Options

Britannic Asset Management Women's 10k

Ladies 10k runners -

I am currently doing some research around why women run, and have a questionaire that I am looking for women to fill in regardless of exerience and capability.

I am a runner and will be participating in this event also.

The research that I am doing is for a documentary film and possibly also a publication. I have been working with a BAFTA award winning director recently and she is keen to make a documentary about why women run, and what acounts for the increase in numbers of women running in recent years. We are hoping that BBC Scotland will commission the project.

The plan is to cover teh ladies 10k and a number of other scottish events and to pick up on a number of 'story' lines.

I am keen to get volunteers to complete the questionaire. If you would like to do this, please email me from this thread and I will forward you a questionaire.

Secondly, we are looking for some human interest stories to follow in the 10k and possibly beyond, if you are participating in a number of events. So if anyone out there has a story behind their running that they would be prepared to share with us and other women runners please email me and we can discuss the project and your story.

Thanks!

PS - fist timers, this is a fantastic event, and it has inspired me to train on and last year I completed my first marathon!!!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Freefall Bunny

Just came on to see if there was a forum for the Women's 10k. I have done your questionnaire.

No great story for me - I just run to have some time out for myself - keeping fit and losing weight (sometimes) are a bonus. I have only been running for 2 years - just 10ks really although I did the Great North Run last year - 12 weeks after my daughter was born by c-section (some people say 'woh' - others tell the truth and say 'stupid cow'!) I was glad I did it though and it did get me back into running.

Looking forward to the 10k this year, hope to do one in Oban on 25/4 and the Great Caledonian on 8/5, the Womens on 16/5 and hopefully the Great Scottish 1/2M on 5/9. I have a place for the GNR again but I am not going - too expensive to stay in Newcastle - will try and get a better time in Glasgow instead.

Let me know if I can help you on anything.

• Options
    mum on the run,
    good to hear from you again.

I think that was amazing to do GNR just 12 wks after a C section!

Keep in touch. Do you visit the Scottish runners thread? It sits int he general category (I think).

I am doing the 10k, but it is only 2 weeks after Lochaber marathon which I am also doing so not sure what my performance will be like. I always try for a good run at the ladies. I am also doing the GSR, so hopefully we can meet up at an event.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Mum on the Run - have you done Oban before, and if so, what's it like? You seem to have missed a week in your racing schedule :o) - how about the Mid Argyll Half on 2/5??
  • Options
    Freefall Bunny - that would be good to meet up at Balmoral as I am travelling up myself to that from Lochgilphead. Nice to see a friendly face.

Nessie - haven't done Oban before - was 7 months pregnant last year but watched my friend get a really good time. I went to school in Oban so I think it is almost the same as our old athletics run! Not doing the Mid Argyll Half - don't think i will be ready in time - but I guess I could enter on the day if I thought I was fit enough - we are only 4 miles from Lochgilphead. Are you coming down for that one?

I have to juggle my runs as my husband plays shinty every week and sometimes he can be away all day on the Saturday and then if I am away on the Sunday too it is a bit much with two young children - that's why I call myself 'Mum on the run'!

June

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Hi June

Yes I'm planning the Mid Argyll half, although I find it quite scary with such a small field who are all soooo much faster than me. I've done it twice before and have been last both times - well, someone has to.

I'm Lochgilphead born and bred, although I've been in Inverness for 13 years now. Mum still lives there, so it's handy for pre-race accommodation! I'm also planning the triathlon at the end of September, if I can get some swimming practice in this year.

I did the 10k in Lochgilphead in 2002, but it was cancelled last year. Hopefully they'll be running it again this year.
  • Options
    Hi Nessie

I live at Silvercraigs, Castleton - just outside Lochgilphead. Where is your mum? I did the 10k too in 2002 - managed 54.59 so I was pleased with that. There is no word of a 10k yet - Bill MacCallum is really wanting someone else to take over so that is why he had a break last year. I did the triathlon in 2002 - just the running part, entered as a team. I am considering the whole thing this year - but am not keen on the swimming part.

