Options

VLM 2017 !!

Comments

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

I'm promising myself a day off on Thurs and/or Friday image  Circuits this morning and then an off road run tonight, will only be about 4 miles or so, we are doing a recce for an off road race our club hosts in a few weeks so there will be lots of stopping and working out where we need marshals  I fear it will be very muddy thoughimage

Keep dry everybody

• Options
    Sick Note2Sick Note2 ✭✭✭

Sounds like you are all busy training! I am training on the eating and drinking plan image

Actually I am running a little. But starting this weekend more seriously with a 12 mile off road training run. Doing the North Downs Run in Kent (my homeland) in a few weeks. Its a gruelling off road 18 miler with some whoppa hills.

Also booked to do the Half Marathon in Palma in October.

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Evening all - hope you're all well.

Feeling good - managed a 1-hour run on Wednesday with no pain and a little 20 minutes today in readiness for the first post-injury event (10k) on Sunday.

Race report to follow.....

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

Good luck on Sunday Kieran. I did a 10k event last Sunday, it was a nice event but I went off too fast which made the run less enjoyable for me personally. Relatively pleased with the time in the end though now that I've had a few days to reflect on it.

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Had a day off yesterday which felt good image  Wed night off road run which I thought was 4 miles turned into 6.5 and boy was it wet and muddy, it was hilarious, we were over ankle deep in slippery mud in the woods with nettles and thorns, it was so bad it was hilarious!!

Pilates and Step & Tone this morning. day off tomorrow, marshalling park run in the morning.  There is a small off road 10k which I may do Sunday if I don't do my run with my friend in the morning.

The rest of the time I have been/will be sat on the settee; Im a big cricket fan so watch Test Series at the moment image

I think we're all guilt of going off too fast NickW2 at some time.

Have a good weekend everyone image

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Good day of cricket today TopSec, Jonny Bairstow leads the whole Sri Lanka team by 48 runs image

• Options
    DB7XDB7X ✭✭✭

I did something stupid today and entered the Worcester Marathon. I've only ran twice (5K & 8K) since London and figured that i'd like another crack at breaking 4hrs after 4.08 in the capital. I'd even read it was a "flat/undulating" course.

I ran the first hot & sweaty 1/2 in 1.57 but then the wheels came off. The hills were numerous and seemed to just continue to climb. I ended up walking large parts of them from mile 18ish onwards. I managed 4.13 but i'm pretty satisfied with that considering the hills - my TomTom made it just under 300m total climb which doesn't sound much, but my legs will tell you otherwise. 

I'm now wondering if that will be my last marathon, unless i get in the ballot - my injuries just won't let me train properly. Who knows? I have literally no idea how Harmander does it - he must have Alien blood!

• Options

DB7X, well done on a respectable time.

I am not that good, just steady but continually in training.

Did LSR of 17.14 miles today in 3:31:30 making YTD = 836.25 miles in 153:56:08 hours since January. Got Luxembourg Marathon next Saturday.

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

10k event complete. It was a small (200 runners) event, really friendly bunch, lovely rural course with a bit of a nasty hill at 8k, but nothing too bad. Very warm and humid and that slowed me down so I missed my 1:05 target, finishing in 1:06:26 - my fastest 10k since February 2015 and only 40 seconds slower than my pb, and the furthest I've run since the knee injury.

The best outcome though was that there was absolutely no knee pain, no sign of the injury, so a really good platform to build on.

No events now until September, so a 16-week "sub-1hr 10k" programme (and a diet!) starts this week. The plan being to run a 10k in less than an hour, also being 1.5 stone lighter....

Hope you've all had a good weekend and enjoyed some sunshine.

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Wow some good running there!

DB7X I'd love to be able to complete a marathon in 4.13 - my best ever time is 5.19 so I can only dream!

Harmander that's nuts! Good luck with Luxembourg image

I'm not a cricket fan but glad that you took some time out to rest TopSec!

Great news that you had no issues with your knee KieranG - hope the training plan and diet go well. I'm constantly on SW!

Parkrun for me on Saturday and then in the afternoon I went on a walk with my husband to investigate a new local wetlands that I'm now going to incorporate into a run home. It'll add on an extra mile and is all flat - yeh! Yesterday I went out for a plod - just over 6 miles but really struggled - I get hayfever induced asthma which means that I feel really sluggish - had to walk part of a hill but heyho, got round! My next race is on Bank Holiday Monday when I do the BUPA 10k. A lovely day out there today.
  • Options

Hi Everyone...

Did a 10k race yesterday at Richmond which was 'interesting'.  Far too hot to start off with, missing my running buddy and found it really hard work after the London stuff. Time to either take some time off I think OR to get really back into training to make a difference. Still got a PB though but only 2 minutes faster than November but that was way cooler so I am still justifying it to myself.

Running buddy is doing Edinburgh this morning but there's no way of tracking her which is irritating; still otherwise all good.

Hope you are all ok..

• Options

Luxembourg in 5 hours 57 minutes and 16 seconds, Just 1 minute 54 seconds slower than a planned 7 minute/km - must try harder or have the course remeasured lol.

• Options

Luxembourg in 4 hours 57 minutes and 16 seconds, Just 1 minute 54 seconds slower than a planned 7 minute/km - must try harder or have the course remeasured lol.

