Light weight running shoe

Glitch74Glitch74 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've been running using Ghost & Adrenaline (I don't pronate, was miss-sold).  I've been using the Adrenaline for long runs & the Ghost most the other time. 

I like the Ghost but not so keen on the Adrenaline.

I've read articles where people talk about light weight shoes for faster running where you can feel your feet better & helps technique.  I was thinking of getting a pair of light weight shoes for the track & fast road work. 

Anyone got any recommendations for something for someone who likes Brooks Ghost or any recommendations at all?  I haven't got a clue really.

Thanks

Comments

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Just go to a shop with a treadmill and try on a whole load of lighter shoes till you find one that fits and that you like the feel of. When I first bought some lightweight shoes, a nice bloke in my local running shop brought me a huge selection of neutral shoes in my size which should theoretically have been pretty similar, and there were some I loved and some I absolutely hated. He let me run in every single pair for a good few minutes; the whole thing took ages but was worth it.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

I agree with Lit, go to a running shop and ask to try on all the lightweight shoes they have. Run on the treadmill and get a good feel for them because they will differ greatly in comfort depending on their shape compared to your feet. It will take a while but will be well worth it when you get the right pair for you. It's a personal thing so no point in naming specific shoes which might be suitable but might just as easily be not.

• Glitch74Glitch74 ✭✭✭

OK cheers for the advice.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Agree with the above. There's some sense in considering a lighter neutral shoe from the same manufacturer, as they might have a similar fit, e.g. the Brooks T7 Racer.  On the other hand, it's such a different shoe from Ghost or Adrenaline that there's no guarantee you'll like the way it feels.  Very much a case of individual preference how you want the shoe to feel, and the distances you'll be covering in them.  Some people like a minimal, firm shoe for good ground feedback, others prefer something with more cushioning but still light, for a more bouncy feel.  Try a few on.

• literatin wrote (see)

Just go to a shop with a treadmill and try on a whole load of lighter shoes till you find one that fits and that you like the feel of. When I first bought some lightweight shoes, a nice bloke in my local running shop brought me a huge selection of neutral shoes in my size which should theoretically have been pretty similar, and there were some I loved and some I absolutely hated. He let me run in every single pair for a good few minutes; the whole thing took ages but was worth it.

pretty much

• I would recommend lunaracer +3 for a racing flat. There comfortable, every light at 175g or around that. There not quite minimilist to there's a little support so your calfs won't feel like they've been battered after a run an there fast! They are designed for racing generally. If it's a daily trainer your after I highly recommend the Nike lunarglide 6. Not used the 7s yet so can't comment. Light, very cushioned an last a fair few miles. I'm on my 4 pair an it's the best I've had on a personal level. I've had, asics, adidas, mizuno an brooks but these are by far my favourite. For advice on shoes try www.runrepeat.com they have thousands of reviews on all the top to terrible shoes from lots of different testers. Worth a look.
  • Glitch74Glitch74 ✭✭✭

i'm looking to use the shoe once a or twice a week i rekon.  once for intervals on the track and then maybe at the weekend if i have a race or parkrun.  does this mean i should be after a trainer or a racer? cheers

• I ended up retiring my Lunarglide 7s from running, relegating them to ugly casual shoes. There's something subtly off with the transition, it feels "grudging" (almost as if there's a corner or resistance.. they feel square, if that makes sense). They're noticeably slower than all my other road shoes- whether the giant Hokas or the 2-3mm drop Newtons.

They're as comfy as all hell to walk around in, but they don't run as well as the Lunarglide 6 did. While they are fairly light, nicely-made and don't cause discomfort, it just feels like everything else that I own is a better option.

I'm also not a fan of that runrepeat site, it's somewhat garbled, and tends to lump reviews of similarly-named models together, so you end up with linkspam soup about related but not identical models. It frequently mixes up the different revisions of shoes from different years when you search- it can be misleading and less useful/slower than google. If you've a head for detail and an attention span, you can often do better elsewhere.

• You've just put me off getting the 7s now ???? I agree some times the reviews can mislead as there's some older versions that say it's the new model when it's clearly not but generally you can see the model in the picture. The good thing though is that it's a variety of reviews Tom different sites rather than one reviewer who can have a one sided opinion.

Me personally I have trainers, to race, trainers for interval work an trainers to train. Racing shoes generally don't have the life span of a daily trainer so that's why I use different shoes for different purposes. My shoes tend to go on the toe box first as I run on the forefoot so toe off wears fast so it depends on your running stance I guess but track running shouldn't wear them like the road so you maybe good with just one pair.. (But where's the fun in just one pair ????)
  • "Tom different sites" is very little help when they're not talking about the same shoe.

• Running shoes available online are different from other shoes. It has special design, shape etc. Thank you for sharing such a great information here! Visit:www.skuzeshoes.com/
  • I have recently purchased a pair of Salming Race 5's which are amazing for track and short distance work. I am saving them as a race shoe and I am pretty sure that on a decent road surface I would be comfortable in them up to Half Marathon distance. I am tempted to test out Salming's claim on good for up to Marathon distance at the London Marathon next Sunday.  They weight approx. 185g and have carbon fibre in the mid sole which offers a bit of strength and support. They have an almost barefoot feel to them and a Chameleon Skin design which is reflective and adapts to the light conditions that you are in. They are very comfortable for the shorter runs that I have used them for so far and speedy too!

If you like Brooks Ghost, then a shoe that would offer you a more adaptive, lightweight design and allow you to train in them and use for some speedier runs, with a fair bit of cushioning is the Brooks Launch range (currently on Launch 4's). 

The current darling's of lightweight shoes with a little cushioning are On's. I have a pair of the Cloudflow's and while I like them, I do think that they are the worst shoes that I have bought recently. Lack of grip in wet conditions and I don't feel good in them at a distance over 10 miles.  Use them for shorter distance training runs and bumming around in. Think that the ON range (as with the HOKA's which I find plain weird) has been over hyped!

New Balance Vazee range is worth you checking out too. I have a pair of Vazee 2090's.  Saucony Ride 9's and Adidas Adizero Adios 3 shoes are worth trying if you are looking for a lighter weight version of your Ghost's.