Who's done the Potters Arf?

So the rellies in Stoke are tempting me up to do the Potters Arf Marathon, on June 12 this year.

It's not in the RW database. Anyone know how far in advance it sells out? I'm assuming it's a good event? Any local intelligence I could do with knowing?

Ta in advance image

Comments

• Very lumpy apparently - challenging!!!

Not done it myself - I have a work colleague who's from near Stoke and he normally runs it, but he's on the razz in Barcelona on a stag week... (in prep for the Wilmslow Half in 10 days time... image ) I can ask him for details on Tuesday when he's back in work.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Oooh yes please LN. I'm not scared of the hills, plenty of them back in God's own land the other side of the Tamar, it's more the selling out in advance and general organisation that I'm interested in.

• I think entries were open until late on last year - I'll check it out later if you like?  Brilliant event and atmosphere all the way, lots of support and treats on offer along the way too image 

Just beware of 'Heartbreak Hill' at mile 11, it could make you cry if your not ready for it!! 

• I think its open until quite late. http://www.potters-arf.co.uk/raceday.php

I haven't done it either but my step-dad has. He enjoyed it, although it is very hilly. He said they have different colour medals depending on your finish time, which I think is a good enough reason to do it in itself.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Thanks guys. I do like the sound of that medal ... I like medals ... image

I might have to do this one.

• did it for 1st time last year great crowd support free parking not too difficult a course not likely to sell out either have a look a brian dales race photos of the event

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i run for Stoke and have run the arf a few times.   It's easily the best supported half I have run.  Seems like there are people lining the majority of the route.

it is hilly, a big one about 5m in plus the "famous" heartbreak hill at 11m.  

the medals (ribbons) are time grouped and different.  Sub 90, sub 1.45, sub 2 I think.

it does sell out but about a month before you should be ok.  

i can recommend this 'arf image

• Hi Muttley - work colleague duly interrogated...

Much like folks above, he mentioned gold, silver, bronze and finishers medals according to time, and also "Heartbreak Hill" - he said it's ALL either up or down, there are no flat bits.

He also said the weather plays a big part in how hard the race can feel... his times range from 1:40 to 2:10 for the course, with the only difference being how hot it was on the day. To set that in context he just ran a half in London the other weekend in 1:29... make of that what you will!

He recommends the race and said that one year one of his mates entered on the day - dunno if you'd want to risk that though! By all accounts, because it's not a pb course, it doesn't sell out particularly quickly and you should have a bit of time to make your mind up image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Super, LN, thank you indeed. I'm pretty much sold on it tbh. Just need to book leave since I work weekends.

Of course, being from Cornwall and having done the Falmouth half a couple of times, I laugh in the face of hills image