• Options

Going to claim I was pacing for 5 hours as in the London (soory about the typo of 5 instead of 4 earlier).

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Afternoon all, running coming along reasonably nicely, did a nice steady 8 miler on Monday, need to start adding some miles, I want to be in a position to enter a half at short notice and be ready to run it without knackering myselfimage  Did a fab muddy off roader again last night in the New Forest, was slightly worrying that some of the puddles/mud we ran through had a slightly cow/horse poo odour to them image

Busy gym'ing as usual, think I may cancel tomorrows step & tone as I can still feel some pain in my foot and think it needs a couple of days rest.  

Blithespirit - a 2 min pb is great, why are you unhappy with it??

Good pacing Harmandar!

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

VLM officially entered for next year image  Check your email boxes folks if you deferred this year 

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Well done Harmander. Not been around much as it's been half term!

Did Vitality 10k (formerly BUPA 10k) on Bank Holiday Monday and got round in 56:55 so quite happy with that. I feel I could have been a little faster but it was very congested this time and difficult to make your way through. They've put the price up to ??30 next year so I may drop it from my list of races. Especially since the word is that they want to make it even larger and increase it from this year's 12,000 to 20,000 next year.

Running home tonight and trying to avoid the threatened thunderstorms - hope you all have good days.
  • Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Hi all, just back from a wet and windy week on the Isle of Wight, which involved absolutely no running whatsoever, but we did walk at least 10k every day if that counts !

Marathon Entry for 2017 done TopSec - see you there image

Picked up where I left off on the sub-1hr 10k programme today with a 5k run. I was so slow after 10 days off running that I was overtaken by a tortoise, with a snail close behind. Feels good to be back out there though after too many chips and ice creams last week.

That's a good solid 10k time Trigger, well done. I looked at the Vitality 10k this year, but decided against it as it was so expensive - and they're putting the price up even more next year. I have just paid £39 for the London marathon, which puts £30 for a 10k in perspective...

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back KieranG you'll soon be back where you left off in times of stamina etc. Well done for your marathon entry!

Have decided against the Vitality next year - the route was changed a couple of years ago which meant that it no longer runs along the Embankment nor does it go through Leadenhall market - both of which were great parts of the course. It was congested this year and if they increase the numbers next year it will be even worse unless you get in the front pens. Unfortunately my time doesn't put me there so probably time to call it a day. Have entered a local 10k for ??16 which is what I would call reasonable. The Marathon is certainly good value at ??39.

Managed to dodge the thunderstorms yesterday - they were over by the time I finished school. Looks like there are more today but I'm not running home tonight!

My next 10k is this Sunday at the Olympic Park - something arranged by the Dame Kelly Holmes Foundation - anyone there?

Have a good day
  • Options

Trigger,

I will be there at the Newham Classic 10km on 17 July - paced at 1 hour for my club colleagues last year (did 58:30) - it is quite hilly in parts. - see you there.

If anyone wants to check out their benchmark fitness in late August, suggest you try the 'Not the Rio Marathon on 21 August - also at the Olympic Park - finish in the Velodrome - only 400 entries. 

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander I'm not there on 17 July - holidays! But I've run there before - good luck!
  • Options

Thank you - have a great holiday.

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    So wet at the Olympic Park yesterday I swear I almost came back with webbed feet. Managed to finish the 10k in 55:03 so happy with that. Not happy that there were some amongs the "Elite 10k" who were finishing the first 5k lap in 44 minutes? Not quite sure for the rationale behind that one but was not the only one standing in the rain waiting for the 11.00 start for the "mass 10k"

Hope everyone's had good weekends. The schedule starts today for the 12 weeks leading up to the HM on 4 September. I like today's schedule - REST!
  • Options

Hello all - mind if I join you?

I've just found out that I have secured a charity place for the 2017 VLM. Not sure if I'm more excited or nervous! 

Used to do some running but never close to this sort of distance. I've recently been getting back into it after 11 years out so starting from scratch. I've entered the York 10K in August and am in the middle of a training plan for that at the moment. Seems to be going ok......

Anyway - look forward to chatting to you all. 

• Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    I'm taking part next year.

Not really run since 2012 due to a major operation on my knee. Had a PLC and ACL knee operation. I have been cycling since 2014 so my knee is pretty strong but I can wait to take part. Just need to find some marathon plans
  • Options

Dear Spenno2,

How can I help?

Just need to know what your availability to train over a week is and where your regards fitness level is right now.

• Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭

my fitness level is pretty good. I cycle a lot of miles per week.

My wife does a lot of TRI's so she trains every day so I need to train around her also and what with kids its going to be hard but its gotta be done.

• Options

Would you like me to draw up a flexible training schedule that you can fit in around your other commitments? 

Your response has not told me much about your running mileage or pace or how many blocks of time you can dedicate to the running - this would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

• Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    I'm planning to run Monday nights, Thursday and Friday then Saturday park runs and Sunday's. Sundays are going to be my long runs I imagine as I will be running longer on Sunday's as I won't be cycling come oct as I wanna start training for the marathon
  • Options

Hello Harmander - can I draw on your experience to ask if this sounds a sensible plan please?

As mentioned - I'm running the York 10K in August. My rough plan is then to enter a Half Marathon around November time before starting my VLM training after Christmas. I've seen a few training plans that I can make work to this schedule, but I just wondered if this sounds a sensible way to use the next 10 months building up to London?