Options

slow runner marathon questions

I'm running Brighton marathon in the spring, and I'm a slow runner, overweight and have been out previously with Planter fascia on the left foot. Aiming at about 6 hours finish. Unfortunately that means my long runs take a while - my 15.7 mile run last weekend took 3 hours 27.

It takes me roughly 2 days to get over these distance runs, but this time I felt a muscle in the base of my foot feel like it had gone. But I put it down to tiredness and 2 days later as with previous weeks I feel fine and will run again tomorrow.

I'm going to attempt to push it up to nearer to 18 miles at the weekend and preferably 20 miles before the marathon. Although I don't know if I should limit my runs to 3 and a half hours. The thought of arriving on marathon day with my longest run of 16 - 18 miles is terrifying, but push it mush further and I run the risk of not being on the start line at all. Anybody got any advice?

Comments

• Options
    Losing weight will help with the stress and strain on the body if you can.

I dont think theres that much to be gained in going from 18 to 20 in your circumstances - clearly you don't want to risk injury and if 15 miles takes 2 days to get over - 20 will be the best part of a week ?
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Not sure if anything over 3 hours is that beneficial, certainly not over 4 hours which is what an 18 would be for you.

I think perhaps more sessions but shorter might be better for you, just halves or 15max as your long runs; would make you fitter and less prone to injury, plus quicker recovery times.

Lots of runners will do a marathon with no runs over 13, and, if you stay injury free, then a steady 12minpermile + will get you round ok.
  • Options

Thanks for the replies, very useful!

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Training runs over 2:30 are pointless in terms of fitness although they may help mentally.

He best thing you can do is lose weight as Cougie has already said. The more weight you lose the faster you will be at the same effort level. I'd suggest it is much more important than running longer than 2:30

Do your long run as 2:30 and do a 40 min recover run the next day you'll get more benefit from the minutes spent running and it will keep your metabolism going.
  • Options
    WD60WD60 ✭✭✭

As someone who took three attempts to do a sub 6 hour marathon I would say that the most important thing is to get to the start line uninjured.

Going up to 20 miles is too big an injury risk but losing weight is good!  I started back running at 17 stone and running at 12 and a half stone is much betterimage

• Options

Do you run all the way or do you include walks in your runs? I ran at just under 5hrs last year and i had many walks during that. Even in my training run today of 28km i walked every 20 mins for 2 mins. The time doesnt matter so much on Long Runs, slower the better but time on your feet is probably what you need to risk injury.