Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• NellsNells ✭✭✭
    I'm not registered for it this year Ken, but was last year and have a convocation saved in my files from then... Looks like I saved it on the 30th, so during the week before the marathon.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Kenno - You might need to reprint your convocation. I noticed on mine that it mentions that I'd added the breakfast run as an extra. Seems to be different now that they list it as an extra to the marathon, rather than an event in it's own right. 

I remember the first year I ran the breakfast run you didn't even need to register for it, just turn up. This will be the third route I'll have ran for it. First time I ran it you went from the Tower to Ave Foch, then a couple of years later they reversed the route, now it's an entirely new route.
  • There are also oranges and bananas - watch out for the peel underfoot.
  • Breakfast t-shirts are on your race number. Collect them from another area of Expo I seem to remember. They also give you a Union flag to take with you.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    ***** Breakfast Run Meet *****

Anyone is wanting to meet-up prior to the breakfast run on Saturday morning. The meeting point is displayed on the map below. Meeting at 8:30am.

I'll be there. Just look out for a tall ugly Scottish bloke who lacks any French sophistication or style.

BRun.png 192.9K
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Eggy! They'll never find you with that description!

What he means is: pale skinned, friendly, smiling tall Celt who looks like he could run a marathon and who knows better than to slouch around moodily smoking cigarettes and drinking Pernod all day.
  • My first 5k since March 27th. Hamstrings, ankle and Groin taped up with KT tape. Not sure if its affective. Still some niggles that I can do without. Shortened my pace and stepped up the cadence to ease the problems. 11:29 min miles. HR a low 118. If I can do 26.2 of those min/miles I'll make it before being swept up by the bus.
  • nimpynimpy ✭✭
    Eggy thanks for the reply to my earlier post. Do you go onto the party at the rue Princesse after the Frog ?
    It could all be a moot point for me atm, threw my back out last Thu. not right at all, taken the usual pills. But it has just piled more on what has been a very poor few weeks of training with family problems and injury. Gutted. Furthest I have managed this year has been 18 miles and that was a month ago. May just turn up for the beginning take in some atmosphere and then bail.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    nimpy - No, for most of us we'll be camping in the Fog and Revolution all evening. I hope you're back is feeling better soon.

Fred - Hope you're felling better soon. That's sounds like a lot of taping! Shortened stride is what I've been doing to protect my hamstring recently.

Nells - I might be able to pull off slouching and moody.
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Fred that is still faster than I'm aiming for so I hope the sweeper bus is way way behind you (and behind me)! I don't care about my time, I just want to cross that finish line before they pack up.

Hopefully everyone's health niggles resolve in the next few days. I'm feeling much better and no knee pain (albeit I've not run on it). 

I keep meaning to say thanks to Eggy for all the organisation and very clear meeting point maps. 
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Eggy: Nells description is much more accurate :-) 

Wrap yourselves in cotton wool people!  Not long to go! 

I'm incredibly jealous I won't be there but I'll be racing you in Rotterdam 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Emmy - Hope you have a good time in Rotterdam. 
  • Hi all.
    My marathon planning being about as thorough as my marathon training, just starting to think about the weekend now. Am 46770 (green) - Justin. 4 hours won't happen though, this is a tourism marathon.
    Are you guys meeting for dinner on Saturday, beers on Sunday, and can you tell me where and when?
    Arriving Friday, going to parkrun footing on Saturday.
    Cheers Justin
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Justin: Eggy has organised dinner on Saturday night and after the race there's burgers at frog burger and then drinks later on

I can't remember the precise locations. 

Thanks Eggy.  I'll be back :-)
  • RoddyMacRoddyMac ✭✭✭
    Justin check out page 56 details there
  • > @RoddyMac said:
    > Justin check out page 56 details there

Thanks. Found it. Anyone know if I can just rock up on Saturday for dinner or too late to add to the booking?
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Justin - Feel free to come along for the meal on Saturday. I'm sure we can cram another body in there. We meet up at 5:30pm at the place shown on the map on my post on page 56.

Also you'd be more than welcome at the post race meet-up at the Frog and Revolution pub at Bastille. We have the upstairs area booked there from 5pm onwards.
  • Bandito27Bandito27 ✭✭✭
    Hi Justin - you'll be more than welcome to join in the fun. We're a welcoming lot and very friendly. Don't be shy, come along and join in. Lots of very nice people here on the forum and lots of support and advice etc. Look for the meet points etc especially for Sunday as we have a group photo at the Arc which is special. :smile:

• Hi all,

In the same position at Justin, been manic at work and home so zero thinking about the weekend other than Eurostar and Airbnb booked yonks ago. So different from my 1st marathon foray this time last year!

Done South Downs marathon and Loch Ness since (jog/walk, that one, grumbly hip flexors). I'm 43640 Verte, but 4 hrs with the forecast might be a tad overambitious :-).

