Tetracyclines and tendon pain / damage

Is there anyone out there who has been taking Tetracyclines and experienced tendon injury or tendon injury that is resistant to recovery?!

This is a bit of a long shot, but I have been out of action for 6 months with tendonitis in both knees. You name it and I have tried it to get running again, but to date nothing has worked :0( I have been taking Oxytetracycline for my skin and was prescribed it 6 weeks before injury.

I know that certain Antibiotics are known to possibly cause tendon difficulties (fluoroquinolones),but wondered if any runners out there had experienced similar problems with other Antibiotics?! I have been searching the net and there are a couple of cases reported in the US, but nothing significant. This may be a case of clutching at straws but this is desperate measures and I have stopped the Oxytetracycline just in case. Really appreciate any thoughts X

Comments

• Hi. I've just stumbled across your post whilst researching the link between antibiotics and tendon issues. I know it's a year on but hope you'll see this!<br id="null"><br id="null">I've been taking Lymecycline which is a Tetracycline for over 10 years for a skin issue. In that time I've suffered with Achilles tendon issues but have never connected the two. My running has been stop start in all that time. I've done all the correct things in terms of rehab but the issue just won't go away. Was considering giving up my running!<br id="null"><br id="null">A couple of weeks ago I decided I'd stop taking the pills to see if I really needed them any more. I've done this a few times over the years. Anyway, a couple of weeks in and the soreness in my Achilles has gone and i can pinch it with my finger pain free for the first time i can remember in a long time!<br id="null"><br id="null">so I then started researching the link between antibiotics and tendons issues and found a whole load of stuff. Tetracyclines don't seem to feature as the one that causes the issue but seems to be too much of a coincidence. Early days though,the true test will be when I resume running. Updates to follow....<br id="null">
  • There is a fair bit of good research that pulls together the use of long term & dosage AB's with tendon issues. This is not the same as saying tendons do not get better if you're taking AB's. Quite often tendons don't better with other input (physio/massage/rehab etc) but it all depends on what that input is and the quality of it.

Russ sounds very different to Carrieon's case....