Options

Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    FRG2 - Berlin is ballot now so that's already passed :)
  • Options
    baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Greg, as well as the charity route you might still get a place at Berlin through one of the tour operators, Sports Tours International, Running Crazy, 2:09 Events, and Swinley Travel in Wigan are all official tour partners. But they can be a bit pricey.

There's also Amsterdam, some people here have done fast times there. And Nells report on Valencia last year made me want to do that some time. 

But Paris is definitely worth doing and 150 doesn't sound too steep. It's probably about the amount the charity has had to pay for the place, so they're just covering their costs. Eurostar also has a deal on at the moment, though from the North West it's probably easier for you to fly to Paris.

If you really want to do London one year, and don't mind paying, I think there's a window in the autumn where they sell off the unused charity places. But the going rate is about £300. I was told that the chances of getting a place in the ballot are something like 1 in 17 - though that was by a rather stunned friend who got a place at the first attempt.

TBO2 hope your hamstring's sorted soon, and hope everyone's long runs and half marathons go well.
  • Options
    Katy thank you for replying, after looking more into things, I have looked at the mardird marathon for this year still can sign up for 80 euros, so be about 70 quid with today's exchange rate! 

Hi baldstan I did look into some of them your operaters you said I found they were pretty pricey for what they are, extremely pricey in fact,
    as I mentioned to Katy I'm thinking about doing the Mardird marathon this year, has anyone done this one before on here?  
    Is it easy to get into the Paris marathon if you sign up early? As will look to do it next year.
    300 isn't a bad price if you really want to do it, it's definitely somthing I'd look into around the time. Thanks for all the information.
  • Options

Hi Nicko1981- I am also doing the Bath half this weekend should be good. Done the MK 20 miles last week and struggled the last 5 mile as I had just come off holiday for two weeks and had not done any training for three weeks so need to pick up the distance for Manchester marathon and London Marathon. Did not have any luck in the New York ballot so will try again next year!

Good luck to all running this weekend and I hope anybody with injuries get better soon.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    RoddyMac - No problem I'll add you all to the list.

I'll announce details soon about where and when. I'm currently checking the options now I have a better idea of the numbers.

Gregory - Paris is relatively easy to enter, as long as you get in when they open that places. That would mean for next year check just after this years event for early bird discount prices, or around September time when it opens for general sale. Also by majors most would think of the races classed as World majors, which are London, New York, Boston, Berlin, Chicago and Tokyo. Paris is a race in size to match any of those, but it's not an official world major.

If you are looking for big city events I'd highly recommend Copenhagen and Stockholm. Both should be easy to get places for and take place in late May/early June. I'd avoid Edinburgh like the plague. The organisation at that is a shambles and route hardly touches Edinburgh!
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Good work Eggy. We probably need to think about the post run evening pub too.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Yes, we'll need to sort out a post race pub. Most important part of the weekend!

I was absent last year, so don't know what pub was used. I know it was different from the Irish pub in St. Michel we'd used the previous few years.
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    We went to the Frog pub in Bastille last year. It was good. 

Not it sure if we'll make it this time as we're flying home Sunday evening. Might have to head to the airport in search of a shower. 
  • Options
    CMT81CMT81 ✭✭
    Afternoon all! Chris here from Scotland, I am running the Paris Marathon (for free since I work for Schneider luckily) and I am just wondering if anyone knows what time the expo will close at?

My flight arrives into CDG around 2pm and I wasn't sure whether I had time to drop my kit off at the hotel then head in or get in ASAP.

Thanks in advance for any help!
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    CMT81 - Hello from Glasgow!

The expo is open until 7pm on Saturday. http://www.salondurunning.fr/us/informations/dates-and-hours

It's worth noting that it's practically on the other side of Paris from CDG, so it might be worth checking if you're better heading straight there and then to the hotel.
  • Options
    CMT81CMT81 ✭✭
    Eggy! Thanks for that, I'll check the route from the airport to the hotel and see if I'm better off. 

30 days to go, not that I'm counting!
  • Options
    Im in pen Violet - 32279
    Please add me to the list for Paris. 
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Is it normal to find running increasingly difficult in the lead up to a marathon? My whole body aches, I'm stiff going up and down stairs and I've only done short runs this week (6km Mon, 6km Tues, 12km today). I even had to walk up a hill today, I just feel so battered!
  • Options
    baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Hi katey, for me I have good days and bad days. Was feeling tired and achey at the start of the week, so I skipped a couple of runs and got an early night. Felt much better today. Though it helped that it was so sunny. Do you think you could still be a bit run down from the weekend, and haven't been able to get much recovery time (and sleep) between runs?
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Katey - It's perfectly normal. Even more so when it's your first marathon and you've been putting your body through training it's never had to deal with before.

