Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Hopefully a rest will help Kenno, I know Paris wasn't the race you wanted it to be. 

I've looked at Amsterdam (too much out and back alongside other runners for me) and Stockholm (all new course for 2018) and Copenhagen (a bit hilly, twisty) but none have the appeal of Paris for me. 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call Copenhagen hilly. The route is flatter than Paris. One thing I'll give them is the quality of the event t-shirt is by far and away the best I've ever gotten.

If you want to avoid seeing streams of other runners Amsterdam isn't great, as the out and back section along the river Amstel is basically a never ending stream of people going up one side and down the other. It's as fast, flat course though.

If you want the old Olympic Stadium finish that Amsterdam has, then Stockholm has the very same type of finish.

All three of those events are good sized, but certainly dwarfed by the likes of Paris.
  • Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Lyon would be a nice one. I did the half last year, and I think the full would be good. Same organisers as Paris, but much smaller, and a beautiful city (with great food). The half was pancake flat, I think the full would be too.
  • akelaakela ✭✭
    Sounds like you are going for a Paris rerun Katey. I still can't believe I signed up. Will be a massive challenge as I am only at 5 miles at the minute. 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    akela - Paris is a great place to run your first marathon. You've got plenty of time to build yourself up for next spring.
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    I think Paris is calling again next year, I've got longer to train and a better idea of what I need to do! I will do the London ballot too of course but don't hold out any hope - it will be my 7th consecutive ballot entry.
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    *akela* I still consider 5 miles quite a long run! 
  • EHNEHN ✭✭✭
    Amsterdam sold to the two ladies (Tired Legs and myself)..it is the hope/incentive that unlike previous years I might manage to run during the months of May>>October and not just focus on poor eating and a slovenly lifestyle. Like you Katey I will try London ballot but hear Paris calling me
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking at Abingdon in October, although it would appear a few people are in for the Beachy Head Marathon which is a week later.

I'll do the London Ballot - i'd imagine there will be a two week gap again next year, so doing both is possible if you get pulled out.
  • Great to hear so many of you had such a good race! It was a fantastic day wasn't it!? Since getting back to the UK I've signed up for the Liverpool Rock & Roll Marathon and for Paris 2018! Even went out and bought myself a nice new GPS watch (Garmin Forerunner 235) as a post-marathon treat!! .....i think it's safe to say i've been well and truly bitten by the marathon bug!!
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Pistol the Beachy Head marathon starts on our doorstep but there is no way I fancy those hills - a lot of my training runs started from the start point of the Beachy Head marathon but running in the opposite direction! My husband is doing it though this year - he has his 10km PB at the Beachy Head 10km and likes the hills - nutter!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Beachy is getting some love as it's lined up to be a certain Paris regulars 100th marathon.
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    EHN your comment about a slovenly summer lifestyle made me smile and check Amsterdam again, for some reason I thought it was a March one. I can't do an autumn marathon as my husband is (and with childcare we can't both fit in long slow runs at the same time so when we decided 2017 would be our first marathons we agreed to stagger them).

But ... I can do a half! And the half is flat (criteria one) and doesn't loop back on other runners (criteria two) so I'm in, just need to check if my husband wants to run it with me (if we can get childcare).  
  • EHNEHN ✭✭✭
      Fantastic Katey...my added criteria was can I get an early Monday flight back ..yes 0730hrs land LCY...0800hrs at my desk (positivity is reigning!!) 
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    We flew into Amsterdam Saturday morning and flew home Sunday evening. 
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    I think that is what we will do looking at flights Kenno. If you are done with marathons for a bit does a half not take your fancy?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Katey - I'm Holland based so if you need any Amsterdam help - feel free to send me a PM
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    I may do a half Katey. I'm looking for a new challenge though. I like running PBs and doing different things. I'll get my running PBs lower by losing some wood which I'm going to focus on and put the racing to one side for now. I'll be back just don't know when. 
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed Beachy Head last year, even though I still bear the scars from managing to trip up on one of the few sections of flat road. Very friendly race, fantastic volunteers at the aid stations, and some great views. You can even have a shower afterwards. johnjrp01's youtube videos give you a very good idea what it's like. Definitely one to walk-run, unless you're really flying.
  •   Thanks Eggyh73 Stockholm it will be for me next year with New York even if I have to go with sports tours for New York. Amsterdam was a fantastic weekend for me and the Mrs last year with lots to do and a very flat Marathon as for the runners going the other way it is on the other side of the river so they are not close to you and they did have entertainment on the river also. I went early Friday morning and came back Sunday evening and got a pb, All in all a great weekend.

Kenno- I am doing the Yorkshire and the Birmingham marathons in October only a week apart if you fancy any of these. They have also changed the Birmingham one to make it a lot flatter which helps.

• SmudgerncfcSmudgerncfc ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Yes Katey, out of all of the Marathon's that I am doing this year the Uganda one certainly offers something interesting and unique. It will be an adventure that is out of my comfort zone and I am looking forward to getting all of my plans finalised. I am going to do the Gorilla Safari (7th Day add on, and I am then looking at doing some further Safari in Uganda, Kenya (possibly) and South Africa, before spending a few days in Cape Town, doing a Shark trip if I am feeling brave enough, maybe visiting the local vineyards and doing the Mandela sites. Then possibly flying back via Dubai and spending a few nights there.

