Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• Hi guys, 

just some news on the man getting CPR down the river embankment, happy to tell you all he survived.

the women who was giving CPR was a New Zealand nurse, who then went on to finish the marathon. 

Will post more info when I get it.
  • Paris marathon medals are rubbish compared to Berlin and London. True!
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Paris marathon medals are rubbish compared to Berlin and London. True!
    They're made from recycled metal. Don't know about London or Berlin. 
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    I really like the Paris medal! I wasn't impressed with my Hastings Half brass though ... ribbon should be a requirement.

So this time last week I'd just run a marathon, today my biggest achievement is eating a whole Easter egg already (it was only a small one ...).

Can anyone who has done Amsterdam tell me if you can collect your race number on the day. I read something that seemed to imply you could but I'm not sure whether to risk it. They have helpfully given me the advice that they will give me the information nearer the time but I need to work out flights and I don't know whether to go for a Saturday evening one which won't get there until after the expo will have shut. The half doesn't start until 1.30pm so I think I should be able to get it that morning ...
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    I remember someone in our group collected it first thing Sunday morning for the marathon ok
  • 1992km there is another forum on here for Berlin, but I am not sure that it will be the same as this place. I have only just posted on there, so I couldn't really comment atm.  I hope that like here, a few of us will meet others who are doing Berlin through chatting online initially too though.

Thank you Gregory Curtis2, that is extremely welcome news about the person receiving CPR in Paris last weekend.
  • Boston Marathon _ Live Streaming - watch live.baa.org
  • It appears that the link is showing Boston 2016. Went surfing to find 2017 and found it by accident. It's a WBZ channel on iso. Wave 4 at 1617hrs our time. Happy viewing.
  • 1992km1992km ✭✭✭
    Thanks. The search function isn't great for the forums, what is the name of it? I've tried Berlin marathon and Berlin marathon 2017 but hadn't found it.

> @Smudgerncfc said:
    > 1992km there is another forum on here for Berlin, but I am not sure that it will be the same as this place. I have only just posted on there, so I couldn't really comment atm.  I hope that like here, a few of us will meet others who are doing Berlin through chatting online initially too though.
    >
    >
    > Thank you Gregory Curtis2, that is extremely welcome news about the person receiving CPR in Paris last weekend.
  • 1992km It appears that they only have Berlin Marathon threads for 2016 and previous years at the minute. A bit too soon perhaps?

Shall we start one?
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Lights need turning out on this one soon and the next one starting. 
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Sad seeing the Arc de Triomphe on the news tonight. Who had the pictures that were taken at the start, I don't think I've seen any posted?
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I've got some from the meal, but not the Arc. I'll ask around and see if I can find one and post it here.

Sad turn of events in Paris this evening. 
  • Yes, very sad to see the Champs Elysées in the news for all the wrong reasons. Although I fear they were expecting something, I had my bag searched on the way into shops on the marathon weekend.
  • Hi all,

I am am new to this forum, but need to post my review of this year's Paris Marathon as a warning to potential future participants. I have run 80+ marathons, including all 50 U.S. states and nine countries, and my Paris experience was the worst I've ever had. The inconsiderate manner in which I was treated by the race organization, both on race day and afterwards, has made it necessary to me to post this and spread the word. Here is the review, which is also posted on MarathonGuide.com...

Okay course, good crowd support, but no sports drink except at one spot. I've run over 80 marathons and have never seen that before. 

<span>My biggest problem was the organization's complete disregard and apathetic approach to my unfortunate experience of having my bib stolen after the expo was closed on Saturday. I know - technically my fault for not securing it better and technically they don't have to do anything - but given the circumstances and the fact that I paid over $1,000 in travel expenses to run their race, you'd think someone would be willing to do SOMETHING if I show ID and proof of registration. Wrong! I was treated like some random guy who was trying to bandit the race and coming up with a story to be allowed in. </span>

<span>I started by contacting the race organizers that night to see what I should do. No response. Understandable considering it was late. On race morning I go to the start area two hours early thinking I could explain my situation, showing my ID and proof of registration on my phone. I speak to no fewer than five different people, each of whom tells me there's nothing they can do, and upon my insistence on speaking with someone 'in charge,' each one sends me to someone else. Finally at the race headquarters I am told to just run without a bib, but I'm not allowed in the start corrals so I start on the sidewalk next to the start line. I had to then run carrying the bag I had planned to check, because without a race number and with nobody helping me, I couldn't check the bag, and with all the time spent being sent to different people I had no time to return to my hotel. I ran the race, not really enjoying it because at any moment an official can pull me from the course for not having a bib. I got through it, and right before the finish I am stopped by a race official asking where my bib is, so I had to stop and take out my phone and ID to show him, and he reluctantly lets me cross the finish and get my medal. </span>

