Flora London Half Marathon

Hi,
I am running in the London Half marathon at Silverstone on 7th March. At the minute I have run 8 miles but feel comfortable to run the full 13. I am running for Cancer Research and even if I have to walk round I am determined to complete it (ideally for myself, I dont want to stop running at all).
I have mainly done treadmill running and have completed several road runs but as I am a girl I dont like to run on the dark on my own and none of my friends are runners. I want to get as many road runs in before the race but it is always dark when I get home from work. Any suggestions?

Comments

• How about lunchtime runs?
  • good idea but my workplace doesnt have showers and I only get 3/4 of an hour for lunch
  • what time do you finish, and how do you get too and from work?
  • 4.45 and I drive to and from work. I couldnt run as I have to go through the Mersey tunnel each day
  • what about other people at your gym ? I'm a member at David Lloyds at Cheshire Oaks and I know they have a group that go out on Monday nights. I'm never with them as I too work in Liverpool and don't get home in time.
  • my gym is small and people tend to keep themsleves to themselves. Do you know of any running clubs?
    This is also my first race and I am unsure of how much training I should be doing!
  • loads of clubs on the Wirral, You need to find Mike S to get all the gen.

Ellesmere Port
    Helsby
    Dee Striders
    West Cheshire AC
    Tattenhall
    Vale Royal

Those are just the ones on the south Wirral I can think off
  • I need one in Wallasey/New Brighton area but I will have a look round for one.
    Thanks for your help
  • OK got to dash, but you need Mike he's north Wirral, or Fat Face he's Liverpool based (same company as me & I know he's on early shift. I'll try and find him tomorrow)

It sounds as if you are well on the way though. Just remember to enjoy it !

Chat soon

Dave
  • Hey - you don't have much time left!!! Why not try and aim to do one long run at the weekend (Saturday) - but don't do a whole 13 miles. Go for another 8 miler, then do 4 - 5 miles on Sunday - then try and take it easy for the rest of the week, maybe do a few easy treadmill sessions. Don't do anything on the Saturday before the race, just make sure you rest and eat lots of carbs.

One other piece of advice - if it's your first half, don't shoot off too fast at the beginning. Much better to try and do the first half at a very comfortable pace and if you have enough energy you can pick up the pace in the second half.

Good luck!
  • Ok, thanks for the advice. I will let you know how I get on!
  • Can't wait to hear how you get on, seems rather a long time since I did my first half
  • To say I am nervous is an understatement, probably a fear of failure but then I dont mind even if I have to crawl round, I will finish as its for charity.
  • the fear of failure if it's for charity can be a real problem

Friend of mine was running FLM in 2001, in aid of the special school where she worked.
    About 2 weeks before the big day she had a rotten cold, was sitting in the staff room when someone said what great things they would be able to buy the kids with the money she was raising ! Almost put her off running for life, but she did say it was great motivation over the last couple of miles
  • Yes it does motivate me and it least its only a half marathon. 13 miles seems 'do-able' rather than 26!
  • I did a half on Sunday, after no training for 3 weeks !!! 13 miles didn't seem do-able after 6 !!!!!!
  • That gives me more hope then!
    Must dash will keep you updated! Thanks for the advice.
  • GV come and say hi to the forumites....
  • I would love to stay and chat but I must get back to work! Again, thanks for the advice and stuff and I will keep you all updated.
  • Gemma - dont worry you'll DEFINITELY get round. It's a really flat course as I remember and very well organised. This time in a fortnight, you'll be glowing with well-deserved pride!
  • So long as I dont come in last I will be happy!
  • And so what if you did come in last, you are still miles ahead of all the people who could not be ar$€d to get of their fat Ar$€s and do it.
  • well said SwissBobby.

Anyway Ive bagsed the last place It's mine
    and I will walk to make sure of it.

woof woof
  • Morning Bently,

how is the paw doing?

are you running at silverstone?
  • SB

nice to hear from you, paw is on the mend, saw the physio last night and she says that it's OK to run ( didn't tell her that Ive already pounded a few miles).

So it's RW 15 on Sunday then Silverstone week after.

Are you there at FLM 1/2.

If so we should meetup have you organised a gathering.

Woof woof
  • I will be as Silverstone, I think Legless is orgaising the URWFRC gathering point, I will be travelling with him to the race.

We will the sporting our urwfrc tops, so very very obvious.
  • SB

will see ya there.

woof woof
  • Hi everyone just been readthe messages I too am doing this one on sunday done one last summer and a full marathon last september but since then finding it hard to stay focused on the long runs any advice.
    Gemma I don't think you will be last I may well be with you did last half in 2hrs 45m which I would like to improve if I can. Good luck see you all there
  • Just to let you all know that I came in at 1 hour 56 but I am still waiting for my official time. Very pleased with myself!
  • Well done Gemma, knew that you would get round ok