Britannic Asset Management Women's 10k

Comments

• It sounds like a great race
    Hopefully I will be injury-free and raring to go!!
  • you make it sound great - am ithcing to go really - just tyring to sort out who will mind my little boy. organisers haven't responded to my email querying creche or running with a babyjogger..
  • LOk - I am sure that you will be able to run with a baby jogger. I am sure that saw women with them last year.

There are a number of other forumites on the Scottish Runners thread who are running this too. Nearer the time we can post a list of numbers and arrange to hook up.
  • just rang them on the number given here - is this their pr company or something? they weren't to knowledgable about this

yes there is a creche but couldn't find out much else about where or what it consists of and no one knows about the babyjogger idea - they seem to think it unlikely

however was referred to 0141 287 5562 to speak to kirsten.tuttle@cls.glasgow.gov.uk at the council's marketing dept
    spoke to a very friendly helpful lady but
    apparently it's this kirsten that knows all about this - she is away this week
    i've left my details for them to call me

so we'll see

i can't see my little boy coping with a creche in a strange city as he's not that good a settling somewhere brand new
    so it will have to be the bjogger as can't get a friend of family member convinced about it (none of them runners!) and would have to pay their travel costs making it too expensive!!
    this started as an afterthought and is now turning into a bit of a test of my ability to make it possible for myself to run in spite of being a single parent !

i have looked into the flight thing but it will be 140quid for us both whereas train is about 15quid ...so guess what...
    anyone got anything against coming up by train ? i was thinking it might be more relaxing than dealing with airports actually!?

• response from someone in that office who called me back = "no babyjoggers allowed" and also ("no one here knows what one of those is")

?!

among thousands of women taking part am i really the only one to have asked this?
  • Hello there Freefall Bunny. Just read your message. I will also be doing the Glasgow Women's 10k on 16 May. Although I come from Glasgow, and I've done the race before (as well as the Great Scottish Run), I live in South Wales, and this year I've persuaded some of my Cardiff friends to join me, so there will be six of us on a bmibaby flight to Glasgow that weekend!
    Why do I run? I suppose it began as a means of losing weight, now it's more a case of running just to keep healthy and to stay the same size, as I'm very middle-aged and prone to spreading! Anyway, the Women's 10k is one of th most enjoyable runs I've ever done - you don't get an atmosphere like that anywhere else. Looking forward to the trip.
  • LOK - train sounds fine, as you say can be more relaxing than the airport.

I am almost certain that i saw women with pushchairs/babyjoggers last year - unless I was hallucinating as a result of the effort I put in.

I will see if i can dig anyhting up for you too.
  • thanks freefall

it maybe i just wasn't speaking to the right person

anyway, thinking about it now , not so bad - i'd rather run without the jogger if i'm honest and i'm thinking i can figure something out with the creche somehow

just a shame he won't see me finish though that way - i mean , if he's stuck at the creche - but he'll probably break out to come and see my final moments !

lol

it's all a bit new to me this running thing so will probably be emotional moment finishing the 10k
  • LOK - will look into it today, and also the creche if i can. It is a pity that you cannot get help from family. My mum was always a bit 'iffy'about my running - could not undersatnd why. So, when I decided to do my first marathon last year I did not tell her. She then found out and was more upset that i had not told her that about the fact that i was running a marathon!! She then secretly arranged to come to Inverness to support me!!! I was amazed, and she is now much more supportive.
  • Hi Freefall, I'll do your questionnaire if you send it over. Let me know if you have problems sending it.
    I'm looking forward to Glasgow this year, it's in the run up to my Edinburgh attempts! It was great fun last year, but I'm not sure I'll be able to achieve as good a time this year.
    The best bit about this event is the warm up at the beginning, it's so funny to watch.
    I run because Mountain Bikes cost too much money and trainers cost a lot less... :)
  • thanks freefall
    very kind

re my mum, it's not that she's anti , actually i am sure she is pleased for me to be doing something to improve my health and lose weight
    and she is going to be there for my first race a couple of weeks before
    but she has commitments to other grandchildren and my dad , so prioritising a trip to glasgow from london on my behalf is not something i can fairly insist on !

anyway, perhaps i am being too negative about my son's ability to cope with the creche.
  • Kids are pretty resilient LofK and it's only for a couple of hours maximum that you'd have to leave him. Plus, he's at the age now where he'll have to be getting used to being away from you?? Or does that sound harsh coming from a non-mother?
  • LOK/Soph - I have 2 children and work full time so that had to go to nursery from an early age. I found that they did cope well, and that although you might have howls and tears as you dropped them off, within a cuple of minutes they were happy as can be. The distraction of other children and extivities always won the day.

