Tapering with an injury.

I am due to run the Prague marathon in under three weeks time. I have done all the hard work ie. my last three long runs were 20, 21 and 22. Unfortunately, I have developed plantar fasciitis (I'm pretty sure that's what it is, as I have had it once before). As a result it will be difficult for me taper as I had planned. I'm now wondering if I should rest completely until the race day or attempt a taper of some type or whether to run it at all. How much fitness am I likely to lose if I do no running  between now and the race? Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

Comments

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    You've done the hard bit and built the endurance. Without knowing your time goals and background, my view would be not to increase the chances of the PF totally scuppering running in an overseas marathon and cease (if you resist) running. A chap on the sub3 forum had PF, ran an average 13 mpw pre-marathon but did lots of cycling to maintain his endurance and fitness and ran 2.59 in the hot 2007 FLM - he was a 2.45 man. You may lose a small % of fitness but cycling (at a good tempo) should maintain your endurance and speed.
  • oldscotiaoldscotia ✭✭✭

Thanks for that. I have been doing an average of 42mpw. My goals are modest, sub 4 is my aim. I have done many marathons, my recent times have been around 3:50. But I should mention I'm seventy. Cross training sounds as if it might be the best option.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    I am impressed. Rest and cross train well and I look forward to hearing how you did, and how you found Prague, on my (long) list of marathons to run. Injury and tapering is an issue of interest to me as I've missed 6 weeks of training for the London marathon since February all the long runs!. The cross training (I hope)has really helped.