June
  • Options
    have just joined my local running club and we are training for the britannic womens 10k. I have also entered mugdock country park 5k and the glasgow race for life 5k. I did the race for life last year and stopped running straight after, i was really pleased with myself as i jogged all the way round. I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and everything. So am now training properly with a club doing a beginners course and hopefully making it a part of my future. I do it to meet people, to get fit and hopefully to help me lose some more weight.
    Good luck to everyone
    Tina
    xxx
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Hi June

Mum stays in High Bank Park - extremely handy for registration for the half, and for the tri. I haven't managed to do the tri yet, as it's clashed with the Loch Ness Marathon the last 2 years, but the LNM has been put back a week this year due so as not to clash with the Great North Run. I hate the swimming bit too - I can swim a bit, but I find the nerves of a race get to me and my breathing goes to pot, which isn't much fun in a pool!

My time for the 10k last time was 1:01 (I was last in that too) - I really need to do something about my speed! I hope someone does take up the reigns, because it was a nice route.

I'm now starting to think about the Britannic 10k, as maybe some shorter races will help my speed a bit. Maybe......
  • Options
    boing!

Tina - I see that you are thinking of the 10k. Great one to do.

Nessie you should join us too. The 10ks definitely help the speed.
  • Options
    The Glasgow 10k is great - the whole day is brilliant. I really enjoy the route with everyone cheering you on and the kids passing out jelly babies and chewits! (Although nothing will beat the ice lolly that a wee girl gave me at 10 miles in the Great North Run - it was the best ever). I think because it is all women you really feel like you are in it together and are achieving someting good whatever your time may be. You meet some great people with great stories - i have met a woman who took up running because her husband left her the day before, a woman who had lost 3 stone and was running so she could eat more and a wonderful girl who was running for cancer research - who had breast cancer at the time of the run! I was inspired by them all to keep going. I am really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Hi Tina

Well done on restarting - that is the worst bit over! When is the Mugdock Park run - my husband's aunt lives just up the road and we could combine that with a visit to her with the children and I could sneak off and do the run!!

June
  • Options
    Mum on the run - you are so right. There are just so many amazing stories out there. The ladies 10k is a particularly inspiring race and it reduces me to tears every year - I find it really overwhelming emotionally and always try to make it a good run - for the girls!
  • Options
    mum on the run the mugdock country park 5k is on sunday 25th april at 2.30pm it is a staffinders race and cost me £9.50 online. if you look up staffinders you should get a link to the race.
    Tina
  • Options
    Thanks Tina - can't do it - there is a 10k in Oban that day - only 40 miles away from here so quite local. Thanks though.

June
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    mum on the run - I agree about the atmosphere at women's only races - I've only done one - the Smokies 10 mile race, but it was great and really friendly. I'm really looking forward to the Glasgow 10k.
    I am also thinking of the mid-argyll half. It would be my first half and sounds really good - I like the sound of beautiful scenery AND friendly marshalls (and friendly forumites too of course!)
    Deb
  • Options
    i have an entry to this but have some doubts over getting childcare for the weekend

(i would be coming up from the south so it will be a weekend stayover for me)

i have just emailed the race organiser to find out if i can run with a babyjogger - though i'd rather not as he's quite heavy now at 4 years old !

would really love to run a women's race
    although i've only just started running and my first 10k will be only a couple of weeks before this. maybe i am trying to do too much too soon but love it so far and want to take part as much as poss

good luck to all taking part

LOK
  • Options
    LOK,

I thought the event had a creche facility??
    One other possibility is to hook up with another runner with kids who has a partner who might be amenable to looking after a spare child.

Mr Freefall has on occassion agreed to babysit a friends offspring whilst we have been running.

Check on the crecha faciltiy though - there should be one, especially at a womens' only event.
  • Options
    thanks for that idea
    but unfortunately my son is not good at being left with people he doesn't know

i'll have to convince a relative or something!
  • Options
    Hello! I am hoping to do this if I recover from my dodgy sacroiliac joint which has just forced me to pull out of FLM.
    Does anyone know who undulating the course is?
    F.Bunny - will email you re your questionnaire if you still need people to fill it in!
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I've just had a look at the route, and if I have got it right, there's nothing too scary in there Guinivere.

