Britannic Asset Management Women's 10k

Comments

• Hi there, well done everyone! Really enjoyed myself, the hills weren't half as bad as I expected although I did trip over a patch of dense air just before the one in Pollock park and bloodied both hands and both knees.

Came in at 51.35 according to my watch, not bad for 8 weeks training I guess but I'd secretly hoped for sub 50 as I've run this several times in training - maybe clapping and cheering for the drummers and pipers sapped some of my enery!

I did end up sneaking into the purple start group and got some v.odd looks but I guess that's understandable as I had a pink number on. As this was my first race I have nothing to compare it too but I thought the organisation was great and the start didn't seem too bad.

Have to find another 10k to train for now!
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Stampi - that's a fantastic time for a first race - well done! You fell too, so I imagine you would have lost a bit of time and pace too.
  • Thanks debbo. Not sure how much time the fall cost me as I was up like a shot out of pure humiliation! But if any of the very nice ladies who made sure I was ok are out there then thankyou very much. My boyfried kindly informed me that he'd seen several other people fall over during the course of the race....but they were all under 7. Hmm.
  • Stampi - well done! Sub 50 next year. Although I am tempted to say try for it in another 10k. Stirling in sptember is a good one. That is where i got my sub 50 last year.

Girls - results in the Eevening Times.
    Sarah - not sure if they have it in Dundee shall I email your time and place?
  • Thanks Freefall, will look up Stirling race. Hope you all had a good day! wasn't the atmosphere great
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Stampi - I saw two people fall and neither of them were under 7 and neither of them could have been you , as I was way behind you!
    Sarah - tell us your time when you get it.
    Freefall - will you check mine - if you can be bothered wading through all of those names!!- it'll be around 57.30.
  • debbo - you've got mail
    and so do you Sarah
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    sarah - I'm waiting with anticipation for your result!
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Freefall - thanks - now that makes no sense to me! 58.26, when my watch said 57.28 and I went over the start at 1.50ish and over the finish in 59.20ish!! Did you get the time you thought you would get?
  • 58.30! Am pleased but could have done better, under the circumstances though not bad.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Sarah - well done, although I don't understand these times. I can't believe you got across the start so close to me - there were masses of purple numbers behind me! Sorry if I got you thinking you were much faster than you were. I will check with my friends later and see how they did, because they were in the yellow start too, and came in a long way behind you and I (one of them is faster than me and the time on the clock for her was 1.03 - that's where we got the six minutes to get through the start theory from).
  • Freefall - hope I am not being too cheeky....I've emailed you my 'proper' name and race number, if you get a chance could you check my time as I'm not sure I'll get the paper where I stay. Thanx
  • Geordie Girl - how did you get on?
  • Deb - No I am a little lost with the time too. The girl who finished in front of me said she stopped her watch at 56mins and something! oh never mind, as freefall said it was as much about the atmosphere and being part of the event as it was about times. I'm glad I was there and I think we all did really well.
  • Sarah - hoping I can find out before tomorrow.

Just wanted to say well done to everyone !! I have already signed up for the Loch Ness 10K on 3rd Oct and just need to check out travelling routes and then get registered for the GSR - you have all got me so inspired !!

Mustn't get too carried away - small matter of 4 R4L 5Ks I have already booked for the next six weeks !!!!

Thanks again for all your encouragement.
  • Geordie girl - will do.

Deb & Sarah - it is wierd. I did do a double take when I found Deb's time cos I was sure that she said 57 something. My time was fine there, the official time was 3 secs slower than my watch (which is same difference between watch and official that i got last year).

I know that in the half marathon last year they published the wrong results for some runners. Some had the clock times published rather than the chip times - I wonder????
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Freefall - did they sort it out last year - how did people find out some had the clock times rather than chip times? It still wouldn't make sense if it was a clock time anyway as that was definitely 59.20something! Oh well, never mind, it's the taking part that counts.
  • Stampi,
    Good run for a PB is the Strathcarron 10k in Denny in October(?). There is one killer of a hill near the end but I got my first sub 50 there last year despite it.

