Options

London Marathon- Injured with 12 days to go

I'm due to run the London Marathon in 12 days, but I currently have a strain in my quad which is causing a lot of discomfort when I try to run. My longest run is 18 miles 4 weeks before the event, and due to the injury which began about 2 weeks ago, my average miles per week were roughly 28. In the last 3 weeks I've only been able to get in 2 runs per week because of the pain, and I had a gap of 10 days. I'm worried I haven't had enough training... Do you think I should still run?

Comments

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

not enough info in that for anyone on here to make that call for you.

One key fact at this stage is that everyone will be feeling various niggles as a result of all of their training. it sounds like you have trained well and this taper period should give niggles a chance to recover.

That said, I would get to a physio or sports massage therapist ASAP - they'll be able to assess the problem and give guidance as to what you do next.

• Options

Hi Laurengee,

I too am suffering badly with pain in my left quad which is resulting in awful knee pain (I had the same a while back in my right and it is caused by the knee being pulled out of place).  

You sound as though you have trained well enough, my longest run is 18 although I am a walk/runner as new to this lark.

I am also running VLM and my coach has told me to rest the leg, not to run on it but to keep fitness up by other means swimming etc. I am also getting a sports massage on Monday.

Good luck to you.

• Options

Thank you for your responses! That makes me feel slightly better... I will consider resting and swimming/cycling rather than trying to run!

I have already been to a physio, who says there isn't much more he can do. I guess it's all down to me now! I'll ice and stretch and foam roll and elevate the leg as much as possible and hope for the best!

Good luck to you too!

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

am a bit image at the physio's feedback? Does he mean he can't do any more because it#s not that major and you just need to do the exercises and stretches he's given you? or does he mean it's so bad that he can't help?

If it's the latter then clearly you cannot run.

If the former then you're fine? Just follow his advice and you're away. TBH even if you did no training at all between now and the day, it would make minimal difference to your fitness. If you do cross train then don't overdo it.

• Options

Sorry I'm not being very clear, it's because he says it's not serious and I need to continue to stretch etc. I'm just concerned as it's been 2/3 weeks and it hasn't really improved, was still to painful to run on last nifght and I was worried whether the interruption in training for the last 2/3 weeks would make in impact as I didn't get to do my long 20 mile run.

I probably will give up running until the big day and do some gentle cross training. Thank you for your help!

• Options

Sounds like a typical day in my house!  I smother it with a gel for pain relief/swelling before going to work, then when I get home i freeze spray it, then hot bath and stretch, roll and rest!

I am not sure that any of these things are helping but it makes me feel better to know I am trying something!

• Options

I am injured and planning on walk/jogging on Sunday's VLM! I had planned to get a 4hr30 time, but having screwed my knee up 7 weeks ago on my longest run (The Brighton Half Marathon) I haven't been able to run since. I'm now super nervous my knee won't hold out for even one mile let alone 26! But, I'm going to try and soak up the atmosphere of the day.

Just don't OVER foam roll! You'll be achey if you do too much. Gentle swimming, even walking/lunging/squatting in the pool (you may look like a fool like I did this morning, but it will help!)

Good luck! You'll do great. Stay positive xx

• Options

@itssops yes hopefully the atmosphere will carry us through! I have been swimming so will probably carry on with that this week and not risk running. Thanks for the tip on foam rolling! I've been tending to spend a minute on each muscle once a day.

Thanks for the kind words, it's a real boost at an anxious time! I'm sure you'll do great too... this time next week, we'll be able to say we did it! x

• Options

I really hope so @Laurengee! Last thing I want is to pull out after 6 miles or something in agony! Eeeek. I think more people than we think are in a similar boat to us, but all I read on social media is all the pros, which makes me think negatively!

Just remember, only 1% of the population have completed a marathon, so keep pushing!!!!

xx

• Options
    Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭

ice, roller and rest

I had a calf niggle a few days before brighton last week.  Even on the day I was worried about it telling my self if it flaired up I'd stop after 10k, but by 10k it wasn't too bad and then by 20k everything else had started hurting as much as it so hang in there and rest

hot baths too

• Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

The gap in training won't have had much effect if you've been training. Regardless of the plan, you wouldn't really have been running this week anyway. RICE and take it easy - you can decide up to the night before whether to defer or not. If you don't have an option to defer, and your physio doesn't think you'll cause any loner-term damage, then suck it up, have a few paracetomol and give it a go? Obviously however, it's up to you......

• Options

Tried running yesterday, got 1 mile in and knee went image I have sports massage tonight and my coach is trying to get me into physio in next couple of days.  

I am sure mine is the muscle in quad area and not actual damage to knee... Hoping, because the muscle can me massaged back to life but knees can be much trickier.

Hopefully with massage, tape, and pain killers I can walk!  Was only going to jog/walk anyhow was hoping for 5.30/6 but if I have to walk it all hopefully under 7 if anyone wants to hobble with me i'm in Blue start.

• Options

I am definitely going to be running! It has improved since I posted this, not 100% there but better for sure. I originally wanted 4:30 but realistically I'm now probably looking at 5/5:30 image

Elle T, mine is the same- originally the strain was in my quad but it's had an adverse effect on my knee! I think I will most likely wear a knee brace/support on the day and just dose up! Deep down part of me is still hoping I can make it under 5...

Good luck all!

• Options

And to you Laurengee! We can all do it! Off to buy some KT Tape at lunch and spend my evening you tubing and practising! x

• Options

Also another thing I was recommended and have been taking- magnesium with turmeric tablets. Definitely worth a go! Although £27 a tub isn't ideal...