Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• Amazing, thanks for the information! I think I will take my own water and gels, sounds a bit risky relying on theirs!

I think I am in the 4 hr 15 min pen...but I am not 100% sure!

I'm not getting there until the Saturday afternoon so I'm going to be in quite a rush so I think I will have to give the pasta thing a miss - but thanks for the offer!

Its a strange feeling this build up....I am mixed with excitement and nerves!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    lucy - That pretty much sums up marathon running. A mix of excitement and being scared witless. First marathon though, nothing better than crossing that finish line and collecting your medal.

Stick around if you have time in Paris that weekend. We've still to organise a couple of Runners World forum Paris traditions. The pre-race photo at the Arc before heading to the pens, and of course the all important post-race pub meet.
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Hi Lucy, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've done some impressive mileage already. I'm going to do my third 20 mile run in a week's time, but I'm slow and I've been injury prone in the past so I'm not going to risk doing more than a 20 this close to the race.

Last year I took a small sports bottle screw cap to put on the water bottles from the drinks stations so I could run with them for a mile or so. If it's as hot as last year I might do the same this time.

And as Nells said, watch out for the banana skins and orange peel!
  • LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭
    I have run Paris marathon twice before and both times the weather has been in the 20s and warm.
    Last year it was cold and rainy the Saturday night but the next day the sun came out and it was glorious weather - but a bit too warm to be running and a lot of people suffered.
    Last year 43,520 started and crossed the start. Of these, 41,708 finished meaning that 1,812 didn’t make it to the end.

So that means you're no wiser from this info and should check the weather forecast close to race day.

The bottles that they give out on the course are perfect for holding in your hand and taking a swig from, rather than an open plastic cup that goes all over your face and your top. You can then discard the bottle when you've had enough and avoid having to carry water with you.
    It is mayhem at the water stations but as long as you take care they are navigable. I will be using the water stations and carrying some gels with me.

At a few points on the course there are spray points that shower the road with cool water. While this is refreshing on a warm day, learn the lesson from a friend of mine that used them and then found that his iphone had been soaked and was ruined by the time he finished.
  • I'm glad these feelings are normal! I feel like all I talk about and think about is this marathon.

I have only managed to do so many long-ish runs because the thought of a marathon terrifies me, it seems so far!

Thanks for the weather tips - I think I will take leggings and a vest, shorts and t-shirt and a long sleeve t-shirt and just decide on the morning!

Good idea on the bottle top...I might steal that idea too!
  • Water stations - can be a bit of a melee, with runners giving very little thought about cutting across you/ stopping suddenly. My Paris experiences improved immensely once I started carrying my own and switching to the opposite side of the road every 5k! The advertised 'sports drink' is late in the race and often gone by the time most of us get there. In terms of nutrition, I can't stress enough the importance of racing on the stuff you've trained on. If that's bananas, sugar cubes and raisins, you're in for a treat. If not, bring your own!

Temperature - can be ridiculous (2011 was 25 degrees) and always warmer than anything a UK entrant will have run in since October. A good 'average' year would be 14-18. I've never run in the rain there. weirdly! Definitely T-shirt weather. Echo RR's 'flag vest' tip. Running in a Union Jack shirt gets lots of 'Allez Angleterre' (slightly inaccurately) and the occasional 'Long live the Queen'! If you're Welsh, why would you ever consider not running in the Dragon?

Travel - Eurostar is great if you can get to London easily, with little of the hassle associated with flying these days. There's also something special about getting on a train and getting off in a whole different culture...

Long Runs - this weekend would seem to be the best one to peak on, perhaps with a tune-up Half raced next weekend? I'm doing 23m on Sunday, but only off the back of 2 solid years of injury-free fitness building. Wouldn't have considered it a couple of years ago, rightly. Welwyn Half the Sunday after.

Could the List Fairy please add me to WGC Half 19th March and the 3:30 pen, bib 17023?
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Less than a month to go and getting nervous! 
    I've got quite a few supporters coming (12 at last count - not even one per mile, as my daughter pointed out). Is it best for them to group, or spread out, do you think? I expect I'd appreciate one every 500m by the time I reach Bois de Boulogne! 
  • 12? I'm not sure I know that many people!

Having missed supporters in the past due to crowds/ difficulty for them moving between places, perhaps play percentages and get them to break into groups of 4?
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Best way to see your supporters is get a flag pole (decathlon do a retractable one) and an identifiable flag. So not a Union Jack as there will loads. I flew the Buckinghamshire flag for my wife a few years ago and we were easy to spot. 

Apps like find my iPhone or find friends work well for realtime tracking too. I always use it to track my wife, worked a treat in London last year as I knew when she was coming. 
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dom. It has to be said that these are family members with a good excuse for a Parisian weekend. 
  • Hi guys so Iv just booked my place with sports tours, as its my first marathon I'm completely unsure what my time will be, I normally just do shorter distance running I.e 10kms .
    my pb for 10km is 41 minutes iv said I'd do the Marathon in 5 hours possibility do it quick than this but like I said its first so unsure! 
    Iv booked on got my confirmation do I wait for them to contact me with my number and information on event? 
    Also yes I'd be up for meeting for some pasta the night before, I'l Be with two of my friends. What is the price for this? Thanks Greg.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Gregory - I'll sort the venue this weekend. It'll be an informal meet up, ordering from the menu. I'll add your friends and you to the list. We're up to 40 all in now.

FRG2 - I agree with them staying together. Flags on poles work wonders for spotting supporters. It can also be a massive boost for the runner when you see a flag waving in the distance and you know your friends are there.