The next couple of weeks can be tough. You've been out running distances all year that until recently you probably thought you couldn't do. Your muscles will have taken a battering. Soon you'll start to taper. That allows your muscles to recover.

A lot of people worry they'll lose fitness when they taper. You won't. It allows your body to recover and for you to get to the start fresh. I'm a great believer that in the day performance comes from the long term training. What you do in those last three weeks means nothing. In my opinion you're better off doing too little than too much in the taper period. 
  • Options
    Katy thank you for replying, after looking more into things, I have looked at the mardird marathon for this year still can sign up for 80 euros, so be about 70 quid with today's exchange rate! 

Hi baldstan I did look into some of them your operaters you said I found they were pretty pricey for what they are, extremely pricey in fact,
    as I mentioned to Katy I'm thinking about doing the Mardird marathon this year, has anyone done this one before on here?  
    Is it easy to get into the Paris marathon if you sign up early? As will look to do it next year.
    300 isn't a bad price if you really want to do it, it's definitely somthing I'd look into around the time. Thanks for all the information.
    Hi Gregory Curtis2,
    I hadn't planned Paris2017 and entered Madrid2017 instead. Then, our travel plans found me in Paris when this race in on! So, only one thing to do, both.
    Madrid looks like a more testing course and could be even more testing than normal now I'm planning to race Paris hard and only have two weeks recovery.
    The weather seems variable, Madrid last year seemed to be sunny and warm, the year before was wet and cooler.

For Paris, i entered when 'last bibs' were offered, I think that wasn't until well into January.

Good luck all,
    alan
  • Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Gregory-Swinley travel have Berlin for £250 for race and travel card,not too bad if you can get cheap flights 
  • Options
    Is anyone else using the official Paris Marathon smartphone app to track their comparative performance against other entrants?

It started off working ok, then went flaky, then got fixed but is definitely broken again for me... Anyone else having problems? It was quite useful, seeing how well your training compared to others of your age/ pen
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Dom I downloaded the app. It didn't register my runs at the beginning, then started to work in January but now says I haven't been out since 11 February. Thought it was just me!
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Dom I'm using it. All the images have gone so I have no idea which challenge I'm on. I've competed to other runners in each pen. I'm doing a lot less but that was anways my plan. 

What you are describing Katey is very normal. My legs are in the edge of getting injured. I've had to back off on my runs in the last couple of weeks. 

I've got a marathon to run tomorrow. It was my plan to use it as a bit of a practice for Paris. For me it's a 20 mile run at marathon pace. I'll see what happens after that. 
  • Options
    Wise words Eggy. 
    I'm using the app too. The images of the challenges (only 2 left) have disappeared but otherwise seems to be working albeit slowly.
    Good luck tomorrow Kenno.
    Nells - you'll smash that 2hrs when the course and conditions aren't against you. 
    List fairy, could I be put down for WGC HM on 19th March and London 23rd April.
    In other exciting news, the running vest is in the print shop. It is possible there are more important things to sort out :)
  • Options
    Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hello Chris-from-Scotland   :) . There are quite a few Scots (and expat Scots) in here. I've run Paris a couple of times in a Saltire vest and you always get a lot of 'Allez Ecosse!'.

What Eggy said about training, this is the hard bit. You're tired, you've been putting in the miles, but you can't see the end yet. These next few weeks will be the big final push. Your focus should be on staying uninjured (or managing any niggles you already have), eating, drinking and sleeping well. Soon you get to taper (which is a whole different challenge). And in less than a month you'll be cantering down the Champs Elysées :) .
  • Options
    Just in case you're in need of any inspiration now that there's less than a month to go, the official video they put up on FB is awesome: https://www.facebook.com/parismarathon/videos/1799511023408205/
  • Options
    So Iv thought guys I'm just going to be a late edition to Paris marathon and signed up with the charity "get kids going" 
    how is everyone getting to Paris ? And how long is everyone staying there? 
    I live in Cumbria, so even to get to London it's quiet abit of travel, Iv looked at flights from Manchester there about 130-150 pretty steap for an hours flight. 
    Euro star seems very pricey aswell plus I have to get to London for tbat, is anyone's travelling by car? Or coach? Not national express or anything like that as they take along time I mean private coach that just going for event. Obviously will pay my way. Let me no everyone please,
  • Options
    Hi all,

I have just found this forum....I am running Paris this year - its my first marathon.

