Wearing headphones in races

Comments

• I have been training for the New Forest Marathon using bone conducting headphones as listening to music actual slows and regulates my pace (also I get updates from Garmin as to lap time and average pace). I have not found any problem with the sound quality and if the volume is kept to a reasonable level you can hear everything that goes on around you.

As a side note the New Forest Marathon is sponsored by Aftershhokz, you are allowed headphones on the off road sections, but are permitted bone conduction ones for the entire route. The Southampton Half Marathon I did in April which is closed roads stated that headphones could be used if you were not going for a podium finish.

• Wearing headphones does distance you from your immediate environment: I've scared the crap out of other runners wearing headphones simply by overtaking them when training. And when exactly, did it become vital that we had a soundtrack going the whole time, regardless of what we are doing? 

If you are in a race, concentrate on that, and maybe interact with fellow runners a bit.

• I can understand this policy on races that aren't traffic free, but now races are starting to apply the rule on closed roads and disqualify runners caught with headphones in. Surely the risk is assumed by the individual. I for one won't race without music bubbling away as the sound of footsteps is monotonous.

The comment regarding engage with runners around you, I've been caught by Mr Chatty before during a race - never again.

As for the Brighton incident mentioned. What headphones were they that cancelled out the sound of blues and twos? Or is it another opportune photo that doesn't tell the whole story?

Now I will check policy before entering a race, any mention of disqualifying me then I'll keep my money instead of paying the ever rising entry fees. I don't need their race, but their race needs runners.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

That's fine Stu. Their race doesn't need runners who need headphones and music.

• Then why is it an issue? Why are there forum threads about it?
  • stuebbs- honestly- trying to squeeze past head-phone wearers is difficult and annoying, and the poor marshalls ( especially those on a bike) must get sick of yelling at them- I've spent a lot of time at races fruitlessly trying to warn headphoners about an oncoming hazard- be it bicycle, ambulance, pot hole, or "road furniture"( watching people collide with a bollard at top speed after you've been warned about it is one of the things that brings out my natural tendency to schadenfreude..........I know one shouldn't laugh, but hey!)

As you say- check the policy, and if the most important part of your race day is the music, then don't enter the race. The social interaction on race day is enjoyable for many, I appreciate that not all like it, but at least it distracts from the "monotonous" sound of footsteps!

If Mr Chatty is bothering you, stop and tie your shoelaces, dive behind the bushes for a quick toilet stop, or sprint away from him!

Enjoy your tunes.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    stuebbs wrote (see)
    Then why is it an issue? Why are there forum threads about it?

Go read the threads!

• Seems weird to me, but I wonder where the rules stand on those...?

• 'However, we have listened to you and there is no specific rule from RunBritain other than headphones are banned in championship races. 
    Anyone who is not running for a prize is now allowed to wear headphones.

If you do wear headphones PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be considerate to your fellow runners.'

http://www.greatermanchestermarathon.com/athlete-info/general-info/

• "However, we have listened to you ... "

Well yes, because people wearing headphones tend to shout :)
  • Get a small speaker to blast out your questionable tastes in music. This bypasses the no headphones rule. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Really, the flouting of rules about head phones in races by those who know full well it's against the rules, are simply revealing the sort of characters they have.
    By their actions we know them. 
    Music is a side issue to the fact that these people are prepared to break rules in the face of those who stick to them. Lets expand that. The rule breakers are quite likely to be cheats and stroke pullers, it's look out for number one, and at your expense. 
    Yes they are only wearing headphones, it's not actually illegal. But neither is masturbation. Do that in a race and see what happens.

🙂

• Nice to see that this thread is still generating a bit of noise :)
    For those campaigning for the unrestricted right to wear headphones in a race I would simply ask you to volunteer to complete the Risk Assessment that any Race Director has to do, sign off on it, and assume personal liability for any accident that ensues - see pages 10-14 of the RunBritain Road Race Handbook
    Simples..............
  • Wearing headphones is against the rules in ALL UKA licensed races. See the rulebook RULE 240 S 5 UKA SUPPLEMENT – HEADPHONES  Bone conducting headphones are OK (subsequent amendment).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Dirk - that's what I thought too re UKA races.    I really didn't understand the posting above from Manchester Marathon.
  • Wearing headphones is against the rules in ALL UKA licensed races. See the rulebook RULE 240 S 5 UKA SUPPLEMENT – HEADPHONES  Bone conducting headphones are OK (subsequent amendment).
    SHADES said:
    Dirk - that's what I thought too re UKA races.    I really didn't understand the posting above from Manchester Marathon.