Lucy - One tip for bringing your running gear. If you're flying, it goes in the hand luggage. We had an incident last year where a forumite made it to Paris, but their luggage didn't. Thankfully the fine ladies of the Paris forum where able to help her out and met her before the race with kit for her to run in. That's not the panic anyone needs the day before a marathon!
  • CMT81CMT81 ✭✭
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Running%20Rodent">Running Rodent</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Hello Chris-from-Scotland   :) . There are quite a few Scots (and expat Scots) in here. I've run Paris a couple of times in a Saltire vest and you always get a lot of 'Allez Ecosse!'.

</div>
    </blockquote>
    Hey RR! Sounds great! Any bit of encouragement and support from the crowd always helps! Think I'll get the saltire stitched onto my top. Done my 2nd last long run of 18miles today and I'm feeling it now! 20 next Friday then start rolling down the miles.

This board is a great way to get all the info needed, thanks everyone
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    I'm running a marathon tomorrow. I wanted to do one 4 weeks out as a bit of a practice and maybe run a good time so I don't go to Paris with an all or nothing feeling. I'll be honest, I'm totally bricking it. 
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Kenno.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Kenno!
  • TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Kenno!
    Thanks Baldstan for you comments many pages back-hamstring is pulled and I've been told by the physio to stop running. I got a slight dispensation for a run on international women's day but have to say I was hurting at the end. It's great seeing everyone's excitement and hearing about the arrangements. Good luck to all running whatever distance this weekend.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    TBO2 - Sorry to hear about your hamstring problem. I hope it heals quickly.
  • Hi again, so excited now Iv actually signed up nervous also! 

As as I haven't been giving much info yet will probably get it all Monday when sports events is open, 

just wanted to ask, do we register when we get there? And are giving are running chips then?

sorry for going on lol 
  • TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    Eggy thanks for that.
    I agree with your comments about supporters. As I'm slow the crowds had thinned out in the bois de Boulogne and it was hard going. I can't tell you what a boost it was to get a cheer and support from the minions.
    Also agree with the hand luggage thing-it was do impressive though how everyone got kit together, shows what a real running community this is 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Gregory - You need to pick your bib up from the expo. The timing chip is built into the bib.

It's worth noting if you haven't read much into it that you'll need a couple of documents to collect you bib. You need a medical certificate signed off by a doctor. The form is available to download and print on the Paris marathon website. You'll get an email closer to the event telling you to print of a document they call a convocation. You also need to print that off and take it with you along with the signed and stamped medical certificate to collect your bib.

If you're travelling in the Saturday make sure you give yourself enough time to get out to the expo. 
  • Bandito27Bandito27 ✭✭✭
    Good luck for today Kenno and to those doing the north London half tomorrow.

welcome Lucy... You'll find lots of really good advice, help and motivation from the group. You'll really enjoy Paris.

was supposed to be doing 60 miles this week but so far I've only managed 3. ☹ not a good end to my plan... we'll seen what tomorrow brings
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Good luck to everyone running events this weekend!

Thank you for the reassurance that it is normal to feel like I'm struggling at this point. I will see how tomorrow's 18 mile run goes which will be my longest to date. Then next weekend is a half marathon and the following weekend I'll attempt a 20 mile run before blissful tapering!

Reading up about the temperature has got me worried as I don't do well running in hot weather but mainly because all my training runs have been with a jacket on which has good pockets for iphone, headphone, gels, jelly babies and keys. I've just done a search and have been looking at running belts but I'm worried they will ride up or down as I run. Any recommendations. Also worried in case a t-shirt chaffs on my arms as I'm not used to running wearing one. I think I'll just have to do a trial run.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Katey: for the belts it's just about trying ones that work. There are loads out there. I get on well with camelbacks but there's a flip belt I know a lot of people swear by. 

For chaffing,  you can lube up with vaseline or bodyglide.  

I'd always recommend doing a trial run of at least half marathon distance of your race day clothing and trainers to make sure that you've got it all sorted and it doesn't annoy you. I didn't do this for a marathon and ended up getting some serious chaff in my under carriage from the tights. 
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Good luck today kenno, and everyone racing this weekend. I managed parkrun this morning and was only 8 seconds off my PB, so very pleased and surprised by that. Even managed to beat the man with his labrador for the first time. Though that may have been because it was so warm and there were a lot of other dogs in the park.

Good luck with your long slow run tomorrow katey. I've tried several belts and my current favourite is a Zone3 race belt with a stretchy pocket that holds an iPhone, tissues, keys and several gels, with three more belt loops for gels, and toggles for your race number. I've found things tend to bounce around too much in bigger pockets, and on some cheap belts the strap doesn't stay tight.
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    3:56:55. I'm broken. 
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Well done Kenno!!!!  You could have gone faster if you hadn't live facebooked it ;-) :-D 

Can't wait for the race report 
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    If I went faster my hamstrings would have cramped and I would have had to crawl!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Enjoy the glow! You've earnt it! 
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Good job, Kenno!
    Katey I use a flip belt. Keeps my phone, gels and a packet of tissues. It doesn't move about, or bounce. There's a key hook. Planning to pick up water on the way round, though I have seen some belts with small water bottles.
    Reading clothing comments with interest. Paris always seems to be a few degrees warmer than England (unless it's cold, then it's a few degrees colder). Found a Union Jack running vest online following RR's Saltire comments yesterday (and mother-in-law's suggestions (she thinks I'll be the only Brit running). Have found vests tend to chafe the arms in the past, so will need to try it out first. And will be sure to pack some spare kit in case of emergency!