Nerves are kicking in now and I'm starting to overthink everything! I have two questions for those who have run before:

1. What is the temp in Paris at this time of the year - do most people run it t-shirts/vests?

2. What are the water/drink stations like? On the website it mentions food/sugar stations...what is on offer at these? Is there any lucozade type drinks available towards the end.

I did a 20 mile trail race last Sunday (in the torrential rain and a lot of it was running through shin deep puddles) and I found it very difficult. I took gels with me but just relied on the water stations for fluid and it was 3 stations of plastic cups not even half filled with water and I don't think that helped (I should have taken my own drink with me....you learn from these things).

What are people planning on longest run - I'm in 2 minds part of me thinks do 16-18 this week and then another 20 next week (I have done maybe 4 17s, 2 18s, 1 19 and a 20 so far) but I don't know if I should go up to 22!? I'm really starting to feel drained and tired at this point so would be good to understand how others are getting on!

Thanks
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Gregory and Lucy - welcome! Let me know your number and pen and I'll add you to the list. If you want to join us on Saturday for pasta, let us know and eggy will add you. 

Im flying to Paris but got on the Eurostar last year. 

Temperature last couple of years has been in the low 20s so quite warm. I'll be in t-shirt even if it's been a bit cooler. 

Water stations are small bottles of vittel. There are also sugar cubes and fruit at some which I didn't touch. Take gels with you. I think there is some energy drink towards the end but I wouldn't rely on it. 
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    lucyfoster87 - Welcome to the thread!

1. The temperature can go either way. In the four times I've ran Paris it was mild the first year I ran and warm the other three times. Just keep an eye on the weather forecast the days leading up to the race.

2. There are water stations throughout the course, but they are just that water. There's one sports drink station near mile 19/20. I carry my own drink, through habit and it also avoids the carnage you get at the water stations. If you hit the water stations, avoid the first table and go for the later ones to avoid the rush and beware of people changing direction suddenly.

3. It sounds like you've put in some great long runs so far. I've done 22's in training for marathons, but they aren't really necessary. I think an 18 this week and a 20 next week and you'll be in a great position for starting your taper. If you're feeling drained and tired you've got your training right, as that is perfectly normal at this stage in training.

Gregory - I think most will be flying or Eurostar over to Paris. As ever, the earlier you can book these things the cheaper they are.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Another shout out for those interested in meeting up on the Saturday evening for some carb loading with fellow runners.

*** Saturday Night Meal ***
    So far we have 35 runners, friends and family confirmed.
    Eggy
    Running Rodent
    Kenno and co
    Nells and Mr Nells
    Hatton2009
    Katey and her entourage
    Dean Lucas
    Pistol101 +1
    Maccatheknacca
    Bandito
    Abi and crew
    KB +1
    Lloydr and crew
    Natty and Mr Natty
    Pancake2 plus supporter
    RoddyMac +2

Anyone else interested?

Time and venue to be confirmed this weekend.
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Lucy - one the marathon website FAQ page they say "There will be water, dry fruits, fresh fruits, and sugar every 5km." As Kenno says the water stations are small bottles of Vittel water, and they also have orange quarters and bananas as well as sugar cubes and possibly some dried fruit too! My first time in Paris I got around on half a flapjack and the bananas, but I tend to take my own gels now and think of the fruit available as a bonus if I need it. The oranges are quite refreshing after 20 miles! There has been an energy drink station, I think at about 19 miles (not entirely sure about the distance!) but I've never used it as I don't get on with drinking anything apart from water on runs.

One thing to note is that unless you're right at the front, the water stations can be a bit dangerous with the combination of liquid and orange and banana peel (and sometimes cobbles!) making things a bit slippy so worth being extra cautious around these!

Temperature wise - last year was very hot, and the two years before quite warm but not too bad. I think the year before that was a bit cooler so it will be a bit hard to predict up until the week before really! I'm planning on running in a vest and probably capri length leggings unless it's a blizzard.
  • Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    chris 1875 - good luck this weekend, if you see a bald guy in a black Prostate Cancer vest looking anxious in the start pen, that's likely to be me!

I know the pain of coming back from holiday back into heavy mileage, did 23miles on Sunday after almost 3 weeks off skiing in Japan, was not fun but my secret weapon of Bill Bryson audiobook got me through it, just! Runs this week have been good though, shorter trying to get the pace up a bit to get near my half PB.

Good luck everyone racing or doing long runs this weekend.