Manx Marathon

Could anyone give me advice on the MMM ie what gear to carry, what level of running I should be at etc. Its my first 'longy'. All advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Robert, You'll need full body cover plus emergency food and map and compass. Have you done plenty of fell races? It's a tough one, but very good. The last climb out of Fleswick Bay is horrenedous. I had a bit of back up on the way which helped a lot, 'cos it is an awful long way. I hope you're as lucky as I was with the weather last year, perfect conditions. I wouldn't have liked to do it in the mist. It's a great race though, enjoy.
  • Thanks Loz,
    I wouldn't profess to have done alot of fell running, Leicestershire doesnt naturally lend itself to such an activity, I did my 1st off road marathon yesterday which I got on OK with.
    Is the route kinda marked or are you reliant on your compass skills to get from place to place? as i may need a lesson or two from me fadda.
    Thanks again

• You didn't do the Belvoir did you? I did it as a training run for the 3 peaks, some training run, how many ploughed fields? I was useless. You do need to know how to map read for the Manx. There won't be many in it so you get well spread out and you might not see anyone for miles. The route isn't marked,but the paths are kind of obvious. Don't worry about the hills, I'm from north east Lincs, we don't have hills.
  • oooohhh thats kinda spooky,it was the Belvoir, and your're not wrong about them there fields i became quite adept at flinging mud from my walshes, and I even managed to consult my map a few times, thats when i wasn't chomping on the flapjack. Thanks once again for the advice.