Thank you Baldstan, my bib number for London is 22806.

Me and Chris should probably be at the Expo about 10:30am on Saturday and will more than likely have a couple of hours to kill once getting away from there. We are then heading to Wembley to watch the Cup Semi (Chelsea v Tottenham), so hopefully that will be settled in normal time and we can be back in the East End shortly after 8pm and get a decent feed (unless deciding to do that at the LDO while the crowds clear after the game).  We both should be finished within 4 hours fingers crossed on the Sunday and I believe that Jimbob's plan was to meet at a pub on Whitehall before heading down to Southbank later in the afternoon.

I'll let you know what we get up to. 

Nice one Ben Peachey, there are a few of us heading to Liverpool this year and Orbutt and Mrs Orbutt are lucky enough to live there of course. Will be nice to meet you up there. 

Would love to do Beachy, as it is one that is on my list to tick off but it is the week before New York and following NYC comes my 10th of the year in Uganda just 6 days later, so I'll have to stalk you lot who decide to do it and stick to my initial plan of doing either Bournemouth, Leicester or Budapest in October (which are all two or three weeks prior to Beachy).

I will not be entering the London Ballot next year, my current plans are to run an Autumn Marathon only and have a rest in the Spring (although that may change later in the year).  Autumn Marathons I have my eye on could be
    Loch Ness or Bournemouth (if I decide against running it this year), alternatively if I head outside of the UK, then I am looking at Moscow, Warsaw,
    Italian Marathon Memorial Enzo Ferrari (because it is almost all downhill), Budapest (if I don't run it this year), Dublin. They are looking most likely!

I think that Copenhagen looks interesting though and I am going to check that out further.  

Stockholm is currently two laps isn't it?  That is what has currently put me off running there.  If they are changing the course there, then does anyone know if their plans involve changing it to a one lap course?  

Another place I might be interested in running is Kosice (but again being a two lap course it puts me off).

The next time that I run a Spring Marathon in Europe then I would like to run Rome above any other.

Others that interest me are Geneva, Prague, Krakow http://www.zis.krakow.pl/16th-pzu-cracovia-marathon
    Helsinki and Athens.

• kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Wow that is quite a list Smudge!

Stockholm changes in 2018. It is still the two lap course this year and then changes:

The exact course is still secret but runners’ favourite parts such as the waterfronts of Strandvägen, Norr Mälarstrand, past the City Hall, over Skeppsbron and Västerbron bridges will remain. Amongst other things, a longer stretch around Södermalm will be added and a new section on Kungsholmen. Possibly the least favourite part – the tour of Gärdet and out around Kaknästornet TV tower – will disappear. The new course will not be two laps, which will give considerably more variation. 
  • 1992km1992km ✭✭✭
    Has anyone run the Berlin Marathon? How does it compare to Paris in terms of organisation, as flat, crowds, water stops?

Slinkyminky, LeggyMountbatten, chris 1875, Smudgerncfc, baldstan, are you using any other forums for it?
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Berlin is pancake flat, certainly flatter than Paris. Organisation is as good if not better than Paris.

The only downside to Berlin as a race for me was that other than the start and finish areas the course isn't particularly interesting. The finish through the gate is special though.

They did freak me out as you have to order a finishers tshirt at extra cost, which they give you at the expo. It was a crappy cotton tshirt too.
  • Ive done the Berlin 3 times. I agree with eggy ref the t-shirt except the green 2015 was of decent quality. I prefer the Berlin over Paris for several reasons. I prefer their Metro system. I prefer their hotels. The Brandenburg Tor is an iconic area for the start and finish. The bag drop area for drop off and pick up is less stressful. The new location for the Expo is not as easy to get to compared to the former "Berlin Tempelhof Airport" since taken over to house refugees. I like the Berlin so much that although I missed out on the ballot, I hope to get a late "Gold Bond Charity" bib for September. Ich bin laufen Berlin.
  • I've been considering Amsterdam after missing out on Paris, they also do their own version of a breakfast run which looks quite good, but I'm registered for the Yorkshire marathon again a week before, so I'm currently trying to work out if I can manage 2 in a week?
  • On the way out of the bag drop area etc, there were 2 photographers set up taking 'free photographs' of runners. Runners were queuing up so I joined in. If you had yours taken would you know where to find them on line?
  • Hi, you all don't know me but you have all helped me more than you know!! Paris was my second marathon (the 1st one 2.5 years ago wasn't pretty) and I had a score to settle. I did 3:59:31 last Sunday and I'm still buzzing!!! I'm responding to Fred Mercury's post - search the Isostar FB page, after several hours of trying to find out who the photographers were I eventually found my finishers photo. HTHs x
  • 1992km1992km ✭✭✭
    thanks Eggy and Fred. I guess you get a medal or something? I will look at the route again and identify some points of interest. 

It is a great city, looking forward to revisiting. 
  • Well done on the sub 4 Jo and thanks for the tip off.  I eventually found my photo but sadly my eyes are closed :D
    Anyway, signed up for next year.