Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Kenno, Emmy. Looking again at the stats, I set of too fast in MK, and slowed considerably by the end. Will keep an eye so I don't make the same mistake in Paris (hopefully). And body check too.
    Do people tend to run with headphones?
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Headphones - yes they do. I'm one off them. 

Ive thought a lot today about all the mistakes I made last year. I'll post them all here at some point if anyone finds it useful. 
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    As long as the mistakes doesn't start:

1. Entering the marathon

Then any advice is great, I'm really glad I've found these forums, they have been a huge help already. 
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    :-) Katey

ive entered 5 more since Katey so that's not one of them. 
  • Go for it Kenno. I did a similar thing on the P&D thread a while back, apart from being cathartic, I think it helped me avoid repeating most of them (touch wood). 
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    What I would say is that if you do have a shocker marathon (I really hope no one does), don't delay in entering another. Don't give up, use it as a learning experience and come back and give it another go. 
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Great idea Kenno! I've run a few so here's some of my lessons learned: 
    - Listen to your body during the race. I run to heart rate and feel rather than pace so I can see when something isn't right.  If you're pushing it at 5 miles, something isn't right. 
    - There's no shame in a run/walk strategy.  1 of my fastest marathons was a 9+1 run /walk! 
    - Follow through your fuelling and hydration strategy 
    - Be pragmatic when/if things goes wrong. I've forgotten socks, gels, been late, lost stuff along the way. Realise that your race isn't made or broken with one problem or within 5k. You can solve pretty much everything. 
    - Don't try anything new or eat anything new. It's not worth it.
    -  There are cobbles in Paris and yes they can be slippy with the fruit skins but it's easy to avoid.  
    - have some solid mental strategies when things get rough. Counting,  singing, whatever you want.  
    - It will hurt but it's going to be OK.
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Good tips thanks.

I think I might benefit from a 9+1 strategy. How do you time it? I don't want to be a slave to my running watch so is it best to set my phone doing beeps every 9+1?
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    And would it be a good strategy to say run 15km and then start 10+1? 
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    What watch do you have Katey? On some of them you can set it to beep or buzz for run/walk intervals.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Katey - I think if you plan a run/walk it's better to do that from the very start. What you're aiming for is to feel stronger in the latter stages of the race and reduce the fatigue of constant running.
  • Agree with Eggyh73. It's hard to resist running at the early stages and very easy to carry on running specially when people are overtaking you in flocks! But the idea of Run/Walk strategy is to bank energy for the later stages.

I have tried 9+1 strategy in some of my training runs and one race. Even though i didn't manage to get a personal best in the race, I felt much stronger at the finish.

Katey, another way at planning Run/Walk is to stop near the water/drink stations, refuel your self with gels+water (or whatever works for you), relax and resume running. By doing this you are giving your legs/lungs/heart a bit of rest and giving rest of the body to absorb the fluids/nutrients that it needs for the rest of the race!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Madhu: that's a good idea if you're planning a break every 5k and it's not too long. If you're taking 45 mins between each station it could be a bit too long.

Katey: as Nells said, a lot of watches will do these intervals for you. 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Right now to get down to the serious business and the real reason for the weekend. The post-run pub gathering. Relax, drink, be merry and feel smug with your finisher t-shirt and medal on.

The proposed venue is a bar called Frog Revolution, which is close the the Bastille Metro Station. They serve food, which apparently got good feedback last year. The current idea is to book it from 5pm onwards, so those wanting to grab a bite to eat can get something there. http://www.frogpubs.com/pub-frog-revolution-paris-8.php

All interested say aye! Last year the upstairs section of the pub was booked by us and we're looking to do the same again.
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    I have a Garmin Vivioactive HR as my watch although use RunKeeper on my phone which does intervals. My old Garmin did but it broke and I've only had my new one a few weeks.

We are driving back Sunday evening so I don't think I'll be able to join you, I'll have to check what time our Eurotunnel is booked for but I think it was 9pm from memory. I'll probably still be running at 5pm mind you!
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    I think my phone will go flat for the duration of the marathon, the battery life is awful, hence needing a way to try intervals on my watch. Will have a play. I'm doing the Hastings Half this weekend so might try the run walk approach there.
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Although I know I can run a half without stopping! It tends to be after mile 13 I start to have problems. Mind you, I'm not running fast!
  • LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info Eggy.

This will be my first Paris that I'm not rushing off to the airport to catch a flight back home immediately after the race. I will certainly be having some drinks after and hope to get to the pub with you all. But I will be with friends so it may depend on their willingness to to join in (although if I mention alcohol I don't suppose it will be difficult  :-) )
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Katey - not sure if this is the same model as yours but from the Garmin website:

Setting Walk Break Alerts

Some running programs use timed walking breaks at regular intervals. For example, during a long training run, you can set the device to alert you to run for 4 minutes, and then walk for 1 minute, and repeat. Auto Lap® functions as usual while you are using the run or walk alerts.

