Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I might try and pick up some salt tablets at the expo. I suffered badly at Copenhagen last year in the heat, but I was an idiot who started off pushing for a time at that one.
  • so just double check as I'm setting of to Paris tonight.

i need 

medical form - check 

convocation - check 

passport - check 

I don't need anything else to start the marathon do I? 

Im in the 4.30 pen 
  • RoddyMacRoddyMac ✭✭✭
    If your flying running kit in hand luggage
  • Should i stay or should i go?
    So as i posted a while back, I've had a horrific virus the last 3 weeks. I'm now finally free of it (turns out i wasn't a week or so ago when i thought i was) and up to a couple of days ago i had resigned myself to the fact that Paris was off.
    But i can't help wondering whether i could still get round in some shape or form.
    Was averaging 40mpw before i got ill and my last long run of 20miles was on Sunday 12th and did that in bang on 3 hours.
    I've managed no more than a 5 mile run once every week for the last 3 weeks, just testing to see if i was better, so essentially nothing.
    The virus has left me pretty wiped me out, but the bit of my brain that says 'oh s*d it just go and see what happens', is coming back to life and arguing with the bit that says 'take it easy and make sure you properly recover'.
    I've only run one marathon before and training and tapering went well for that, so finding it really hard to judge whether i could still enjoy it and get round, or whether i'd be mad to try as i'm more likely to end up injured/really run down.
    Anyone found themselves in a similar position before and can advise on how it went?
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Pistol101 said:
    kenno said:
    I'll add to that and say - it's just a race, there will be another one.  Don't risk it by pushing it over the limit to get that PB or goal you've set yourself.
    Am i going to need to phone you on the way round to remind you about that!

Probably  :D although I'll probably ignore you!
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    RoddyMac said:
    If your flying running kit in hand luggage
    Yes yes yes!  Someone last year had their bags delayed and didn't turn up in time for the race.  Luckily someone had some spare kit but the shoes were 0.5 size too small.  If your handbagage is too small, wear your shoes!  You can afford to lose your other shoes but not your running shoes.
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Should i stay or should i go?
    So as i posted a while back, I've had a horrific virus the last 3 weeks. I'm now finally free of it (turns out i wasn't a week or so ago when i thought i was) and up to a couple of days ago i had resigned myself to the fact that Paris was off.
    But i can't help wondering whether i could still get round in some shape or form.
    Was averaging 40mpw before i got ill and my last long run of 20miles was on Sunday 12th and did that in bang on 3 hours.
    I've managed no more than a 5 mile run once every week for the last 3 weeks, just testing to see if i was better, so essentially nothing.
    The virus has left me pretty wiped me out, but the bit of my brain that says 'oh s*d it just go and see what happens', is coming back to life and arguing with the bit that says 'take it easy and make sure you properly recover'.
    I've only run one marathon before and training and tapering went well for that, so finding it really hard to judge whether i could still enjoy it and get round, or whether i'd be mad to try as i'm more likely to end up injured/really run down.
    Anyone found themselves in a similar position before and can advise on how it went?
    I've never been in that situation, but I'd be inclined to say come over and run it at a nice slow pace and enjoy the atmosphere.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    sparkybythesea - Taking it that you are in fact free of the virus, worth checking your heart rate to see if it's at normal levels, I'd say you'd be fine to turn up and run Paris.

Gregory - That's the correct items to take with you to the expo to collect your bib. Roddy's spot on. Always best to carry your running kit in the hand luggage. Anything else can go in the checked luggage.
  • My 2nd and last 5k today. Still taped up with KT. ok, things to do. Have my last hot tub soak prior to hotel showers. Trim nails. Book taxi for Thursday morning trip to rail station. Re-pack case. Put running shoes in last years Paris ruck sack with nibbles. High 5 go faster gels etc, and an empty 500ml plastic bottle to top up with high 5 for the Pink Pen.
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Another tip for the start (for the men) - take a water bottle into the pen to pee into just before you start.  You may think it's a big disgusting now, trust me though, when you are in the pen you'll understand.
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    I'm feeling so anxious. I felt tired still last night so I now haven't run for seven days (I have swam) but the stomach bug has definitely gone now. I think I was tired after a long work day and generally not feeling the running love. I've taken tapering too far. 

Just on chaffing ... when I run in a vest past about 13 miles it does run the underside of my arms. Should I smother in Vaseline or would a strip of KT tape work just where it runs? I can't test either at this point.
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    katey - I smother the tops of my arms with either vaseline or bodyglide (I have a good set of batwings on me) and that seems to get me through unharmed most of the time. I recall that another runner on here who will be out supporting this year always takes a chunk of bodyglide wrapped in foil or cling film in her gel belt bag in case she needs a top up along the way, so you could try that if you're worried and you've got room for it? Maybe one of those little lip gloss pots of vaseline (though some of them can be very frustrating to get open at the best of times, so make sure it's one that opens easily or it could be what drives you over the edge!).

