Marathon training and adrenal fatigue

Does anyone have any experience of Adrenal Fatigue?

I have my first marathon in May, and have been struggling with it.  Ran my first half in Feb and it was hard going towards the end, after that I went on a longer training run and just couldn’t do it, ended up walking most of it.  Its really discouraged me and coupled with a painful ankle I just haven’t been out for a run for a week or  two now.

I know that really I haven’t done enough training for the marathon but have still been hopeful that I could get round – just want to have done a marathon to tick it off my bucket list.

I went to see a physio about my painful ankle, he said I have a tilted pelvis which is impacting and causing problems including the ankle pain.  He has also said that I have Adrenal Fatigue, and that if it was him he wouldn’t be considering still running the marathon.

So now I have to decide whether to give up the idea of the marathon in May.  In a way I would be relieved to not have to be worrying about it any more, but also would feel like a failure and that I could still do it and get round.  I do have a fair bit of stress in my personal life at the moment and the worry of the marathon is adding to this.

I would love some advice please, and anyone with experience of adrenal fatigue?

Help! 

Comments

• Never heard of it, what did your GP suggest you do to recover ? 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    What kind of test did they do to diagnose it?
  • It's made up...

"Adrenal fatigue is a term that's used by some to say that fatigue and other symptoms are caused by a poorly working adrenal gland in people who are under mental, emotional, or physical stress. But it's not a proven medical condition."
  • Your physio diagnosed that.

as its linked to different hormones...wouldnt you need a medical person and presumably some blood tests to diagnose this...

sounds to me that you are just upping the training without enough time or miles in your legs and your body isnt ready...

a few people can go from nothing to marathon in 6 months but most people need more and without proper rest in between will feel knackered and it will hurt.

even for those people who have been running for years at the end of a half you will feel knackered and it hurts

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    New one on me, sounds a bit like ME, or the same effects anyway.

Long story short, you're under-trained (very), have a condition that prevents you rectifying that before May - so............ you know the answer, defer.

Or have a (painful) walk in May. Good Luck.
  • ZouseZouse ✭✭✭

Adrenal fatigue isn't scientifically accepted as a medical condition, so I would take your 'diagnosis' from the physio with a pinch of salt & go and see the Doc to get yourself checked out properly.

You have already said that you haven't done enough training for your marathon, and you have a sore ankle - perhaps the wisest option would be to defer 'til next year, and get some proper training in way ahead of time - including those recommended by your physio - with your Doc's full support?

• Just about anyone can walk a marathon. Its a long bloody way. If a half knackered you and you've only attempted further once and that didnt end well, and your ankle is hurting, and you've had weeks off, and you're stressed, and now the adrenal gland is tired......

It's all very well hoping to get round - but good consistent training is far more useful.
  • Physio did a urine test to 'diagnose' it.  He also suggested I go to my Dr for a blood test as he also thought I may be anaemic.

Have been googling Adrenal Fatigue and from what I read I am not sure about it hence why I asked here.

Am going to ring my GP this morning and get an appt.

I think maybe you are right, I should defer.  Have been hoping I could get through it, have a 'last minute' 4 week training plan to get me through, strap up the ankle and just do it.  But am starting to think that may not be the best option.

• cougie wrote (see)
    Just about anyone can walk a marathon. Its a long bloody way. If a half knackered you and you've only attempted further once and that didnt end well, and your ankle is hurting, and you've had weeks off, and you're stressed, and now the adrenal gland is tired......

It's all very well hoping to get round - but good consistent training is far more useful.

Now you've put it like that it seems very clear!

I think the sensible option is to defer, although there is still that part of me that wants to do it.

I had found this and was planning to do this:
    http://www.menshealth.co.uk/fitness/cardio-exercise/emergency-marathon-training-plan

• Sounds like you've bitten off more than, well, you know. Defer, rest up and build up properly for a well prepared attempt next year. I think the adrenal fatigue may just be a red herring and you have pushed yourself too far too soon.

• You appear to be a victim of woowoo, might as well be offered homoeopathy and acupuncture.

Rather than "adrenal fatigue", you're probably just not in good enough shape, don't yet have the fitness base for the levels of activity that you're attempting. If you push your luck, not only will you have a lousy time, you'll be risking injury.

