VLM 2017 !!

Comments

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Decided to have a day off yesterday and didn't run. Must punish myself tomorrow with a hard interval session according to my plan !

TopSec and Ray4 - welcome back, take it slow.

Elliott - British 10k is ridiculously expensive (£50 for a 10k, when the marathon is only £40 !). Loads of cheaper local 10k events to aim for (just my 'pinion image)

DB7X - eat biscuits and run - that's the best combo - the more you run the more biscuits you can eat without feeling guilty, or am I going wrong somewhere ?image

Hi RedHaired Girl, Mr Potato Head and Cormorant - fingers crossed for the ballot. Any plans in the meantime - October is along way off ?!

• I have NOT entered the ballot but am sitting on my hands which are handcuffed away from the mouse...

I am also reciting ' I must stay married...I must stay married' in order to stop my hands straying to the mouse to enter the marathon again..

I have however gone running again and achieved my first EVER 10 minute mile! It's clearly a sign that the 10k is a better bet image.  

The British 10k is absurdly expensive I thought! I have entered Richmond park at the end of May and the Fulham 10k in July.  I'm also looking for a 10k for Race for life perhaps... 

Oh, and in other news I've almost made 6.5K for Macmillan; well chuffed with that!

Hope all of you are okay. 

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Blithe, your other half has been through two lots of cancer and a marathon with you. What's another marathon ?! You know you want toimage

??6.5k is absolutely amazing - well done you !!!
  • Blithe, if you give me your full details I will enter you for the marathon, you will still be able to claim that it was not you who applied. lol

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Blithe, why don't you let fate decide? Enter the ballot, unfortunately the chances aren't good but if you do get in, then clearly it was meant to be?

• Blithe that is fantastic fundraising well done. I've entered the ballot again, just for the heck of it.

Also Blithe just to channel my inner Mrs Doyle 'G'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,g'wan, g'wan,'

• TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

That's a fabulous amount Blithe!!

I agree with rodeo flip, enter anyway image

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

I've entered again...because you never know lol. I think I will look to do another marathon next spring, but not the end of the world if it's not London.

Sick Note2 wrote (see)
    We have a saying in our club "shut up legs" so when they hurt we tell them to just shut up

Heh that sounds a lot like my experience of the last 3 miles of London! Made a deal with my legs that if they shut up for 3 more miles then we could get there quicker and rest sooner. Seemed to work...

Blithe great work on the fundraising, well done. Congrats on the 10 minute mile too!

I am thinking about entering a 10K on the 15th at Stockley Park - it's £17 so a lot less than £50!

• KieranG wrote (see)

Hi RedHaired Girl, Mr Potato Head and Cormorant - fingers crossed for the ballot. Any plans in the meantime - October is along way off ?!

trigger2 wrote (see)
    Join the queue Mr PotatoHead - I've been rejected every year since 2012 - have you ever been lucky in the ballot?

Never been successful in the ballot, my wife has entered 3 or 4 times too (she hasn't done it yet this year) 

Regarding the upcoming events, I recently completed Manchester Marathon(my first) so am just about over that! I have a few 10ks coming up and am considering entering Dublin in October.....

• Hi all.  Can I join you please?  I've lurked for a couple of weeks (found you on the other thread just a day or two before VLM) but was a bit shy about speaking up then.  I did London a week and a half ago (deferred from 2015 so I know how you folks who have just deferred feel) and have just entered the ballot again for next year so hoping for some exceptional luck.  My main problem is winter training - I just don't cope well with getting out there in the cold and dark so my training was rubbish.  I'd like a rematch with London - I know I can do so much better - but if the ballot doesn't come off then my intention is to commit to another marathon next year.  

• TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Winter training is SO much better than summer training!!  I spend quite a lot of time in Texas (hubbys work) so run there too, I can tell you that trying to do long runs in 80 degrees is no fun at all!  I run much better here, even if it is cold.

Right, need to get off my ass, get changed and go out for a run, gave the cross country race a miss as I am too nervous of going over on my ankle whilst it is still a bit weak, so going to meet a friend and do a nice run on the footpaths on the seafront image

• Ray 4Ray 4 ✭✭

I'm also someone that prefers winter training to summer training. However, if you really dislike winter training, why not enter an autumn marathon instead of a spring marathon?

• trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Winter training for me too except when it's icy/snowing underfoot then I hop on the dreadie if I need to. Agree that summer training in heat is not enjoyable - some of my training I do in Cyprus and I'll be doing that for the Race for Life HM in September - just got to do it.

Tried out the new trainers on Tuesday and it felt such a release - going a little further on my jaunt home from work tonight image
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Hi Waterbaby, you're more than welcome to join us image

Winter training gets my vote too.

I went out yesterday on the first real warm sunny day of the year and wished I hadn't. My "speed intervals" turned into a very slow jog and I nearly passed out on the cool-down walk image

Definitely need to start the early morning runs again over the summer to avoid the hottest part of the day. Good thing is I'm only gearing up for 10ks over the summer and Autumn, so no silly long runs. I couldn't imagine doing a 20-miler in August ready for an Autumn marathon !

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

Hello everyone - I'm in for the ballot too. Third attempt for me (I missed one year as it was on the cutoff when it's full version, and that day I was ill!). I've done Paris twice, this year would have been my third there but ended up having to come home the day before due to a family emergency. It probably saved me from breaking myself though as I wasn't really trained up enough for it, so I've got a lot to improve on!

I'm already in for Paris next year so if I get a place for London too I expect it will be a bit of a slog for me!

