Options

Are energy gels on offer at VLM

I'm experimenting with gels , drinks etc on the long runs in preparation for VLM. I believe lucozade is available at some drink stations and think I've read somewhere that gels are on offer . Can anyone clarify this so I can decide how many to carry on the day ? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Last year they had carbo gels at 14 and 21 according to the race day instructions.

Fwiw I always carry all of my gels with me plus a spare and then I don't have to rely on their stocks or me remembering to pick up.
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    They have energy drinks, I can still remember running with sticky shoes for ages!

Gels, you're better off carrying your own preferred brand, on a belt? Personally I find 4 is enough, every 6 miles/10K, but I have seen runners looking like Xmas trees with soooo many gels/drinks, must weigh then down a bit.

Unless you're fixated on your own energy drinks I'd never bother carrying a drink at London, the whole course is awash with water, biggest danger is flying bottles.image
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I usually carry my own gels. As Cougie says the on course ones are usually at miles 14 and 21.

No need to carry any water either as there is plenty en route. Stick to your practiced strategy. No need to drink at every water station.
  • Options

Thanks everyone  and given that advice I'll carry my own gels .

• Options

How often do you take the lucozade gels. I am doing my first marathon and just starting to use the gels. 

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Everyone is different so that's the sort of thing to work out in training.

I usually take one every 5 miles. 5,10,15 @ 20. I usually carry a spare but at London I'll carry 4 and grab one from an aid station if required.
  • Options

Thank you Millsy for your advice.  Today I did my LSR and took my gels at 5, 10 and got to 15 on the lucozade drink.  By doing this I had a much better run and now feel more confident at doing the marathon. 

• Options

I have not used gels before, but have been struggling on long runs relying on lucazade and jelly babies, apart from flavours is there any real differenc in the brands as I think I may have to update my training methods,lol

• Options
    I am using lucozade as that is what are offered at London. I have now switched to gels as the jelly babies are not enough. I would check what your race are handing out on the day. I am relatively new to running and this if my first marathon. Good luck with your training and have a fantastic race.
  • Options
    On the sachets it states 3 gel's every hour of exercise,that seems like a lot to carry and take on board, am I reading it wrong or is this just a marketing strategy?
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Take gels on early. After about 2 hours all the glycogen will have been used that you have stored. You then cannot consume as much as you will need. Early refuelling is key to not hitting the wall. Sometimes digestive systems will start to shut down later on in the race which makes early refuelling important. I take on a gel every 5k. What works for some doesn't work for others though. Better to take a couple of gels too many than not have enough.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Dave, the 3 per hour seems excessive. Don't forget you are going into the race with a full tank of fuel. From my experiment of 1 over 13 marathons I can do ok on 4.
  • Options

I would never take 1 one every 20 mins as they suggest...

i would be more like 2 an hour  or every 3 or 4 miles..... find what works best for you

• Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Every 5K Kenno? 8 gels, mine are 70g so thats 1/2 a kilo of gels sloshing around inside you - no wonder people have tummy trubs.image

And a lot of weight to carry.

My advice (19 Londons plus other marathons) is a good breakfast at 7am, gel/energy bar 1/2 an hour before the start, and then a gel every 5miles/10K, depends if your metric or imperial, and I don't bother after 20.

If you're well trained that should be enough.
  • Options
    +1 for every 5 miles. But if every 5k works for you then go with that.
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    senidM wrote (see)
    Every 5K Kenno? 8 gels, mine are 70g so thats 1/2 a kilo of gels sloshing around inside you - no wonder people have tummy trubs.image

And a lot of weight to carry. 

It worked well for me.  No energy issues at all.

• Options

Thanks for the advice folks, I am going to try a gel every 5 miles on my long run next Sunday and see how it goes, that gives me 1 more 20 miler to fine tune, and hopefully bobs your uncle, good luck to you all

• Options
    Thank you Milsy for your advice. I did 17 mile LSR yesterday and had a lucozade gel at 5 and 10 miles together with sipping a lucozade bottle and it all went really well. I didn't take one at 15 as I was almost done. I have also used the gel shots as an opportunity to do a small recovery walk for a minute. At the end of my run yesterday I was tired but felt good. Now looking forward to the race with less anxiety.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it all went to plan. Good luck on the big day!