Britannic Asset Management Women's 10k

Comments

• Thanks for starting the number posting debbo.

Have managed to track my pack down. It is languishing at the sorting office, and no one had bothered to put a card through my door!!!

If there is anyone else out ther who has not got their pack I woudl suggest you try your sorting office. Other than that it is a trip down to the City Inn (Glasgow, Finnieston Quay nr the SSEC)on Friday or Saturday morning to a new pack issued.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Wicked witch 8822
    Debbo 2075
    Sarah S 6642
  • Wicked witch 8822
    Debbo 2075
    Sarah S 6642
    Freefall 1399

At last. The story is that our posty is off and the guy providing the cover did not see the pack at the back of the rack????

I will be arriving early in order to get parking and of course to ensure my status as a cruel mum dragging her kids out way too early with the sole purposeof inducing boredom.

Good news - we are currently in negotiations with BBC Scotland regarding the why women run idea, and although we have missed the boat with the 10k (due to the beeb being so slow)the director has been speaking to the event organisers and will be there with 'press priviledges'and we are hoping to find a story that we can follow through other events during the year.

The plan is to use one story as the main trhead through the film and then build around it with other input from otehr runners, elites trainers etc.
  • Forgot to say - the t-shirt really is very very pink - erk!! I have to say it won't look quite as impressive as the sea of purple that they have had at the start in the last few years.

I will not be sporting mine - pink really is not my colour and as debbo says it will clash horribly with my extremely red face!!

Anyone going for the £100 first to finish wearing the t-shirt?????

If you are a sub 50 chances are you would stand a good chance since none of the elites or club runners bother wearing them so it will the a fast 'fun' runner that will get it.
  • Folks - just looked at the site map.
    The meeting point that i have suggested will be in the middle of the assembly area just where the path taht has the toilet symbol on it intersects witht eh assmbly area.

So lets revise the meeting point and for those of us who want to meet up lets hang about the info desk.
  • Have just found this thread! Mutch more sensible to post things here! Thanks Audrey for the email with details. Not bringing children with me this time, just a very jet lagged husband! Might even end up going alone, depending if I can wake him on Sunday morning!
  • Flip me, £100!!! Why wasn't I told this before!!! Maybe, I will wear it then after all... How heavy can it be soaked in sweat. It can't be as hard as running home with a rucksack like yesterday.... :)
  • Anyone looked up the weather forefast?
    I did a section of the route on my 10 mile run today and it was not pleasant - too hot.

Not particularly clever of me, I was mid way through my run and just happened to be in Pollok Park so thought I would try a bit of speed between the 4 and 7 k markers, the section with the hill, well 2 hills actually. Did the 3 k in 15.21, but rather tired, then thought I wouls press ont o the 9k marker before turning round and heading for home. Big mistake when hungry, hot and with insufficient hydration.

Well, hopefully that will count as a poor rehearsal??????????? hope, hope, hope.
    Ah, a pig just flew past.

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Freefall - what time do you think you'll be there? I'll look for you at the info desk. I will be there early in order to get a parking space. I hope it isn't too hot on Sunday - my run yesterday was good because it was cool and breezy. I definitely won't be wearing that pink tshirt - no chance of me winning the £100 anyway!
  • Met office says it's going to be a grim cloudy day! Ughhhh
    http://www.meto.gov.uk/weather/europe/uk/
  • weather - well forecasts beyond 48hours are unreliable but i've just got this for glasgow Sunday:

18 deg C
    no rain but grey ie 75% cloud cover
    wind 8mph NE

http://www.metcheck.com

worth rechecking this on friday though!

would also say that i got a very accurate local forecast on the morning of my local race and it said it would rain for sure - but rain held off for the whole of the race and started just after the last finisher got back!

so there is a god (maybe?!)
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Cloudy sounds good to me! I don't like it to be too hot.
  • That looks like it will be cloudy and humid then with a temp of 18 deg C - yeuch!

I am hoping to get over there for between 8.30 and 8.45. It only takes a bit over 5 mins for us to drive over, and then there will be the big husband vs wife debate on exactly where we should park.....
    Anyway will head straight for the loos which are near the info desk/van. That was already in situ today.
  • Debbo forgot to say - do you want to exchange mobile nos? If so - just drop me an email. I know I can get it off your questionaire probably - but I now have rather a lot of them, so it will be easier just to drop it in an email
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Freefall - yes, I'll send you my mobile number and you could send yours. I must read my information pack.... I have done a 15 mile run this week and plan to do 5 or 6 tomorrow morning so will not be very rested on sunday. I don't think I can afford to lay off though, what with Edinburgh looming and 15 being my longest run so far!

Any more numbers from anyone?
  • Debbo - I know the feeling. Thankfully I have all the Lochaber training behind me so only plan one long run between now and Edinburgh.
  • Wicked witch 8822
    Debbo 2075
    Sarah S 6642
    Freefall 1399
    Geordie Girl 12586 (the slow one !)

