Options

Britannic Asset Management Women's 10k

Comments

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I'll be there around 8.30 too - I'll just look for you Freefall. But for others - I'll be wearing a turqoise running top and blue shorts with an orange panel. I have very short fair hair/curly on top and rimless glasses. I'll hopefully be standing with Freefall!
  • Options
    Ladies,
    I'm meeting up with others from my running club for team photos etc for the work's newsletter thingy, but I'll try and get to the info desk at some point. I'll have a blue vest on with white panels down the side with a small St Andrews flag on it with 'SPSAAC' in small red letters. Blue shorts, brown hair scraped in to a ponytail, and a nervous expression on me coupon!
    If I don't meet up with you, good luck to you all and enjoy the day!!
    Off to my mum's soon (leaving from there tomorrow - it's closer!) so probably won't be back online till tomorrow at the earliest.
  • Options
    Tina if you are there - I am going to be in the yellow section tomorrow - no 7239 - I will be wearing a re/pink top. getting nervous now - hope to bump into you tomorrow.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Freefall it was good to meet you again (and mr FF and the little bunnies too) and Sarah it was good to meet you finally - you must have got a good time! It was good to meet you too Geordie girl - we looked for you at the finish, but too many people.
    I enjoyed the race, although found it a bit of a dodgem in the first k and also far too hot for me! I don't usually take the water, but did today and poured it down my back!
    I did 57.20something on my watch - not my best, but I was pleased after my recent injury. How did everyone else do?
    Sorry we didn't manage to meet up with the rest of you. Where were you!?
  • Options
    Well done debbo, good time considering the heat and congested start.
  • Options
    Debbo - yep great to catch up again. We gave up trying to find people shorlty after you left. I saw your friends - one was in tears - could not figure out why but she was Ok as she had found her sister.

I managed 50.08 4 secs slower than last year, but givent he heat and my recent problems I am more than happy with it.

Teh organisation as ever was fanatstic and some real improvments. The colour coded pulse start believe it or not did help the conjection. The loos along the assembly area were a great idea too. Also the funnel at the finish, whilst longer, was great to keep the flow going.

I hope that you did well Gerodie girl. As Deb said - good to meet you at last Sarah and well done - it sounds like you got a great time. Let us know.
  • Options
    Sorry I never met up with you all before the race. By the time I met up with the girls from the work's club then stood in the queue for the loo at Bellahouston Sports Centre, it was time to get to the start!
    I managed an ok for me 55:18, considering I ran it in 58:00 two years ago (never ran it last year - Scottish round of British Superbikes was on the same day!).
    I had the same problem as two years ago - I was trying not too barf for the last 250 metres!! Embarrasing, but I managed to keep it down (just!!)
    The start was not bad, but I was dodging people the whole way round. I would say 'excuse me' if I came up behind someone and couldn't get by (rather than barge through), and nearly everyone was fine with that. Although one pleasant little lady told me to 'F*** off'!!! I don't think she meant me to hear though!
    Yep, it was far too warm and I did the same with the water down my back.
    Hope you all enjoyed.
  • Options
    Hi Debbo and Freefall - good to meet briefly this morning, made me feel a real part of this forum. Considering I have just mastered the 5K in one go I was over the moon just to finish - a smidge under 80 mins, will check the official results once they are out to be sure. Never run in such heat - water station much needed, one for me and one over my head !! Seems to be a theme here.

Couldnt see anyone at the end - needle in a haystack scenario !

Well organised, great fun, and couldnt believe how many people I passed - even me, the beginner !! Ran the flats and down bits, but confess to walking (albeit as fast as I could) up the hilly bits. Shattered now, and having done the Asda battle, off for a long soak in the bath.....thanks to all on here for encouraging me
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Geordie girl - well done! That's great - do you have the bug now? Considering you had only done 5k before that was a good time.
    Freefall - I found my friends after I left you - no tears - I don't know what that was about..
  • Options
    Hi Girls

Sorry I never managed to meet up with you all! My friend and I (and men and kids) stayed in the Swallow - there were 5 ladies at breakfast when we were down but I don't know if any of you were any of them!

