars and Stripes american gun-ho films like Pearl Harbour and U-571.I have to admit it was a bloody good film.Its about when the yanks tried to capture a Somalian warlord but the mission was compramised and basically they got slaughtered. Loads of stars and great action scenes though very graphic. I couldn't help but feel sorry for them.
    Definately worth a look.
  • Best movie title in Leicester Square at the moment - 'Slap Her She's French' . I've heard it's not up to much though.

Psi, I've heard about Donnie Darco. I must try and see it before it goes to video.
  • Scotty, Donnie Darko is very good. Weird but good.
  • I thought that I would reserect this thread as I saw 'Harry Potter' on Friday night and it was fantastic! Even better than the first one with the special effects really bringing it to life... go and see it... and no you don't need kids!!!
  • Spans, I saw Harry Potter on Saturday, I thought it was brilliant! The special effects were very good, but haven't Harry and Ron grown?!
  • yes they almost look grown up now! I thought that Kenneth Brannagh was excellent as well - an inspired casting!!
  • Showing your age, Gnasher! "Ooh, Ron, aren't you the proper little grown-up gentleman now!"

I saw it too. Loved it. Special effects were fabulous, acting was brilliant, Gilderoy Lockhart was well cast but not nearly as repulsive as in the books - the whole business of him accusing Harry of courting celebrity was omitted - and those spiders were so convincing! My three older children were transfixed. The littlest one (four and a half) found it too long and got wriggly in the last hour or so. When they got home, they covered every piece of scrap paper in the house with drawings of things they'd seen.

Still don't think Hermione LOOKS right. I'd imagined her as a slightly dumpy girl with lots of frizzy uncontrolled mid-brown hair, a bun face and I'm sure she's meant to have big teeth. Making her pretty seems like a betrayal.
  • I saw 28 days last night. Ummm very strange but very, very watchable. Jumped out of my skin a few times but managed a tear and a giggle too.

Very explicit, at times sickening, but also very thought provoking.

Would definitely recommend it.
  • dissagree V-Rap, I think Hermione is spot on-but I spose we all form our own minds view of characters as we read the books, how the hell are thet gonna replace Richard Harris????????
    Thought the film was great, and both my boys sat transfixed all the way through, which as they are 8&5 and the film didn't end till 23.15 says alot
  • oh hello wolfy-what you doing over here???
  • Hi LL, just thought I'd give my pennies worth re. 28 days and notice that you are a Harry Potter fan!

How the hell are you? Noticed that you were tapping Louise up on the Milano thread for a list of good bars for us.....keep up the good work!

Hello to Mrs LL from the Wolfy's.
  • potter v good i thought.they've got to get stephen fry in somehow,i think e'd make quite a good dumbledore.

top tip from nyc is bowling for columbine .mike moore is a kind of heavier duty social commentator with a bill bryson type sense of humour-used as a sharp weapon.this one's about the ridiculous nature of us gun laws.i've only seen clips on jonathan ross,but looks fully up to the one i saw some time back,roger and me.you heard it here first...
  • I heard dr evil himself - Christopher Lee was going to do it
  • I believe the extended Lord of the Rings DVD is out tomorrow if anyones interested
  • Hermione IS supposed to have big teeth - there are plenty of mentions of it in the series and an important part later in the series when a spell causes them to grow even bigger, which is a sort of 'last straw' type situation. Also, the last book mentioned how she'd tamed her frizzy hair for the ball. Don't know how they're going to reconcile that..

More films: 28 Days Later is ace. And I re-watched the original Japanese version of "The Ring" the other day, as it's widely available on DVD now (Blockbuster, etc). I strongly advise anyone into atmospheric horror to catch the original, tho the remake is OK. Not much gore - in fact none at all really - but the film is definitely scary and will screw you up! Ooh, the feeling of DREAD it provokes... *shiver*
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Went to see Red Dragon on Thursday. Fab! I've read the book twice, but long enough ago to have forgotten some of the gory bits and an important bit of the plot, so it was suitably scary.

On the list for the next few weeks are the new Bond, Harry P and LOTR2.
  • I went to see XXX last weekend - couldn't move for HP fans queuing for tickets.
    REally enjoyed XXX - sort of James Bond for adrenaline junkies and they left the end of the film ready to make XXX2.
    HP, James Bond and LOR2 to see shortly.

Anyone want a big poster of Aragorn from LOR? Map of the land on the back. As given free in the Times last Sunday.
  • Thanks DS but read Sunday Times too. Did you ever get that trophy you're owed?

Bought the DVD LOTR1 special edition today.

• Agree with Psi on the "Ring" series, though I've not seen the American remake (and not sure that I want to...). Superb and very original.

My wife went to see "Ma Femme Est Une Actrice" last night, which is apparently not bad.

Watched "Dog Soldiers" on DVD last week - it's pretty funny, though the "surprise" ending isn't really much of a surprise - good film though.

And I want to see "Rabbit Proof Fence" and "Donnie Darko".

• Watched Ice Age on DVD at the weekend and laughed one soaks off – It’s the child in me

My to see is also Bond, Harry P 2 and LOTR2
  • Saw Donnie Darko last Friday - very good, mainly because Hollywood was not involved. Then the next night I saw Evil Dead (uncensored version). Now that was gorey, but so funny too. Eurgh!!
  • Hildy agree on Evil Dead, hilarious.
  • I want to see Rabbit Proof Fence. Let me know what it's like if you see it Mr A. Also Donnie Darko is good.

LOTR2 is on the cards too.

And I still haven't seen XXX. But not that worried if I miss it.

• Oh, and I'm waiting impatiently for "Bowling for Columbine" too.
  • Caz - I don't think Rabbit Proof Fence is actually about Rabbits.

Can't wait to see Bond. And Harry Potter - but as little cougie will insist we get the DVD as soon as its out anyway, I'm not desparate to see it so much. I'll get to see it about 100 times over in the end.

Loved the thread on Hermiones frizzy hair.
    My 5 year old niece was bemoaning her mums 'not quite as neat as usual' hair - Mummy - you look like Hermione !
  • Darn - and LOTR ! How could I forget that one !
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Went to see Harry Potter 2 with my children (boys 15yrs and 18yrs! on Sunday)