Help - not enough go in my legs!

Hi, I am new to all this  - forums and running!

I am doing the Edinburgh marathon in 6 weeks, I started running about 6 months ago and started training before Christmas following a half marathon then a full marathon plan.  My concern is that I do  not have enough in my legs to carry me to the end. I was ill just after Easter and missed 2 long runs.  I am a bit of a plodder, around 11 minute mile, I had got up to about 16 miles before I was ill, and did my first long run yesterday since then, 17 miles, although the last couple of miles were awful, I think I could have walked quicker as my legs no longer wanted to work!

At the moment I am struggling to see how I can manage 9 more miles in only 6 weeks. I have 3 more long runs planned, 18, 19 and 20 miles then tapering down to the race weekend.  I am running 3 other times during the week 5, 9 and 3 miles.  It may be that I am just inexperienced or getting old (47) and that on the day all will be OK, any advice or words of wisdom would be gratefully received

Thanks

Comments

• StylishStylish ✭✭✭

You're doing great so stop worrying. If you do your planned runs of 18,19,20M you'll be more than capable of doing the marathon. If you missed two long runs its no big deal. The 17M run was hard because you missed a couple of weeks. Be positive, you'll have done the hard bit which is the training, taper properly and have a plan of how you're going to run the race. Stick to it unless something out of the blue happens on the day.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Hi Kozzer, I just ran my first marathon at 48. I'm also a plodder and also had to take a month out of my schedule (groin strain, in my case) but I got the race done. I did one 19 and one 20 mile run (and I spent the last two miles of the latter swearing and cursing!) Yeah, the marathon was a real b***** after 18 miles, as far as the legs went, but the crowd will carry you through. If you need to walk through the water stations and take the odd stretch break, don't worry about it. You'll make it. Promise.

• The first Long runs are always the worst. If they were easy then marathons would be easy.

On race day you have fresh legs and all those miles in your legs. You'll be fine.
  • Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom and support, it's mich appreciated. I guess I was just panicking a bit, I shall just keep plodding along. Thank you ????