I had a good run until the end! I thought that the 250 to go was the end and I slowed down - then my legs practically gave way - I was going for it trying to get under the hour - at that point my watch said 59.13 so I would have done it - but I couldn't get my legs to go again and staggered over the line probably about 1hr 2min! What a dafty!

Very hot though! My friend's first ever race - she was high after it! Where next girls?
  • Options
    Not sure about the pulse start - I was at the back of the purple group and just before the off the group behind all joined in - ther was no next gun, I think it was free for all as in previous years as there were people walking at Nithsdale Road yet again. As per a previous forumites comments would the marshalls stop the goups mixing - the answer was no. Am I moaning probably although I agree the funnel finish meant a quick exit, but the balloons just before the finish caught all of my group out who thought that was it and had sprinted for them - not good.
  • Options
    Looked for you all, but couldnt see anyone, i was waiting by the disabled loos next too the info centre at 9.16am. You all did really good times. I did it in about 67mins. Was so hot and felt really sorry for the people who had collapsed on the way round. Next race Helensburgh 10k, whats everyone else got next.
    Was really disappointed i never got to meet any of you, maybe at the GSR we will manage it if anyones doing that one.
    Well done everyone
    Tina
    xxx
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Tina - sorry we missed you too. 67 minutes is not too bad! I'm doing the GSR so maybe we'll meet then.
  • Options
    Definately got the bug now - picked up info for the GSR and am going to sign up today.

MOTR - I stayed at the Swallow too, but didn't go for brekkie - the hotel seemed to be full of runners though!

That last 250m was a nightmare - I too had sprinted (I use the term loosely!) when I saw the balloons thiking that was the end - and just mustered up enough puff to get me over the line.....so heartbreaking to see one lady who had collapsed just before the finish line :-(

• Options
    Well done everyone.
    Tina - we must have been looking at each other! we were on the other side of the path to the disbled loos and just up the hill a bit - about 5 metres - doh!

Bummer about the start at the back of the purple group. I was right at the front of the purple and they left a minute between the whites going and purple starting - and there was now way that we were getting past the rope until they were ready.

I did some some eager purples joining the whits just befor they moved them forward. The marshalls spotted them and then would not let anyone else through.

Of course next year everyone will lie about their predicted finish times to get nearer teh front. So I suspect that teh pulse start will not work, unless they marshall the start earea better and put a longer gap between the pulses.

This was my 4th year, so I know what the start is like and have learned out to negotiate the start fairly well. I run on the left side close to the barriers, and then weave in and out when I see the opportunity, but right through the race I was aware of having to modify my pace at times either slowing or speeding. It is not ideal if you are going for a time. Too unpredictable.

I am doing Loch Leven half on Saturday and I will be doing the GSR Half in August too.

• Options
    Morning all, well done to everyone. Wow what a heat yesterday! And what a lot of people! It was a great race though. Very hard to get a good time though, too many people to waeve in and out of and 'stoppers'! But none the less had a great time.
    Freefall - apologies my phone went a bit on the blink yesterday, it's an old handset and I think the heat was too much for it! Only got your messages when I got home and swapped my sim card into another handset (long story, all to do with husband losing his handset in L.A etc.!) Anyway wasn't ignoring you! What a great time you had, well done. It was fantastic to fianlly meet up with you and put a face to a name, as I said your advice has been invaluable over the months and I am sure I will be bothering you again!
    Deb/Geordie Girl - It was lovely to meet you too and well done. Onto Edinburgh....!!

Does anyone know where you get yesterdays offcial results? I have no idea what my time was! Where do I look?
  • Options
    I think you need to get the evening times this afternoon to get all the results.

I really enjoyed yesterday although I didn;t get a great time and spent most the race trying to get past people. I started in the wrong group (overestimated how long it would take me when I entered months ago) and so I had a really tough time getting on. Never really settled into my own pace as kept coming up behind a wall of slower runners - sounds like I am moaning and I am not really just found the business a bit stressful.