I agree wholeheartedly with everyone about the walkway at 250m. I think that's maybe why I was wretching for the lsat 250 metres; my body thought it was time to finish and I still pushed it that bit further. Also, if people want to walk then that's great, their choice (or in yesterday's case with the heat, maybe not!) but it would make so much more sense for them not to try and start with the elite runners!! Well, finished my early shift so going out for a wee run, looking forward to Aberdeen. Even toying with the idea of going up on the Saturday night now. We'll see...
  • Thanking you Debstir, will check it out!
  • Guys - the paper is definately wrong. My published time is 4 mins out and my sisters is the same - we reckon our chips were activated when we were still walking towards the start line. It was at 5 mins when we got to it (we were in the yellow) and I started my watch as I passed the line and again stopped it as I passed the finish(after nearly passing out at the bl**dy bridge after sprinting like everyone else). AS I passed the finish clock it was at 59 something so I know my timing was right and the chips got it worng. I think if anyone was i the white or purple group then their time won;t be too far out but the rest of us will be off.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Gymbunny - I would agree, but mine seems to be only about a minute out. Strange isn't it - these chips are meant to be accurate!
  • Yes but if you went over the start at 1 min something and then you are 1 min out after the results were published then your chip was started when the race started rather than when YOU started. If that makes sense.
  • I think they've actually taken your time from when you crossed the finish line, regardless of where you started. I looked at the clock when I crossed the start and was just over 4 minutes. My time in the paper (thanks for the info mum!) was just over 4 minutes out. I know exactly what you mean gymbunny! I don't think my explanation's all that clear though!

Been my 4 mile run, and have discovered that my Kayanos have given me my blisters. Ran ok in them last year but this year they've taken a dislike to me feet. Just run in my 2070's and they're fine! Bye bye Kayanos, they'll do for the gym!! At least they only cost me £50!!
  • Geordie Girl - still not an email with your name.

Debbo - they did sort out the half marathon times after the council switchboard was log-jammed with complaints.

Knowing a bit about the technology - it is not possible to start the chips before you cross the mats. A low/short range signal is emitted under the mats. Sorry to disillision you.

However, when you finish it records both times - the actual clock time and the chip swithcing off. They then have to subract the difference. I supect that for some reason some of the chips have not had this happen. I do know that the chip activation is split over the two mats. It may be that the correct results have come from one mat and the incorrect from the other????

All I can say is that my time is fine there is a difference of 3 secs whcih I expected.

Absolute bummer. may be worth contacting the event organisers.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Freefall - I don't understand - I know that the chips are only activated/deactivated by the mats - maybe my watch is wrong - it is only a free runner's world one after all!
    Sarah - I hope you don't mind, but I've added your name to the forumite list on the Edinburgh thread.
    Mr Techno-head Debbo says maybe the signals were not strong enough and messed things up.
  • Could it be that my sister and I didn;t pass over the mats - we were overtaking even at the start because everyone was walking. This is really bugging me - I know its not really very important but I was all excited when I got the paper hoping that I had done it a bit faster than my watch had said - only to get a shock when I eventually found my name.
  • gymbunny - you must have passed over at least one set of mats for there to be any result at all.

The start and the mats were at the canopy of balloons about 100 metres up Nithsdale road from the the park gates.
    Technically you should have been walking up to that point and then starting to jog/run as you passed under it and over the mats. So unless you somehow dodged round the side of it??? Or, I wonder what would happen if you did not actually stand on either of the mats but simply leapt/ran over them????

I can fully understand why it is bugging you. These things are important. I know how disappointed i was after the half marathon when my published time was 2 mins out.

I suspect that from your description of the timings that your time has gone in the paper without having the substraction done between the chip stop and clock time. That would explain why debbo is about a minute out from near the front of the purples and you are 4 mins out from further back - and based on the times each of you have supplied from the race clock.
  • Debbo - he may have a point - also - I am sure how susceptible these things are to heat????
  • Sarah - done a few 10ks and half marathons but always fancied a marathon. my youngest daughter poppy was born last year on june 2nd so it seemed a nice way to mark her first birthday by doing edinburgh on the 13th - although it may be my first and last as i have been plagued by knee injury since january!! will check edinburg thread and would def like to meet up with some other runners on race day.