Would be great to meet up and hope to join you for the Sunday group photo and eats/drinks, but wife (non-runner) might have different ideas!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Andrew - All are welcome at the group photo and the pub post race.
  • If any Paris Marathoners are deeply concerned about beating the cut off time on marathon day perhaps the image that I have posted below might boost your confidence. It's the Run/Power Walk/ Run technique by Jeff Galloway. I'm following it on Sunday using 2/1 intervals. It doesn't matter how you break down the 2/1 sequence. 2 min/1 min or even 40 secs/20 secs, both will get you over the finish line in 5 hours with a low (ish) heart rate. Take a look.
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Hi Fred, I'm interested in this as the cut off time and niggiling knee have me worried, but I haven't trained using this method and it just seems like a lot of walking to me which means my running will need to be faster than normal. I wish I had more time to play around with it and test it out. Very interesting though. My dream time is 5 hours 40 minutes but I'll be delighted with sub 6 and pleased if I just finish before they pack up and stop handing out medals!
  • Hi everyone, I found this thread a couple of weeks ago, thanks for all the information and helpful advice on here, I have a place in the marathon and breakfast run, however due to life gettting in the way I've not been sure if I'll make the startline, at the moment it looks like I will but I hope I'm not tempting fate writing this. 

If I do start the race it will be my second marathon my first one was York last year, my training has been generally okay although a few niggles in the last few weeks. My longest run has been 18 miles, which was my longest last year training for York so I'm hoping that will be enough. I'll be hanging around at the back of the grey area on Sunday bib number 60587. 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Jonzyrun - Welcome to the thread. I think there are more than a few of us this year who have been in a race to get to the start line. Hope to see you at the breakfast run and marathon. Take it easy and you'll get through this one.
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭

PARIS 2017 list

Yellow pen (3:15):
    9672 - Steve Duffy 2
    10207 -  Maccatheknacca
    10705 – nicko1981

Blue Pen (3:30):
    17108 – MattL
    17165 – LloydR
    20620 - Stuchbury
    20621 – Kenno
    20771 – Dean Lucas
    22198 – Mahdu2
    23303 - TT

Purple pen (3:45):
    29172 – Baldstan
    29195 - katrinacritchley
    29451 - Pistol101
    29460 – Yer Maj
    29643 - AspirantRunner
    29691 – Eggyh73
    33449 – ryantilley
    37420 – Bandito27
    39073 – Mandydebs

Green pen (4hr):
    43209 – Nells
    43613 – Hatton2009
    43640 - andrewr123
    43794 - Never Give Up Girl
    43975 - Franz Wanzenboeck
    44052 - Betzza
    44674 – Benign Murmurring
    46770 - Basil Justin Wetters

Grey pen (4:15)

60587 - Jonzygon
    63577 – EHN
    63796 – 1992km
    64520 – Running Rodent

Pink pen (4:30+):
    68714 – Tired Legs
    69792 – Kirsten B
    68965 – RoddyMac
    73942 – FRG2
    75540 - katey
    75874 – Pancake2

To find your number/pen - log in to your ASO account - http://www.asochallenges.com/,
    there is a large red box to the left of the screen, click 'my order' and your details are there. You should be able to change your pen on the day if required. Someone will post on the forum when the Convocation (a piece of paper that you HAVE to take with you to the Expo) is ready to download, normally a couple of weeks before the race.

• Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    OK, so it looks like it's going to be a hot one, so, some thoughts on hot weather running:

- light coloured clothing is cooler than dark - a white hat or visor in particular will reflect heat, a dark one will absorb it.
    - there will be sponge stations with water troughs on the way round. A scarf or buff that you can soak with cold water is a good idea.
    - Just because it's hot don't go swigging gallons of water, especially slower runners who will be out for a while. Over hydration can be more serious than dehydration. Drink to thirst. If you're fantasising about cold beers, you're thirsty. If you can feel water sloshing around in your stomach, you don't need any more for a while.
    - make sure you're properly hydrated the day before as well. Carry a bottle of water with you all day. Your pee should be pale yellow. 
    - Consider using electrolyte or salt tablets (e.g. high 5, nuun), before, during and after. This is the one exception I'd say to the 'try nothing new on race day' rule, I've never heard of anyone having issues with these, they shouldn't upset your system. But read the label re dosage.
    - Waterproof sunscreen is best, it won't sweat off. My personal favourite is P20, it really does last all day.
    - If you feel dizzy or unwell, stop. Don't be afraid to ask a marshall/medic for help. Carry your EHIC card with you during the race.
    - Enjoy your runners' tan - white feet, brown legs   B)

• Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    My additional tip is to bring a bottle top with you. They tend to take tops off the water bottles and the water stations are 5Km apart so you'll probably want to run with the bottle which is difficult with no top. It's normally the Vittel bottles so you need the red top (from any sized bottle).

Looking at the temperatures it looks like it's going to be after Midday that it gets hot. Last year people really struggled in the last 6-8 miles. At 11am the Met Office is saying 11C which will be really pleasant, so don't fly around the first half!
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    I'll add to that and say - it's just a race, there will be another one.  Don't risk it by pushing it over the limit to get that PB or goal you've set yourself.
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    kenno said:
    I'll add to that and say - it's just a race, there will be another one.  Don't risk it by pushing it over the limit to get that PB or goal you've set yourself.
    Am i going to need to phone you on the way round to remind you about that!