• Thanks all.  I went out for my first run since London today - have been suffering with a chesty cough and cold since the race.  It was warm and sunny - lovely- although I do take your point about cooler weather for training.  Having given it some thought I'd say my ideal is a nice cold but sunny winter or autumn day.  I think rather than the temperature it's the grey, dull sky and rain I find difficult in winter - a little bit of SAD going on here I suspect. I'm hopeful I'll crack it next year though - ever the optimist! 

I'm pondering an autumn marathon - just need to pick one and commit really - any recommendations?  Have got my eye on Birmingham 2017 just because it's not too far away from me. Torn for this year though - might instead try working on my speed a bit (a tortoise could probably beat me on a good day!) so thinking about focusing on 5k and 10k over the next few months before heading long again.  

Paris marathon sounds lovely Nells.  I have three school-age children and a very busy husband though, so 'destination' marathons are a few years away for me yet. I have a pretty long wish list though.  So far my marathon tally is Edinburgh 2013 (stayed with relatives and it's perfectly timed for half-term) and London 2016.

• TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

I'm doing York in October Waterbaby, should be reasonably flat image

Ended up going off road last night for 5 miles, was OK but slow, felt it in my foot afterwards though, I guess the 'balancing' on the rough surface was pulling at my newly healed tendons image  Nothing too bad so onwards and upwards from here image

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

Be careful TopSec don't injure yourself again!

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Hi Nells, good to have you here, be prepared for lots of first-time questions from us virgin (small "v") marathoners  !

• NellsNells ✭✭✭
    KieranG wrote (see)

Hi Nells, good to have you here, be prepared for lots of first-time questions from us virgin (small "v") marathoners  !

Ha - thanks Kieran. Not much of an expert, but the folk over on the Paris thread on here have been such a supportive bunch that I seem to keep signing up for these things! If ever I have any useful information or advice to give, I shall happily do so!

• trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Morning all! Hope you're all enjoying the sunshine. I think it's going to be a tad too hot for those doing the Hackney Half Marathon on Sunday.

Another short run home last night. Shoes still feeling good although I think I run differently in them - had previously been running in light support but these are neutral - had a pain in the buttock but seems to have gone this morning.

Parkrun for me tomorrow and then perhaps 4 miles on Sunday. I've got the BUPA 10k on 30 May so will start upping the mileage in preparation. As I've been "resting" since my HM on 10 April don't think it will be too much of a problem.

Anyone else doing anything this weekend?
  • Missed out training run last night because of Election duties so running tonight and Halstead Marathon on Sunday.

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Struggling to run in this weather.

Another slow run this morning today, just over 4 miles in 45 minutes.

Last week I was half a minute per mile quicker than that.

I definitely do not like running in the sun image

Cutting down on carbs as well after allowing myself free-rein during marathon training. I don't think that helps energy levels until your body gets used to it.

• TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Nothing planned for me this weekend except park run tomorrow and then a run with my friend on Sun (about 7 miles usually - an awful lot of chatting goes on!!)

Nearly had another injury yesterday!?  You know when you're doing something and you think "you could have an accident - do it properly"??  Well I was having a bath and needed something out of the cabinet drawer, so instead of stepping out properly of getting it, i just put one foot out and reached for it.  All OK until I went to put my foot back in again ... I had too much of a stretch on and my foot in the bath slipped back and I fell over but fortunately managed to right myself before I went flat out but I didn't half whack my shin/knee against the edge of the bath image  Cue very painful lump and lovely bruise!!  I'm such a plonk, I knew as I was doing it that is was risky but still went ahead!

Lovely weather down here (Hants coast)

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

TopSec, I can see the bubble wrap coming out for the taper weeks next year ! 

• Hello all - I am so happy as x-ray proved no stress fracture after all. Hip bursitis and femoral strain. Still feeling it after 6 weeks of no running but it is on the mend.

Yes, possibly over training but I followed an asics plan and they have always been fine for me. This time I just used the sub 4 hour instead of the sub 4.30 plan. Maybe my body just wasn't ready for the change image

I am giving it 4 more weeks before starting back - I also have an eye on the Birmingham Marathon but its October and that means summer training - I'm with you Kieran, I do not like running in sunny weather. I read that 7000 runners had already expressed an interest in that one.

First priority though is London - not missing it again through injury so have decided to drop the mileage and amount of days I run to be safe. This time I will be using Hal Higdons 18 week training plan.

For now though, it will be a steady climb back to a standard 10k fitness, staying there for a little bit to see how the injury holds before moving up a gear.

• Hi Guys,

It's Friday and I still haven't entered the ballot so I will stay married....image

Been out for a couple of runs though of a maximum of 4 miles which I really enjoyed although I found it hard getting out there.  I was using Hal Higdon's app which was great because I could just open it and go but I'm struggling finding a 10k get faster plan on an app with post marathon recovery time so I've found Hal's recovery plan and I'm using that at the moment...

Love hearing all your stories; well done everyone for getting up there and getting running again. 

• Sick Note2Sick Note2 ✭✭✭
    Guys Can simply say I am the laziest marathon runner. I am in lanzarote with the girls and have done nothing but lay on my bum. Been heaven. Each time the girls say shall we go for a walk I say no you are ok. Ha ha.
  • DB7XDB7X ✭✭✭
    You've earnt it Sick Note!

Did my first parkrun today - great event. Time wasn't too bad considering marathon training = plodding.
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Good news Hajolli.

Get off your a*se SickNote image

DB7X - never done a ParkRun, but I am registered - Saturday mornings involve ice skating and swimming lessons for my two youngest, so always a clash and I can't be in two places at once.

30 minute threshold run this morning. Very hot out there and a bit slower than I was aiming, but happy considering the conditions (I suppose my "threshold" is just lower in the sun image).