<span>I had run the entire course, with digital proof from my Garmin watch and with video coverage everywhere. I figured that after the race day craziness was over the organizers would be able to take the time to evaluate the situation and at least list me as an official finisher. My time was mediocre, didn't even care if it was listed correctly, just asked them to have me as an official finisher so I can get credit for Marathon Globetrotters. I emailed them with this request, including the Garmin Connect data and a description of what I was wearing so they could find me on the video at the specific time I told them. So much for that idea. After a three-paragraph long explanation of my situation, I get literally a ONE SENTENCE email back saying that 'since you didn't have a bib and didn't cross the start line, you aren't a finisher.' </span>

<span>Of course, technically, they did not HAVE to do anything, but this kind of treatment is not what I'm used to in the running community. This has not happened to me before so I can't say for sure how other races would handle it, but it certainly made me never want to run Paris again.</span>
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Ckboundy. Sounds like a real nightmare but I'm not sure what they could have done under the circumstances. 
    They couldn't list you as a finisher because you didn't have a timing chip. 
    I doubt any other big city marathon would have done anything differently. 
    At least you got to run, I'm sure other marathons would have stopped or ejected you. 

• Thanks Orbutt for your comment. I agree that there might not be much they can do after the race, although I did run a half in NYC (huge race, same organizers as NYC Marathon) where my chip malfunctioned and they listed my time based on Garmin and video results. Anyway my biggest problem, which I have let them know, is how they handled my situation before the race. Most big races have no race day bib policies, but from my experience most of them will work with runners if they have an extenuating circumstance. I've seen plenty of races where you can let them know that your flight is going to be late or something else came up and you can't make it to the expo, and they'll work with you. In my case I WENT to the expo and my bib was stolen (pickpocketed) on the metro on the way back to my hotel, and the expo had already closed. They didn't reply to my email that night, and when I went to the start early the next morning and showed them ID and proof that I was registered and had gone to the expo, the response was very indifferent, as if nobody has ever had this problem before or cared. Were there really NO unassigned bibs? NOTHING they could do? I find that hard to believe. I know, it was my technically my fault and they were within their rights to not help me, but I was just surprised considering how other races are more hospitable and accommodating. They bill themselves as an international race destination, and they get runners from all over the world, so you would think they would want to make a better impression.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Ckboundy did you check the race results to see if someone ran as you? 

I can't see that they would have unassigned bibs, as the race sold out months ago.
    Also, the timing chip is built into the bib and that would need to be assigned to the new runner. On the morning of the race,  I couldn't see any big race doing this.

I can understand your frustration at losing you bib but I don't see that they could have done anything for you on race day. 

I've run Paris 4 times and I've had dealings with the organising team, prior to the event, and they've always been superb in helping me. 

I'll be be honest with you, to join a forum with the sole purpose of trying to put people off the event when you have lost your bib - which you admit is your fault - is in my opinion poor form.

Sorry if it's not the response you were expecting. 

Good luck with your future events. 
  • Thank you, and I respect your opinion. My post was out of frustration with having this happen and having what seemed to be no real effort made to help me before or after the race. Obviously your experience with them has been more extensive and more positive. I did check for my bib number and it did not come up. My bib was in the side pocket of the bag they gave me at the expo, which I stupidly put there so the chip wouldn't get crushed by other stuff in the bag. I don't see how it would have just fallen out between the expo and my hotel, but I don't know for sure. I was tired and jetlagged, but yes, still my fault. Again, I just didn't expect that in a situation like that there is literally nothing that can be done. I've never had this exact situation before, but I know plenty of other races where the organizers make at least some accommodation for runners with extenuating last-minute circumstances. I emailed them acknowledging my mistake and explained my situation in detail, and all of their responses were very short and provided no explanation or sympathy. Seemed like they thought I was lying and trying to get scheme my way into getting something I didn't earn, even though I was very polite and offered every piece of evidence I could think of that I was a registered runner and that I did run the whole race. Anyway, lesson learned, and I apologize if anyone was personally offended by my post.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Ckbounty: sorry to hear about your bad day but I don't see what the organisation could have done differently.  For a big city marathon they were gracious to let you finish and run without a bib! 