1. Select the action key.
    2. Select an activity.
      NOTE: This feature is not available for all activities.
    3. Select > Alerts > Add New.
    4. Select Run/Walk.
    5. Enter a time for the run interval.
    6. Enter a time for the walk interval.

Each time you reach the alert value, a message appears. The device also vibrates if vibration is turned on (System Settings).

(https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/vivoactive/EN-US/GUID-228F168D-D601-40E7-9497-AFDB55A5A47C.html)

• Count me in for the Frog, Eggy. I can confirm that the burgers are excellent and the toilets are also on the first floor which means no waddling up and downstairs (this is important, post-marathon). 
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Thanks Eggy. We're flying out of CDG Sunday evening but will see if we can manage a quick drink. We may venture to the airport for a shower though.
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Alcohol sounds good. Have given up for a while for marathon training, so will need a drink by then! Like Lloyd, will need to see how keen my supporters are, though. 
  • RoddyMacRoddyMac ✭✭✭
    Count me in for the Frog. Hopefully I'll have finished before closing :#
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Here is my list of mistakes:

1. I started to taper 3 weeks out. I dropped my mileage far too quickly. Some might say it should matter that much, but it might have caused some of my issues

2. Don't carry heavy suitcases up a very very very long escalator that isn't working in Paris. We went via Eurostar with 2 kids and their Godmother (who is amazing and looked after them). Our journey was: walk from house to bus stop, bus to train station, train to London, on the underground up and down stairs, get to Eurostar, lug 2 heavy suitcases onto it, take them off, RER across Paris and the station we got off at the escalator and lift wasn't working. I carried both big suitcases all the way up in one go. I was knackered. Next day was the start of my Achilles issue that lasted all summer. Get someone to pick up your heavy bags for you or travel light!

3. If you have a target time, think about a plan B if you realise at some point in the race it will won't happen. I ran with a self made pace band. I was pacing 3:52. I also had a pace band for 3:39:59 so I knew where I could slip to. I got ahead of 3:52 which was daft. I should have held back. I then had a quick pee and ended up 30 or so seconds behind. I tried to claw some back but shouldn't have done. I got to the end of the long underpass around 16-17 miles or something and I lost GPS signal and a mile marker was in the tunnel. This threw me big time. I then had to walk up the ramp out of the tunnel. My head dropped and I gave up. I didn't even adjust to 3:39:59 pace. 

4. If you are pacing for a specific time, don't rely on your watch alone. You will run more than 26.2 miles. Know what your splits need to be each mile and use the mile or km markers to check your pace. In my first marathon I relied on the app on my phone. It spoke to me through my headphones every half mile. The race only had km markers (Paris has both) and only towards the end with a bit of maths I realised my app was saying I had run a bit further than I actually had done. 

5. Do not underestimate your ability to think straight and work out your pace when you nave already run 20 miles. Last Saturday I had run 20 in 2:58. 6.2 to go, 62 minutes left. I couldn't calculate what pace I needed to run to get under 4 hours so phoned my wife and asked her to work things out. I was fortunate I was able to do that. 

6. There will come a point when you think you need to stop. This will happen, keep running and you will get through it. It is supposed to be hard. 

7. Last of all, if it doesn't work out, it's only a race. Learn from it and come back and give it another go. 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Kenno great list and I'm sure that there will be lots added. 
    I echo what you say about not relying on your watch alone - especially with the tunnels in Paris. If you plan to aim for a time, create a pace band and check your time as you pass each marker. 
    Also, the GPS in phones is not as accurate as that in dedicated running watches. When I used my phones for runs it used to show me running through people's gardens. 
    Now that was tricky to explain to the police ;)

I'll add something. The start of the race has a slight downhill. You will find yourself running faster than you intend and feeling great. Try to reel yourself in and slow right down. It will feel wrong but it isn't. 
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tips. FRG1 will carry the bags
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    A question: ran 20miles today - last long run. Plan says taper: 12m 'long' run next week. Is it too soon (Kenno's first mistake)?
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Thanks kenno for putting that together. Really good advice. I'm sure I'll make plenty more mistakes of my own, but when I get to 6. your wise words will help to keep me going. And hope to see everyone at the Frog. Thanks Eggy for sorting that.
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    FRG, I think someone last year (Jimbob?) said that during the taper it's best not to do more miles than there are days to the race. So I'm going for 16 next Friday, and tapering from there. I'm sure others will be fine with more, but it takes me a while to recover.
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Great list thanks. Especially 6 for me. I think I've given up on training runs too easily even though it felt like torture at the time.

I think my training is seriously under mileage and it's giving me sleepless nights. Have my half this weekend and then was going to try 18 miles next weekend. I seriously underestimated how hard it would be to fit in training with a job, commute, four year old who hasn't started school yet and a baby who has an aversion to sleep. When I do run I'm sometimes knackered before I'm even out the door!