Loved the pipers and the mexican band though and did everyone see the sign for 'mum and auntie lesley' My sister and I were doing the race together - she is Lesley and even althoug It wasn;t my little boy holding up the sign - it could have been us. - We both saw it at diffrenet times and laughed and today it is in the Herald.

ANyone else doing CLydebank on the 3rd of June?
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Sarah - I reckon you must have done under 52 minutes - if you started with the yellows. My friends were in the yellows and think that they got over the line with around 6 minutes on the clock. I finished in 57 something and you overtook me, so I think you were probably very speedy! Well done! Let us know though. I'm also waiting for the official results.
    I also enjoyed the music - especially the mexican band and the second lot of drummers going into pollok park.
  • Options
    Deb - I don't know if you overtook me again though, I got a bit tangled up with people in the park and lost some time then, so I don't think I did that well, but I am hoping that I was under the hour, we will have to wait and see. Yes, the music was great, really helped me along as did the crowds who were super fun.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Sarah I don't think I did overtake you. What was the time on the clock when you finished? You must have been under 55 minutes anyway - but I'm still betting on 52-53!!
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Sarah I don't think I did overtake you. What was the time on the clock when you finished? You must have been under 55 minutes anyway - but I'm still betting on 52-53!!
  • Options
    gymbunny - I fancy doing the Clydebank on the 3rd, have done the Vale of Leve (and will be doing it again this year) but fancy doing an evening run. Have you run this one before? if so what is the course like
  • Options
    Deb - I went over the line in 59 something on the official clock, but I don't know when I crossed the start so fingers crossed! What time did the official clock say when you crossed?
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    The official clock said 59 something when I finished, and I crossed the start at 1.50. You must have been at least a few minutes after me crossing the start, because I was quite near the start of the purples. I think you've done better than you think!!
  • Options
    Ding - I haven't done any of the polaroid series before - this is my first summer of racing. My first 10 k race was Wednesday at Troon and my second was the britannic asset.
  • Options
    OOOHHHH I hope so Deb!
  • Options
    njoyed reading your comments this morning after the race glad to see some of you came up against the same problems as me. Biggest gripe was getting stuck behind walls of slower runners and those who started to walk 500m over start line! Last 250m killed me as i also thought finish was in sight sped up only to discover i had bit further to go -- not a good move! Overall though had a great day and looking forard to edinburgh on june 3rd would like to meet up with any one doing race as this is my first marathon and feeling bit nervous! well done on all your times i scraped through in 54.19 hoping for a bit faster but not really possiblein such a big event and with the heat.

Keep running xx
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    l millar - have a look on the edinburgh marathon thread. It is my first marathon too, and I am also nervous - and not prepared enough either. Sarah S is also doing Edinburgh.
    Sarah - fingers crossed!!
  • Options
    debbo & sarah - you must have come in pretty close to each other.

Can't remember if the official results come out today or tomorrow. The organisers have a deal with the Evening times and so do not publish the results on the website until the paper has gone out.

I agree that it is a complete pain having to keep altering your pace as it means that you cannot get into a regular comfy stride pattern. I was not too bad at the front of the purples, but still encountered people who would stop dead, or who were runnning with friends shoulder to shoulder across the entire route, who then were a bit put out as you pressed through them. At least I was not told F*** off.

I am a firm believer that this event is more about taking part than going for PBs - which is a shame. I have never had a PB at this event even though I have shown consistent improvements. Save the PBs for the smaller events.

I agree about the last 250 - the location of that walkway was a huge mistake on the organisers part. I eckon that is why some of the 40 - 50 minuters had to be helped over the finish. They tend to run a hadr race and are pretty much on empty when they come in for the final sprint, so if they had sprinted for the walkway thinking it as the finish they will have had nothing left for that last 250.
  • Options
    Don't know if I can wait until tomorrow!!

Freefall - your little girls were so sweet by the way and very polite. They must make you very proud.

I Miller - Yes I am as nervous as Deb about Edinburgh, it's my first too! I have to say that Freefall is right about meeting up with people at the start, it really does help calm the nerves to have a chat and a laugh. Gives you something else to focus on rather than all those pre race jitters! What made you decide to do the marathon?