Blackpool Marathon

The Good: Well organised. Road closures were respected (mostly!); no real worries about mad drivers. Almost-flat route, easy to follow, with two laps of an out-and-back run along the sea-front. Lots of sea air in the lungs.

The So-So: Marshals varied from lovely and supportive as well as efficient to the occasional jobsworth. Shame there was no dedicated marathon T-shirt, just the same one shared by marathon, half and 10k runners. Starting the marathon and the half at the same time might also be worth rethinking, if only to have a few minutes gap to avoid confusion and congestion.

The Not Good: Blackpool population supporting the event was conspicuous by its absence. Holidaymakers mostly indifferent. Local marketing of the event ("Come and support your local event") clearly not working. Maybe everyone was watching the London thingy on the telly. Complete absence of end-of-event activities and sustenance - come to Scotland to see how that's done really well. Dispiriting to arrive after more than 5 hours to a few folk who seemed just to want to go home. Not important but no goodies bag; a T-shirt, a Tower replica and a banana are not a great lift.

Summary: Like a surgical instrument; clean, efficient and functional but soul-less. Those lovely marshals (that's most of them) deserve better. So do the runners. 4/10

Comments

• This was my first ever marathon (3:19:17 - pleased with that image). It was frill-free, there weren't many people around and it had a very low-key vibe, but this made it easier for me to concentrate on my running without too many distractions.

Like Tanconsult, I was a little disappointed that there was one t-shirt for 10k, 1/2 and marathon runners. Also, the water stations didn't seem evenly spread out - I was really struggling for water towards the second half of the race.

In general, I thought it was an ideal event for the beginner marathon runner though I can see why more experienced marathon runners may find it a little underwhelming. 

• Overall I was quite disappointed with this event. Course description of flat was a bit misleading, undulating is closer to the mark. Was pleased with the way the course was marshalled and for that the organisers and marshalls deserve lots of credit. Around the course there was a lack of crowd atmosphere. I wouldn't want to have been a back marker, no crowd support. Was slightly disappointed with the medal and t-shirt, similar priced races offer a goodie back of high quality. I appreciate that this is a local event but it does need a few tweaks here and there..... 5/10
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

i did  the blackpool marathon 3 times    1st  time  back in 2004   it went to lytham st Annes and back   when it became  2  laps   for me  that was boring and hard on the feet 

i sometimes  still visit Blackpool for the day  and come by train

• I did this marathon yesterday. I really enjoyed it, it is an undulating course but it my experience most 'flat' courses are. It is not a big city marathon like London or Manchester but it was friendly and well organised and the course uncrowded. There is some friendly support along the way and some indifference from holiday makers but I wasn't there for that, I wanted a PB which I got by 7 minutes. If you want a big event then go elsewhere but this is a good honest runners marathon which was an enjoyable, well organised and friendly event with PB potential given the right weather then go for it. 
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    i  did    this   race   in  2004/5/6      the   1st   to    it  went   to  st Annes and   back  to bispham   and    back  to  finish