Options

Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Eggy have you done the Great Scottish Run? Just toying with entering seeing as I enjoyed the half and thought it might be good to pay for something before Paris puts me off for life! At least that way I'll have to keep running. What is it like? 
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I've ran it several times. It's a local race for me. It's a good event, by far the biggest half marathon participation wise in Scotland. Fairly typical Great Run style organisation. 

I got cheap entry for this years race, as they messed up the course measurement last year. It was 200m short! 

There's a hill near the start, but after that it's pretty much flat. I thought the route they used a few years ago was better, as it went through a few areas that had great support. The current route is sparsely supported, but takes in a few more of the city landmarks.
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Thanks I think I'll enter, flights are cheap enough and it sounds like a good one for me being predominantly flat although after Hastings I'm not totally scared of some hills! The write ups for it are good and it sounds like it has a strong atmosphere.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    It's a good event. I'll be happy to act as a tour guide, or give you tips on places to see if you decide to come up.
  • Options
    Many of the Caledonian Massive on here have done the GSR - Eggy's right, it's a good course and you'll have a fun weekend in Glasgow (and I say this as an Edinburgher...).
  • Options
    I ended up getting my medical certificate signed off with no charge, the doctor was happy to do it despite the receptionist saying they wouldn't when I went in last time. Success!
  • Options
    nimpynimpy ✭✭
    Hi all
    1st post I think!
    Running this for the 2nd time, sooo looking forward to it. Last year failed miserably to get out for beers after. Is there somewhere most of the UK runners meet up ?

Cheers
    Keith
  • Options
    Hi all

Has anyone tried compression leggings for running in and do they work?

I did my last long run on Sunday and managed 22 miles which really boosted my confidence! So now that I actually think I can make it to the end I am panicking about what to wear on the day....and I wondered if compression leggings might give me some extra support!

Katey - I'm with you....I have signed up for two halfs in May to keep me motivated after Paris, and running with other people so I can't just drop out ha!

My training plan has a 3 week taper so I'm doing 14 miles next weekend and 10 the week after! I did up my mileage earlier than it suggested and have ran a long run of at least 14 miles every week since Christmas so I really think I need the 3 weeks (before Christmas I had never run more than a half so its been a shock to the system)!
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Emma16 - That's great news.

nimpy - See my earlier post about a pub meet after the race. We have the upstairs booked of the Frog and Revolution pub from 5pm onwards. All welcome.

lucyfoster87 - For what to wear on the day I'd just go with whatever you've been using on your long training runs. If you plan on trying something new, then this weekend is really your last chance to test it out on a long run before Paris. You don't want to be trying anything new on the day.

I know a few people that swear by compression tights after a marathon to aid recovery.

That's an impressive long run streak your on. Most plans would have you backing off one in every four weeks.
  • Options
    Thanks Eggyh

I did do the step back every 4 weeks, just got the mileage high early on....because I was scared of being ill or something later on in the plan and wanted to have some in the bank in case I had to miss a week or so! The fear of being able to get to the end has really driven me though!

Yes I know, I don't know why I do this...I start over thinking things and panic. I have loads of running clothes and none of them irritate me so I should just pick something I like! I might order some compression leggings and if I don't want to wear them during the marathon, put them on after to help recovery!
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Panicking about your first marathon, and many after, is normal. You've done the hard work now. Paris is the victory lap.
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Lucyfoster I used to do all of my runs in compression tights, as I suffered a lot from pulled muscles. 
    I made a conscious decision to try running without them and didn't notice any difference- apart from a bit of a chill.
    As for do they work?
    If you wear them and you think they work, then they do. 
    I would change anything for race day at this point
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Eh up.  I'll be at the pub :)
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Of course you will, dear.  :D
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    I wore the leggings I was planning to wear for my last long run and the label scratched my back to bits, my husband says it looks like a spiderweb of scabs radiating from one point. I've worn them lots of times on upto 10 mile runs without a problem! I've found another pair now.