There is no rule banning headphones except for the elites who are racing for prizes.

Clearly the rule book has been misinterpreted by some race Directors.

• "My bad"

Manchester are referring to Run Britain rather than UKA perhaps that is where the disparity lies. One organisation saying one thing the other saying something different!

• .Pete Holt said:
    Wearing headphones is against the rules in ALL UKA licensed races. See the rulebook RULE 240 S 5 UKA SUPPLEMENT – HEADPHONES  Bone conducting headphones are OK (subsequent amendment).
    SHADES said:

There is no rule banning headphones except for the elites who are racing for prizes.

Clearly the rule book has been misinterpreted by some race Directors.

Where does it distinguish between elites and the great unwashed?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Pete - RunBritain issue UKA licences, it's the UKA rules that apply.   The first rules came into force I believe either last April or the April before, sorry not sure.    You might want to check?

This is the rule, but I suspect Manchester is run on closed roads?

RULE 240 S 5 UKA SUPPLEMENT – HEADPHONES
    The wearing of headphones, or similar devices, (other than those medically
    prescribed), is not permitted in races on any single carriageway road that is not
    wholly closed to traffic. This restriction does not apply to races held on dual
    carriageways provided that there are clear, structured separations between the
    separate carriageways. Competition Providers of races held entirely on roads
    closed to traffic may apply this condition where appropriate to local circumstances
  • 2wheels-good2wheels-good ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ah I see that is a race specific rule for Manchester as it is on closed roads

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure, I haven't run Manchester but from what I can remember of the coverage some roads were single carriageway but only one side marked for runners?   Was there traffic on the other side of the road?
  • Hi shades, roads are closed except for some dual carriageways where the opposite side of the road would remain open.

Reading the rules: - it is clear that there is not a blanket ban of headphones in all races, it is merely those where the single carriageway roads are not entirely closed off.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Pete - I never said there was a blanket ban on headphones but in your post on Feb 14th you said they are only banned from championship races which I knew to be incorrect.

If a race allows headphones that dissuades me from wanting to run that race, IMHO I then consider that race to be a sort of charity fun run.     I hope UKA will put in a blanket ban soon.  Unfortunately we will probably have to wait for a fatality before that happens.
  •  Hi shades, Dirk_Gently (and others) wrote that headphones were banned from all uka events.  Nevertheless, I personally think it is poor form to have the music so loud that you cant hear the surroundings. personally I wear them but keep the volume to half way so that way I can hear my surroundings. the music is something for me to focus on.

:)

• edited February 2017
    I don't believe you can hear your surroundings with the music even half way. You might hear a siren, or a horn, but I defy anyone to hear the breathing or foot strike of a runner catching up, or the rumble of a wheelchair athlete trying to get by. I am with Shades on this... headphones are inconsiderate and inappropriate in a race, and imo, selfish.
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I agree Magna, a runner wearing headphones in a race has the spatial awareness of a brick wall and bad  manners as well.   They miss out on all the race atmosphere and the opportunity to meet, chat and bond with other runners.
    I've been tripped up, almost knocked over by these inconsiderate beginners.    I never speak to runners in a race wearing headphones except to curse at them when they get in the way and if it's in a race where headphones are banned I do tell them that fact, most just shrug and don't care.   If they don't remove the headphones I will report them and have successfully had runners disqualified from races.  What I'm trying to do is preserve our wonderful sport of road racing.
  • i fail to see what the problem is, when running down a road there is plenty of room!! if somebody trips you then it is bad manners and or music too loud. personally i am aware of what is happening around me. having the volume down is no different from the bone conductors.  I do not run marathons for atmosphere i run them to achieve a time target. regards 

• erm... i'd suggest you look at TV coverage of VLM, Paris, NYC and every other major marathon if you think there is plenty of room!.... if I had my way, bone conductors wouldn't be allowed either.... you cannot be 100% aware of what is around you with headphones on, claiming anything else is just ridiculous as there will always be a sound level that is masked.... and besides, who can tell what volume headphones are at?... and as ever, someone will flaunt the rules.... I have seen one too many incidents caused by their use.
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • In a recent race I was running behind a runner whose phone was giving a constant update of the runners pace, mile splits etc. The volume was quite loud and certainly disconcerting and distracting. To me, this seems worse than headphones. A bit like drivers using hand held mobile phones. I never use headphones myself.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Pete - I'm impressed that you are so considerate when your are running a race with headphones but you are definitely a rarity.  
    The problems caused by runners wearing headphones are much worse in longer races such as a marathon, as the runner tires they have less (or zero) consideration for anyone else.