5k times for slow beginner

2»

Comments

• OK, did the 5K. Stand by to laugh. Actually 2.85 miles. Stayed with my mate all the way round. Finished in 30.31 in 34th out of 35 places. Got well and truly spanked by the 77 year old 2 minutes ahead of me and we beat the octogenarian (82) by about 200 yards. Lucky he didn't have a sprint finish!

HRM average 166, steady 176 towards the end, not remotely breathless at the end but hips a bit sore. Thoroughly enjoyed it, well organised, no pressure, no giggling, exactly what I wanted on my first race.

And as I cant put in much less of a performance, it can only get better.

So there you have it, a beginners first race, the target for which was to get round without stopping.

If you are interested, go to google, type in woking 5k and go to the site. its something like www.villamiller.demon.co.uk or similar. Every 1st Wed in month at 12.30 pm. no cost or charge, loos parking. A very inconspicuous way to start if you are a bit shy like me!!

• Dustboy, thats a really good time. can totally relate to the 'carp at school' bit too.

i can only agree with what M said. running is so individual, what is fast for one person is slow for another. As long as you enjoy yourself, surely that is all that matters. Unless you are super fast, most people are only ever racing against themselves; their last 5K or 10K time. Just enjoy yourself, knowing you are getting/keeping fit.
  • Wahay DustBoy,

Excellent to get your first time, and good one at that. I bet there's loads of peeps on here that would've liked to run a 5k in 30 mins on here for their first race. I certainly couldn't do that when I first started out, so its only gonna get better for yer.

Nice one!
  • Hallo everyone.I'm new to this. I ran my first Race for Life in Leeds last summer and did it in 42 mins. Since then my fastest 5K is 26 mins but my legs just don,t seem to go any faster than that!
  • nice one dustboy :-)

more than anything else i'm glad you enjoyed it. and now you've got a time to beat.
  • Good for a laugh?

My first 5k was 42:38 !
    The next time I did 38:08 !
    Then I did 40:37
    and the last one was 42:35 maybe I should make that the last ?

BTW I was last in all those. Surprise ! !
  • Walkman, as long as u enjoy yourself then thats what matters. and someone has to come last.. :)
  • Walkman, I ran my first 10k in December and clocked 1hr 2mins. So proud of myself, I entered a very hard 6 mile fell race on New Years Eve- wrong shoes, ice everywhere and no idea how hard it was going to be. I came so last, that I helped the marshal carry one of the posts back!My time? 1 hr and 35 mins. I will do another 10 K but will choose one a bit flatter next time.
  • Sounds like that fell run was a nightmare.
  • Well done Dustboy very proud of you. Just keep going and try and improve on the time slowly that way you wont be pushing yourself too hard before you are ready

xx
  • I'm here to make you feel better. I've just read the whole thread and i am officially the slowest! Just finished my first 5K at 49 minutes. So that must be some kind of record. I guess the extra 5 stone i'm carrying around probably had something to do with it! I don't mind, 9 weeks ago i couldn't run more than a minute and today i ran for 49 mins straight. image
  • Hi
    Everyone, I have just started running (3weeks) and started doing 5K, I managed my run tonight in 28 mins 38secs is that ok ????

I ran all the way, still want to get under 28 mins

Daz
  • Someone early on said to ask yourself how long you would take to walk 5k and anything faster is good. I come from challenge walking background and have just started running for the first time last week (end of it). My walking speed is 4mph over mixed off-road terrain (hills and stiles and gates) for about the first 16 miles. That equates to a 46.5minute 5k. I did my first and only run last thursday and did 5.34km in about 30 minutes.  That was about half and half run/walk on the outward leg then I somehow managed to run most of the way back along the same route. Don't know how suspect I hadn't warmed up until just before the turnaround. I was nauseous at the end and wanted to give up and walk.

I don't know if that is good but suspect it is not bad but I am from an endurance discipline allbeit walking, fast that is. I would have thought I could run for further but suspect I was running too fast and I have to let my body get used to the new motion and to develop the muscles better.

I do think that the nmore you do something the greater the chance your body learns how to work better and more efficiently for that activity. You might be really fit but as a new runne I believe you are not funning fit. Does that make sense? I know martial artists talk of muscle memory, the way you repeat things until it becomes second nature and your body kind of knows what is coming so performs better. I'm quite chuffed that I have done over 5k in 30 minutes. I will have to time it better as I left my watch off and the 30 minutes was a best estimate on time. Tonight I will time it properly.

BTW anyone know about 10k times? I mean it is twice the distance and I am guessing that the 10k times would be a lot more than twice the 5k times. What would your extra be? What I mean is it 2.5 times the 5k time or more or less?

• Emm, if you ask for help in the training section you might be lucky and get advice from somebody like Moraghan.

LL - There's a race predictor in the calculators section of this site. If you put in your 5k time it will predict what you should be capable of 10k wise.

Kirsty - Well done! I remember my first effort at running and 1 min would have been an achievement! 49 mins is great.

• ive just started running. 5k down to 26mins, 10k is around 55mins. running to improve my fitness. i got into it cos im the slowest in the running circuit class at the gym - read sprint circuit training. Very tough class.

my goal is to get some improvement in my times!! aiming for 20mins 5k is my first target. which feels impossible right now...

but you got to have a go right? image

im a couple of stone overweight but working on it as part of my midlife crisis image

first tip? extend the strides.