My issue is I feel the cold so haven't run without a jacket and I have had tshirt rub on 10km in the past. Might have to brave the cold and run without it this weekend.
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    I've found compression socks work well after a long run, which means I can actually walk the following day. 
    Tried a vest top at the gym today as I usually find they rub, but was okay. Not sure if 8 miles is long enough to test though. 
  • Options
    Before, during, or after? :D 
    I'm a big fan of compression tights after a race or hard training session - in fact the post-race 'Skins in the pub' look is the height of chic. im sure it helps the legs feel better the next day (I'll sleep in them too). I've also worn calf guards to run in, although I suspect that might be more psychological than physical support - but hey, if it works, it works.
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Evening all. I've lost my mojo. Can't remember where I put it. 
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Actually I might just go straight to the pub.  I slept in my skins once.  I slid around the bed all night, it was slightly disconcerting.  And I am a big fan of my calf guards for long runs.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I plan to wear my kilt to the pub. I won't be wearing compression tights under that!
  • Options
    Kenno - might it be hiding under your Sub Four Medal? :)
    Seriously though, you deserve a bit of a rest, your body may be telling you to back off for a few days.
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    You are probably my right RR. I'm being asked by a few people now how much faster I'll go in Paris. To be honest, I'm just not bothered. I'm tempted to take a big risk and up the pace a bit and see if I can hang on. Tom Williams says a few times on marathon talk that sometimes people should take a risk. Maybe he's talking to me. 
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Kenno - You achieved your target time, so it's little surprise that your mind is saying job done.

That said I ran a PB in Paris in 2015. I had Stockholm to run a few weeks later. I totally backed off any speed work, as I was happy with the PB and was planning to cruise around and enjoy Stockholm. I knocked another couple of minutes off my PB in Stockholm.

I only knew I was on pace at the midway point, as I glanced at my watch and saw it was exactly on my Paris time. The fact it was Baltic and pouring with rain was the motivating factor to get to the finish line quickly. Good Scottish running conditions.
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    I might just go straight to the pub.  I slept in my skins after some heinously long run that Dame Rodent hauled me around last year.  I slid around the bed all night, it was slightly disconcerting.  I'm a big fan of my calf guards for long runs too
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Kenno - Tom says a lot ;-) There's a lot to be said for suicide pacing (going off as fast as you can and holding on) but I think that you need to have a lot of mental resilience and are a glutton for punishment. I know that I dont have that. I just don't care enough.

I love calf guards and compression gear post run. I can't run in them, they're just too uncomfortable but you will see me sporting a calf guard, shorts and crocs combo post marathon.

24k for me in the sunshine today. Was absolutely lovely!
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Emmy - I'm not going to go as fast as I can. I'm thinking if 10-15 seconds per mile faster and seeing what happens. I think I'll fade at the end whatever happens. If I'd tried to do an even pace then I think I would have missed out on sub 4. I may change my mind nearer the time though. I was really excited last week but now I'm just not bothered :-(
  • Options
    I'm with you Kenno - depending on conditions on the day, I was planning on going 10s under MP and seeing what happens, monitoring heart rate to ensure that I keep a 20 BPM reserve for the final 6 miles...

Stats are on our side according P&D - personal bests are rarely achieved with large negative splits. However, it's risky so monitoring HR is essential to spot the signs of an onrushing wall.
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    20 bpm?? I never have that much to spare!
  • Options
    Bandito27Bandito27 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Emmy - fantastic effort in the 24k. makes a difference to the Wind :smile:  Go Girl....

Kenno - me and you had a nightmare last year lets make a pact to "Do" Paris 2017 BIG STYLE !!!!! i'm with you on the pushing front. I don't feel that animated and excited at present but have 2 1/2 weeks to give myself a kick up the backside and get on it....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eggy - Put me down the everything inc the pub etc if you need any help etc i'm more than willing to help etc..

Nimpy - welcome and have a read of the first post etc this will give you a flavour of the lovely people here on this forum. Jump forward and read a few towards the end and you will see Eggy posting notes about meeting up etc. I travel on to Paris on my own, last year being my first, and felt incredibly welcomed by everyone. join in the fun.... :smile:

Taper well and truly started ... sitting here watching the football with a beer or two... :smile: