Options

Should I be doing speedwork yet?

I have been religiously keeping my HR under 70% and have shaved 3 mins off my 3 mile time, am planning to run in a 10 mile race at Easter, am doing 3x3 miles a week and a long run (building up, last Sunday was 6.5m), but wondered when I should start to include some speedwork. Really like the sound of fartlek but don't want to undo all the good work I have done with my <70% business. Aaaagh. Am definitely a plodder (13.5 min miles), but know that I can go faster but not at 70%, what should I do and what should I aim for on race day????

Kim

Comments

• Options
    RangerRanger ✭✭✭
    Kim

I wouldn't worry about speedwork just yet,not until you can complete your race distance. However if its just to relieve boredom there no real harm in turning one of your 3miles into an easy fartlek, though at your stage you will probably be better of increasing the disance.
  • Options
    Thanks for that Ranger! Would you suggest that I aim to go around the 10 miles at <70% on raceday? Am trying to increase my long run by 1 mile a week, do you think that it's enough? (Race day is April 9th). All help very gratefully received.

Kim