I'll aim for the info desk for 8:45-9:00.

Freefall - I will eMail you my mobile number, and if you are still looking for questionnaires to be completed please send one back and I will fill it in.

Anyone else nervous for Sunday ?
  • Geordie - girl - great. when I get your email I will send you my mobile and a questionnaire.

I am nervous too. Would dearly love to go sub 50, but suspect from yesterday's run that I lack the speed this year, probably because of the injury earlier in the year and all the distance work for the marathons. Bummer. Each year that I have done this race I have got faster so it will be a big disappointment if I am slower this year.
  • I am very, very nervous now! I think I am not only nervous about the race but the ammount of people that will be there! All seems very daunting now. Keep trying to remember the abdominal breathing in an effort to calm myself down but i'm too wound up to concentrate on it! God only knows what I will be like come Saturday night!
  • Sarah - it is a fab event, and an incredibly supportive one - probably because it is all women.

Which start zone are you in? In the past the start has been a bit frantic and can be a bit aggressive as people try to get away, but hopefully this year it will be better with the staggered start, and with everyone colour coded.

In previous years the big problem has been that people have not put themselves in the correct start zone, so you have had 60 minute people in with the 50 minute ones which accounts for the issues at the start as faster people were getting held up by slower ones and slower people were being forced to set out too quickly.

The trick is to not get swept along too quickly at the start. If you can use the hill in the first k to give yourself some space it is good,things start to spread out by the 3k, save something for the hill in pollok park which is not steep but is almost 1k long (5k marker is part way up first section, then slight dip and the main section of hill takes you to a bit past 6k, them go for it in the last 3k. Remember also that there is a full k to do once you are back into Bellahouston Park. Your mind can play real tricks on you at that point and deceive you into thinking that your are closer to the finish than you actually are.

There is tons and tons of support round the entire route. It thins a bit in Pollok Park, but there is always a good crowd as you come out of the park.

Last year there was a bloke by the gates as you come out of pollok park, shouting 'Come on girls, go for it, you're wonderful, your beautiful, I love you all!!!' A tad over enthusiastic,and clearly lycra induced but a great boost nevertheless.

Best way to combat the nerves is to hook up with someone before the race and just chat and have a laugh - it does relax you. The worst thing you can do is pace around alone and get keyed up.
  • Thanks Freefall, that round up of the event has put my mind at rest, a little! I am looking forward to meeting up with you all and am determined to find you this time! so if you can put up with my nervous chatter?! I have a yellow number, 6642 so I won't be able to start with any of you which is a shame, but never mind I'm sure I will find someone to blether to at the start line.
  • Wicked witch 8822
    Debbo 2075
    Sarah S 6642
    Freefall 1399
    Sarah Statham 6642

Just to keep the list going....
    Anyone else ??
  • Wicked witch 8822
    Debbo 2075
    Sarah S 6642
    Freefall 1399

Oops - carried away....Sarah, you nearly had to run twice !
  • No, please Geordie Girl, I can just about manage once!
  • Wicked witch 8822
    Debbo 2075
    Sarah S 6642
    Freefall 1399
    Geordie Girl 12586
    Debstir 3864

Looks like 3 of us are in the same start zone.
    Sarah - will you not be int he same zone as wicked witch??
  • Hiya. Got my number in the post this morning - 3864.

Did anyone get a T-shirt in size SMALL that they would like to swap for a size MEDIUM? I got a medium and have tried it on, it drowns me! If anyone would like a swap, email me or get in touch via here and I'll arrange to swap 'em over!

I ran the Auld Took 10k in Dunfermline for a tester/warm up for Sunday - so I've got 57:21 to beat!!

• Yes Freefall I didn't notice that, not quite alone then!

Debstir - I agree about the T shirt size, I too asked for a Medium and the both of us could fit it let alone just one! Never mind it will be good for bedwear.
  • Is there anybody still out there?

I'm new to all this and have been lurking on forums for a couple of weeks before getting up the guts to say hello.

I'm running the 10K on Sunday. Gulp. Started running 8 weeks ago to provide company to some friends who planned on doing this so this is my first 'race'. Problem is I kind of overestimated how long it would take me, pit 1 hour 15 on my entry form but am running 6 miles between 49 and 52 minutes! Have spoken to the race organisers who say I can start in the purple group (have a pink number) but having read previous posts I'm a bit concerned that I'm just going to annoy people. Should I just stay in the pink group and accept that I'm not going to get the time I wanted?
  • Stampi, If you're running that sort of time, then I'd move up.
    Last year, I was in the same position and started a bit further down the field! It is incredibly difficult to be weaving past people the whole time. I think I ran an extra kilometre avoiding people...
  • Thanks, just a bit worried that I'll bottle it on the day and end up slowing everyone else down! Oh well, this is supposed to be a FUN run isn't it?