I'd email them with your garmin and information but they're under no obligation to add you or make any changes. 

I've run over 200 races (including 113 marathons) and I don't think Paris have acted in anyway that would negate a future entry from me. 

Good luck with the future events and hopefully see you in Paris. 

If you're a 50 state runner, I'm guessing you're a maniac? 
  • Thanks Emmi. I did email them with the Garmin result and every other imaginable piece of evidence they might want to prove that I wasn't making this up. I politely explained everything in detail and acknowledged, as you said, that they are of course not obligated to do anything. Their response was one sentence long and basically said "no bib, no chip, so no result. I guess you're right in saying other big city races would likely be the same, but my experience with races in general is that they at least try to accommodate last minute bib problems if the person proves registration. I don't even think they read my whole email, or it may have been someone who didn't read English well and didn't bother to have someone else read it. Oh well, lesson learned.

Yes, I am a Maniac (5144) and a Globetrotter. Paris was #83 and country #9, but since I'm not officially listed as a finisher, I have to ask the Globetrotter people if it can still count. If I lived in the U.K. I'd probably do Paris again, but not worth it for me with so many other places left to run.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    You'll have it in your list and memories (and your garmin!).  I'm really sorry that you didn't have the experience that you hoped for and it was absolutely rotten luck to have what happened,  happened. 

Good luck for the future and the rest of your journey! 
  • Thank you, and I apologize again if I violated any forum etiquette.
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Ckbounty that sounds an absolute nightmare. Have you tried claiming on your travel insurance?

It doesn't surprise me that they wouldn't replace the bib on the morning. Having just volunteered at London and seen the sheer number of people involved it would have been very difficult to find someone who could make the decision to let you run. France is unusual in that they need your medical certificate for their insurance and like most events they don't digitally register you when you collect your numbers. It would have been very difficult to join the dots. You did well to get round and still get a medal.
  • CKBoundy - sorry to hear you had a shocker. Losing the bib after the expo closes is a total nightmare. Having flown across the pond, spent $$$$s it's turned into a bit of a horror story. Like the other's have said, the very big races won't replace your bibs on race day if you lose it, and they all seem to say no chip no time somewhere in their final instructions brochures. The last couple of years I've been stateside for Boston and New York marathons and they are very strict with all that sort of stuff. Some shorter distance races do replace bibs on race day.

If you ever come over again look up the Paris thread , we go over in a large group, we always have lots of good advice, attend the expo in groups. Meet ups pre and post race drinks etc 

Good luck getting up to 100 marathons!  
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    ckboundy - Sorry to hear about your experience in Paris. 

I know in previous years people have had the timing chip malfunction during the race and after contacting the organisers they've been listed as finishing, using the course cameras to check. I think the difference is they had the chip/bib and it did record their start and first few time mat crossings, as well as the bib number that could be identified at various points in the course. 

From the organisers side not having that start time could be a real complication, as I'm sure they'd be very wary of entirely trusting a runners own data. I can understand their issue in trying to justify awarding a finish and time with no chip times and no bib number to try and use as evidence.

I don't know if you know anyone fluent in French that might be able to assist you. I think with an issue like this it would possibly be better for presenting your argument in their language with someone who could maybe reason with them that way.

Best of luck with your future endeavours. 
  • Thank you everyone for the advice and support. Pistol - I did not use travel insurance but that would have been a good idea. With all of your comments I realize that my criticism of the organization was a bit harsh. Getting a one sentence "too bad" response to a three paragraph email is very frustrating, but that may have been a language barrier issue. What they said is that they are "forbidden" to add me as a finisher. Anyway I should be grateful to have finished and gotten a medal. I have seen marathons make race day accommodations for people, but mostly medium sized or small events. Maybe Marathon Globetotters will be flexible and let the race count toward the 10 countries needed to join (France should have been 9). Either way I still got to finish which I'm lucky for.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Ckboundy, I was going to suggest trying to prove your completion to Marathon Globetrotters.
    Can you find yourself on the timing mat photos and videos? That may help. 
    Good luck. 
  • Ckboundy - on the bright side, if you kept a copy of your medical certificate and do find yourself in France again this year, you can use the same one without having to see your doctor again, it's valid for 12 months.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Ckboundy -  I know it's no consolation, but I ran Comrades with a fellow who left his timing chip in his hotel room.  Had his bib on, is in the photos ec -  but not recorded as a finisher.  He went to South Africa from the UK for the race.