I've never tried KT tape so can't tell you if that's any help sorry!
  • Hi Katey, Once KT tape is applied its on for about 5 days. It sticks much tighter than a plaster and would damage the sensitive under arm area when you (try) to take it off. Go for Vaseline.
  • That is a brilliant idea about taking the bottle top with you on the day - might even 'splash' out on a Vittel sports bottle tomorrow and take the top off that. Thanks Pistol101!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    On that suggestion, never pick up what looks like a full sports drink bottle in the starting pens!
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    There are urinals in the start pens of course, but if your preference is a water bottle...
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    and if you're a girl you can just use the poncho or plastic bag to keep warm as a disguise to go pee in the pen :)
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    On the topic of bottles for the blokes in the starting pens, go for one with a slightly bigger neck - like Powerade. This is not for the bragging factor but a smaller bottle can cause problems with 'blow back' if the seal is too good. 
    The last thing you want is drippy legs that chafe early on. 

Also, don't just get your chuckle buddy out to pee. Tuck the bottle up the leg of your shorts, for decency.  :)
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    You must be posh Orbutt  :p
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Sparky ; I'd be inclined to come if your heart rate is back to normal and just enjoy it. My first Paris was a tourist race of singing,  dancing etc.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    That's hilarious Kenno! 
  • Thanks for the encouragement folks, i'm going to head out this morning and do a gentle 5-10, to see how things are and make sure my heart rate is where it should be. (although presumably i shouldn't expect the same pace<>HR ratio as i had 3 weeks ago.)
    Then it really is decision time as my train leaves in about 24 hours......
  • Well I'm now on the first leg of my journey. Next stop St. Pancras, then Eurostar. Sun cream packed for Sunday. It appears to be even warmer than Paris 2016. I suffered badly then. There was a family picnicking on the side of the wooded area around mile 20. They had connected a hose to a water pipe and they were good enough to cool my aching legs down for a few minutes. I'll look out for them again hoping not having to stop this time.
  • EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Can anyone remember the temp. 2016 was...just want to try and gauge Sunday in my head. Though I won't have a thermal on under my BCRC vest this time !! 

• Can understand why you wore a thermal EHN, it can be pretty cool in the shadow side of the pens. Im sure it was 21 and too warm for me. Lots of my training miles were early morning and late evening when the temp is really good for LSR's. On Eurostar heading for Paris. OMG, more pain to look forward to.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Looks like it's not going to get to the hottest part of the day until about 3/4PM according to Meteo Blue; might be a nice temperature for the start but those end few miles are going to be warm! Definitely a day for vest top, suncream and running hat.

Hope you're all starting to cram the carbs in and staying rested. Picked up a bit of a cold after my day in the sun at the weekend, last couple of runs have been horrible after a really good race pace one on Sunday, but will put that down to the slight illness which will hopefully be cleared by tomorrow.

Anyone else struggling to get the Medical Certificate done? I've had some issues with registering for a new surgery so if it doesn't come through by today, it's forgery time!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Eggyh73 said:
    ***** Saturday evening meal reminder *****

The restaurant for the meal has been booked. Due to the numbers we’re back at PastaPapa, which has been used for a few years now. They’re a chain Italian restaurant, with typical pasta and pizza options. We have 54 people attending this year. Here are the details for the meal. I’ll post this information again closer to the race.

Date: April 8th

Time: 5:30pm (meet-up near the restaurant)

Location: PastaPapa, 1 bis Rue Jean Mermoz, 75008 Paris, France

Meet-up Point: Area next to the Franklin D. Roosevelt Metro Station.

If possible please bring cash to pay for the meal, as it makes it easier for the staff when dealing with such a large group. Unfortunately their website is down just now, but typical prices from memory are around 15 euros for a main course. The food and drink prices are fairly standard for Paris.

Reminder about the meal on Saturday.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Eggyh73 said:
    ***** Saturday evening meal reminder *****

The restaurant for the meal has been booked. Due to the numbers we’re back at PastaPapa, which has been used for a few years now. They’re a chain Italian restaurant, with typical pasta and pizza options. We have 54 people attending this year. Here are the details for the meal. I’ll post this information again closer to the race.

Date: April 8th

Time: 5:30pm (meet-up near the restaurant)

Location: PastaPapa, 1 bis Rue Jean Mermoz, 75008 Paris, France

Meet-up Point: Area next to the Franklin D. Roosevelt Metro Station.

If possible please bring cash to pay for the meal, as it makes it easier for the staff when dealing with such a large group. Unfortunately their website is down just now, but typical prices from memory are around 15 euros for a main course. The food and drink prices are fairly standard for Paris.

Reminder about the meal on Saturday.
    Eggyh73 said:
    ***** Sunday night pub reminder *****

Sunday night post marathons celebrations will be at the Frog Revolution Pun in Bastille this year. Everybody welcome. Come and join the fun and show off your finishers t-shirt and medal. They serve food for those interested, apparently the burgers are good.

Venue:
    Frog Revolution 9
    rue de la Bastille

How to get there:
    Metro Bastille.
    Follow, Sortie (Exit) 7 - Place des Vosges
    Next to the Hippopotamus Restaurant

The upstairs bar is reserved for BCRC/RW. The place is booked from 5pm onwards.

And the most important part, the pub on Sunday night.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Eggyh73 said:
    I might try and pick up some salt tablets at the expo. I suffered badly at Copenhagen last year in the heat, but I was an idiot who started off pushing for a time at that one.
    Eggy do you want me to bring you some saltstick tablets?  I've got plenty and I find they really help