Soft kneecap + surgery

Hi,

I have just had knee surgery to remove some loose bits of cartilage. Diagnosis = soft kneecaps! I think this is called Chondromalacia patella in doctor-speak.

Other knee was already operated on 13 years ago but I didn't run then...so no-one commented on whether I should or shouldn't run.

Has anyone else had this problem to the extent of needing surgery? What are the long term prospects for running? Doctor so far has said "need to wait to see how knee settles after operation, but probably only run up to 5k"

I was training for half marathon....so I need to understand what the limits are (I don't want to be having knee replacements in 10 years time!)

Cheers, Helen

Comments

• Hello, I am in the same boat really...in September last year I had a blister shaved off the back of my kneecap, I was told I would be able to run again soon after only tried and it really hurt so have rested it now from running for 8 weeks. I don't know when or for how long I should start running again - ideally I would like to do some half marathons in the summer but need to get some training in first!
    It is really difficult to know how much is good and when it turns to being bad for the knee :-(
    Kate