One thing I will say though is that I have girls, and they do seem to be more independant. I have noticed with friends that have boys that they can be a bit more clingy.
  • my son has some specific issues to do with separation resulting from divorce and some mistakes we made in handling that
    - i ended up having to become a kind of selfmade expert on psychology of "separation anxiety" - as of necessity

obviously all kids make a bit of a fuss at the start, when you leave them, that's normal. it's been way beyond that with him though in the past.

he is miles better than he was though, and i maybe underestimate how far he 's come on with that side of things now

he does go to nursery and nowadays he's fine there, so you'd think he'd be fine at a creche wouldn't you
    - it's a long story and i won't bore you guys with it!

i may just go for it and take a chance

otherwise i'll be the one running with the kid on my shoulders!
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    LOK - I would go for it. The advantage will be that all the other kids in the creche will be in the same position. I have used creches in the past for my two, who are now normal (by that I mean foul!!) teenagers with no separation issues. They were also affected by divorce/separation issues at the age of 2 and 4.
    I'm still hoping to run, depending on my ITBS...
    Deb
  • ps soph - yes, you're absolutely right - he's coming up to school age - and most kids of that age are pretty good at being left for short periods

i do find that kids are very variable though and also when they are real babies you can leave them with anyone as they don't know what's going on

there is an intense period of separation anxiety that starts for all children anywhere around 9 or 12 months and last to 18months or later.
    if that period is disrupted by the loss of a key caring figure in that child's life, then you can get problems with them not coping with separations well at older ages.

unfortunately this is not widely understood by the average person - not even most paretns - i didn't know it myself - i bl**dy wish i had as i would have handled things after the split with my ex very differently

• thanks debbo
    sorry - just cross posted to soph with my last one
    it's tough isn't it with little ones being upset?
    and two is harder than one i am sure
    glad to hear they are on fine form now...am dreading the teenage phase myself!

LoK

• LofK, that's understandable that he's been nervous in the past! If you make it clear to him that Mummy will be back in a couple of hours and make sure you take his favourite toys etc., then he should be alright. Make sure you keep telling him in the days leading up to the race that you are going to leave him at the creche and the idea of it should help to relax him. Plus, you could try the bribe theory, in that when you come back you'll take him for a nice meal in McDonalds or something he enjoys. Then hopefully he'll feel more secure.
  • LOK - childhood anxiety is difficult. My 2 have had to go through my husband being treated twice for cancer - differnet thing I know, but lots of things going on in little heads that do not come out unitl much later, at which point you left with a huge guilt complex and thinking that you are a bad parent for not spotting it.

I think that you should go for it. I was planning to try and sort out a meeting point for forumites pre-race, and if you are having real problems with the little would he maybe hang about with my husband and kids???

Talking of meeting places - I reckon that a good spot will be near the muster point. The path in the park divides and in the divide is a grey granite thing that looks as if it was one a drinking fountain. It will also be near to the loos and the area where they do the aerobic warm-up.

All I need to do now is figure out how we can all recognise each other - numbers will be good once we have them, and I might be persuaded to wear my fluffy bunny ears or hold up a bit of paper.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Freefall - I'll recognise you at least. That means there would be two of us looking for the rest of the numbers.
    I expect I'll be running a very slow race though - have only just got back after 4 weeks off - my longest run so far was 4 miles last night. My ITB is ok, but my shins were very sore!
    Deb
  • freefall
    firstly - very sorry to hear that you have obviously gone through a tough time - sounds like you were having to be strong for all four of you - wow
    secondly - thanks so much for your *very* kind offer re my son . actually , i am going to book a creche place and see how it goes nearer the day. hopefully he will be fine

Anyway, might be a bit much for your hubbie to look after all three of them especially if my son is playing up!
    let's keep in touch though and speak nearer to race day , even if only to say hi.
    In fact, am now thinking of making a weekend of it and site-seeing the city a bit.
  • ps
    freefall
    will note down your muster point idea and email you my race number later on - actually i think they sent me something already?
  • LOK - the number that you currently have is not your race number but an entry referecne. The race numbers are not sent out until about 2 weeks before.

Debbo - will also recognise you - so hopefully between the two of us will will manage to spot a few others.

I reckon we will all be doing different times etc and will want to position ourselves in different places in the muster - so was thinking a pre-muster meet up and that spot is good cos it is at the back end of the muster area.

LOK - Glasgow has got plenty to offer - it is lovely city with loads to see and it is pretty child friendly too. Let me know if you want any sight-seeing ideas
  • ok that makes sense
    will let you know when my travel plans are set
    at which time will definitely welcome siteseeing tips

am inclined to wait till after my first ever race on 3may to see how i survive and whether injury free etc, before booking hotel or flight on this (although may lose cheap flight ) i was gonna do train but it takes sooo long i am rethinking flight idea

was at flm today supporting - wow - what an amazing event
  • LOK - wathed it on TV and it still looked pretty amazing.

Tip re the flights - you may find that if you are preared to travel at an odd time that the BA and BM might give you a good price. I recently booked tickes for a reltive at short notice and BA gave us the cheapest deal!!!
  • update
    a) did a 10k course (not race) and it took me 1h54 - mainly walking which is best i can do at mo
    b)been having real trouble with my ankle but it's an old injury so am not necessarily stopping training
    c) will not do 10k planned for a couple of weeks before this

wondering
    - how bad would it be to do this race in a 2hr type time - was anyone that slow last year?

or may come as spectator and tourist for weekend anyhow
  • LofK, plenty of people did slower times than that last year, so go for it. Plus, the medals worth it at the end. :)
  • LOK - Soph is right. Plenty of people take their time and quite a few walk it, and the suppor tstays in place and you still get the medal.

Definitley go for it. As long as your ankle clears up you will be fine to run and it is a good event for a first race.

You could always do some run walk.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    LOK - I would agree - you will be spurred on by the crowds and like Freefall says, you may manage some run walk.
    I think I will be doing my slowest 10k time yet! Still can't get my pace up after a month off with injury, but I will just take my time and enjoy it!
    Deb
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have any idea whether I would be mad to drive from Edinburgh and expect to be able to park anywhere near the start? If not - is getting there from the train easy enough?
    Deb