Travel to London Marathon

I shall be arriving at Waterloo Station and walking to Waterloo East to catch the train to Blackheath.  Planning to get there about 8.15am.  I am worried that, since the trains start from Charing Cross, they will be packed full by the time they get to Waterloo East.  Should I plan to arrive earlier?

Hopefully some VLM runners from previous years will be able to give me some advice!

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I've got on at Waterloo east 4 times and had no issues. There are loads of trains so if one is full the next one should be empty.
  • It's busy but if you're worried get there earlier and it be quieter. 

• Thanks Millsy and Rick.  Was planning on getting to Waterloo East at about 8.15am. Does that sound early enough?   

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I always like to be at the station at 7.45. But I also like to be early for everything. No harm in getting to the start too early as there is plenty of time to soak up the atmosphere and sort out your kit.
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Go with Millsy's 7.45, better to hang about soaking up atmos than panicking a bit on train, and its quite a long walk from Blackheath to start.
  • Yes, you're right.  I will just have to get up earlier - probably won't be able to sleep anyway!  Thank you for your thoughts.

• Just a little extra information for all you folks coming to London on Marathon weekend. On Saturday 23/04/2016, there is a St,George's Day parade planned in London, this usually finishes with a party in Trafalger Square. Also, there could be upwards of 100,000 Football fans arriving in London from Manchester and Everton, for the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley. Then on 24/04/2016, up to 100,000 Football fans will be travelling through London from Watford and the South of England ( probably Victoria/ Charing Cross) on their way to Wembley for the second semi-final , just give yourselves more time, all the best

• Go CazGo Caz ✭✭✭

Is there still a tube strike planned?

• Check the TFL website but I think all tube strikes have been called off as they have agreed to work night's
  • One20FourOne20Four ✭✭✭

Am from "up north" and don't get down to London much. Am staying at Blackfriars for 4 days and was wondering from there what will be my best route to the start and also wondering what is the best travel option to purchase. Would it be an oyster card or I hear you can upload travel onto a debit card. Is that any good and what areas would I need for general travel round the sites before and after, expo etc. Any advice?

• If you have a debit or credit card that supports cashless payments you can use that 

• I think you need to register on the oyster site first so you can keep track? I've never paid on the day from Charing Cross- it's free for runners. It'd be chaos otherwise
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

You don't need to register on the oyster site to use your contactless card. You can if you want, which lets you see your journey history, but this doesn't update in real time (usually takes a couple of days) so doesn't really help you 'keep track' as it were. It's the same price as using an oyster card, except you don;t have to buy the card.

• Sorry yes that's what I meant.
  • Does anyone know if it's possible to walk from Blackheath station to the Green start?  They recommend getting a train to Maze Hill, but, from my hotel in Victoria, it would be much easier to get to Blackheath.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Hmm - I was going to type that the green start can be accessed from Blackheath but the problem is that you would need to cross the main marathon route. 

If you head to the right of the main blue start on the Heath (so right of the blimp) and get there early enough, you should be ok to cross the road near the big balloon arch that marks the blue start and cross over the A2. but don't leave it too late.

Other option would be mainline from Victoria to lewisham (the stop before Blackheath) and then DLR to Cutty Sark. Would be an easy walk from there.

• Thank you for that. I think the train to Lewisham and DLR might be the safer option.
  • Hi fellow runners - I have had to pull out of the London Marathon this year due to injury.  However, I have two return train tickets from Manchester to Euston - leaving Saturday morning and returning late Sunday afternoon (£100 all in).  Please email bossnas@hotmail.com if interested.  I have a hotel booked as well but can get my money back on that - I will not cancel until the last minute in case someone wants accommodation as well (Kensington - £125 for double room).

• Genkyboy, Go to Lewisham station, left out the front, left under railway bridge, then right up Lewisham Hill, right into Elliot Hill, straight on to Blackheath Common, ( you cannot miss the Blue start ahead, walk to the ballon) on to Shooters Hill Road ( Main Road) turn left on to Maze Hill and Green start on right ( Vanburgh Park) about 25 mins walk, anymore help needed just post

• Afternoon all,

Hope you're well.

In a bit of a pickle about travel arrangements, if somebody could help me I'd very grateful.

I'm in the BLUE start area, Blackheath.

Stopping at the Wife's Grandad's in South Croydon.

In your opinion what would be the best route for me?

Thank you!

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

South Croydon to London Bridge.

then either London Bridge to Lewisham and walk (15 - 20min walk uphill - or a cab) OR London bridge to Lewisham and Lewisham to Blackheath - might be ok if you're early enough.

Or - you could get the train London Bridge to Charing Cross and go to Blackheath from there.

• Thanks very much, Gladrags.

I'll check the TFL Website now to make sure the London Bridge Lewisham, Lewisham Blackheath is OK.

I'd leave my parents & Wife at London Bridge and they can find somewhere for a decent spot along the route.

• H E L P - I am staying in Tulse Hill,  would it be best to try and get a taxi to Lewisham and then the train to Blackheadhg (I am on Blue Start) or ......  have looked at map and it seems really complicated - any Londoners our there who can help / advise - thank you xx

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    I would get the bus, look on tfl website.
  • Might be able to get the train from Tulse Hill to Peckham Rye and change to get to Blackheath? Should be cheaper than taxi and less stressful than buses.

• Helan, train leaves Tulse Hill station at 07.32 24/04 to Peckham Rye, change there for Blackheath, arrives just after 08.00, all the best
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

thanks for the tip on the FA cup on the sunday/marathon day although the kick off isnt til 4pm.

• Hi, I'm a London first timer, starting at Red. Do those who have done this before think I be OK to walk up to the Red Start from the Blackheath station side? I'm staying with friends in Lee Green the night before. The VMLM mag says that Red starters should approach from Greenwich or Maze Hill, but I'm assuming that advice is aimed at people arriving by train.
  • Hi Ben - yes, easy peasy walking from Blackheath to Red Start. In fact, you don't have to endure walking up the hill that way. It might be difficult to get to the Red Start through the main park so go round either side and enter that way. 

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Ben Nevis wrote (see)
    Hi, I'm a London first timer, starting at Red. Do those who have done this before think I be OK to walk up to the Red Start from the Blackheath station side? I'm staying with friends in Lee Green the night before. The VMLM mag says that Red starters should approach from Greenwich or Maze Hill, but I'm assuming that advice is aimed at people arriving by train.

You'll be fine. Follow the crowds heading in the general direction of the heath from the village, and you'll be able to enter Greenwich Park at the top.