I would defer for a year. I would also find another physio, if you're worried about the root cause of the ankle issue. However, more sensible gradual training, with plenty of time for adaptation and building your fitness base may work wonders. You should probably look at that first before throwing money at the problem. 

First, however, take some time out, let things recover, maybe go and see your GP. Running a marathon isn't really best approached by hurling yourself at it to "tick off" an item- that will just hurt, and maybe injure you.

By deferring, you have plenty of time to get fit enough that you stand a chance of getting around properly and enjoying the experience. It will still be hard, mind, but you may well avoid wrecking yourself physically and psychologically this way.

(..and when, not if, you finish it, you will probably swear "never again" for at least a week, before you start sizing up other nice-looking marathons image)

• Thanks everyone, I think I probably knew I should defer but didnt want to admit it!

Will go see Dr, recover and then see where I am.

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Oi Kat, don't diss acupuncture in with homeopathy, (ex TCM Acupuncturist here), sticking needles in people may not do much, but it does work in some cases, honest.;)

Homeopathy; might as well have a cuppa, do you far more good than any of their barking mad remedies!
  • i got acupuncture form a physio for free on the NHS so NICE has approved it in certain cases  image

• senid,

We shall have to cheerfully agree to disagree, the Cochranes have been inconclusive, to say the least- the effects (if any) are slight, and it's hard if not impossible to properly blind any trial.  

That said, I'm a huge fan of a good placebo, as long as it works for you. That cup of tea, for instance, fixes nearly anything image

(Don't get me started on what happened when we were offered subsidised homeopathy for children as a "medical" intervention, as a corporate perk, though. The more scientifically-inclined of my colleagues got that yanked pretty quickly... )

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    All good Kat, acupuncture may well be a placebo, but its a great one, had lots of successful outcomes when I was treating patients and I was never bothered whether it was my treatment or the placebo effect, just happy their condition improved. image
  • senid,

I think we aren't exactly at daggers drawn on that point.. (plus you reminded me to make some tea, even more importantly).

• Also, just for the record, NICE seem to have stopped suggesting the use of acupuncture for lower back pain:

Professor Mark Baker, clinical practice director for Nice, said: “Regrettably, there is a lack of convincing evidence of effectiveness for some widely used treatments. For example, acupuncture is no longer recommended for managing low back pain with or without sciatica. This is because there is not enough evidence to show that it is more effective than sham treatment.”

(source)

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Don't get me started on evidence based conclusions, there is no such thing as a double blind test for acupuncture treatment, certainly not the way I used it, deep needling, lots of manipulation and then attaching a TENS machine, had their little legs convulsing like jelly on a plate! Try and do a sham test using that procedure!!!!

So, like everything else we can agree to differ, just so long as we all agree homeopathy IS barking, as is faith healing, aromatherapy, reflexology and any other new age hippy dippy stuff.

On the other hand, I doubt if I'd ever go near an Acupuncturist if I needed treatment, image
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Adrenal 'fatigue' would not stop a properly trained individual from running a marathon - and I know this because my adrenal glands have actually packed up (known as Addisons disease) - and am now on marathon number 10.

And it wasn't diagnosed by a physio using a urine test!!

• Athletic staleness - I practice functional medicine and treat adrenal fatigue and burn-out in many athletes (pro and am) and civilians - its a real diagnosis based on blood chemistry and hormonal panels. Most medical doctors won't know about it as its a subject that is not taught to them in medical schools except the extremes of adrenal failure i.e.. Addisons disease and Cushings. If they aren't taught it - MD's won't believe it ......they are trained to only believe their curriculum. There are a many MD's and Osteopaths. Naturopathis and Chiropractors practicing functional medicine now - its a growing movement (check the Institute of Functional Medicine website) Adrenal fatigue comes before adrenal burn-out and that is followed by the pathological states of adrenal failure (Addisons and Cushings) in between there exists a terrain of progressive adrenal decline and of course performance decline- and people burn-out because of prolonged emotional stress, chronic unsolved gut issues and detox problems. Dr Dan Kalish teaches this method to physicians and I was trained at the IFM and Kalish Institute. If you improve your guts emotions and support your adrenals well then your performance will improve -Heres a good study for you to peruse - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23667795