The Forres 10k is the day before this - wonder if 2 10ks in 2 days is too much??
  • Options
    Possibly! But depends on what sort of mileage you are doing and how fast you do the first one I suppose!
    If you are training for marathon later in the year you might be OK?
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I'm training for the Highland Cross in June, and Loch Ness in October, so by then the mileage should be increasing.

I don't actually *do* fast, so I should be ok!
  • Options
    Neither do I! I'd be delighted with a sub 1 hour 10K as have only managed it in 1:03 at the Capital City Challenge last year.
    Ve-ry s-l-o-w.
    But in my defence there was a rather nasty hill at the start
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I've only ever run one 10k - 1:01:15.

My excuse was a very fast 1st km, which I'm not used to, so I rather died for the next 2 before I got back into my stride.

If I could just get some consistency in my training, I think I could improve.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the organisers have got their act together for this year - seems from others comments that last years was really badly run , with particular problems with lack of water on a boiling hot day.

i entered because the route looks fab and it's going to be on telly (!). the ad for this inspired me to start running - so it's kind of a big deal for me
    I planned it to be my first 10k, but have since decided to enter a local race in Kent in May, when the weather won't be so punishing ...
    anyone got any inside knowledge on the organisation of this in 2004?
  • Options
    NO NO NO NO sorry guys ignore that post - posted on the wrong thread - that comment meant for British 10K --aaaaaagh
    sorry
    (second time i've mis posted this week!!!)
  • Options
    LOK - this is a maginificently well organised event with plenty of water. The locals even pitch out with water and orange pieces!!

Guinevere - the course. I have run this one several times. There is quite a steep , but short hill at the start which has an equally steep down hill where you can make up for slowing down on the up. It is then fairly flat until you get into pollok park and then there is a hill in the middle of the park section roundabout 6k I think. It is not steep, but is one of those long steady ones. The last 3k is flat with a tiny little 'bump' - literally - in the last 500m.

The start can be interesting. Past experience says that i lot of the entrants are not very realistic about their times and so put themselves in a start position that is too fast, which then causes problems for the runners can do that time. I have been caught out by this in the past and have got stuck with 60 min plus runners who have put themselves in the 50 min position!! So bear this in mind if you are going for a time.

The elites - Lorna Kiplagat - advise a faster 2nd half but this can be tricky with that hill in the park. What i do is try to go for a steady pace, knowing that I will slow in Pollok Park, but try and save something for the last 3k to make up any lost time.

I did 50.04 last year and would dearly love to go sub 50 this year, but it is only 3 weeks after Lochaber marathon so I will just have to see.
  • Options
    LOK have a look at flights to Glasgow from Stansted or Luton with Easyjet, you may be able to do it in 1 day.

I did this race last year and really enjoyed it, a couple of hills but nothing too steep, and I do not like hills, I will be in Glasgow anyway that weekend so will enter, and this time I'm going nearer the front, I'm not a fast runner by any means, but I was overtaking walkers before I even got over the start line.

• Options
    I'm very much a beginner runner. Well run/walker. I have my first 10k a couple of weeks before down here in the south - a local race - and i partly booked this up as a backup event (forgive me) in case i got ill just before my "big" day and had no where to run to!!

However, the prospect of a women only race and of seeing glasgow (never been - well not in daylight long story!) now means i am really keen on it and the fact that it's two weeks later than my other race is very much a good thing as my training has fallen behind.

is it mainly full of serious runners or are there many beginners like myself? what sort of times do people do - i mean will i be the slowest?!

wicked witch - interesting idea but
    I don't think it's practical to fly there and back in one day because i will be knackered from getting to the airport etc etc and anyway i want to have some time to enjoy the city really

• Options
    LOK - it has all abilitites and ages. There are elite runners (Lorna Kiplagat, Sonia O'Sullivan etc), club runners, disabled runners, fun runners and walkers. Ages range from 17 - 90 (literally). Finishing times range from just over 30 mins to almost 2 hrs. That is why it is such a great event! Everyone is treated in the same way and gets the same amount of encouragement a praise.

I find it a trully inspirational event and can get quite emotional about it.

You will do just fine and with 2 weeks between the runs you will be fine. Last year I did 2 10ks and a half marthon on three consecutive weeks and was fine. You just need to plan your recovery and training in advance.