Highland Cross Duathlon 2004

Yo! I've just got my acceptance for this event. Is there anybody else out there going? It's a 50 miler from Kintail to Beauly - that's the west coast of Scotland to the east coast - comprising a 20 mile run and 30 mile cycle. I have to admit to feeling slightly afraid about all this. 20 mile runs I like. A 30 mile cycle is also great - I used to do them by the truckload, but - together, in one go! Panic! Train, train, train on the brain!

Comments

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Hi Angus.

I'm doing this, along with SpeedyG and her hubby.

I've done it twice before - last year and in 2001. It's a fantastic event, and really well organised.

It sounds more daunting than it is (did I really just say that???), because the first 10 miles of the cycle are downhill (some bits more "downhill" than others, if you know what I mean) so you get a while to spin-recover your legs before the hill at Aigas.

The only really tough hill on the run is Alt Granda where you climb 1000ft in about a mile, but it comes after the first 4 miles which are fairly flat-downhill, and there is a bit of flattish ground for a bit afterwards as a recovery.

In saying that, I entered as a walker last year (late replacement, not enough training) and took 8:20ish to complete it. I'm aiming to run it this year, injury and training permitting, so I'm sure it'll seem a lot tougher.
  • Yo Nessie! I hope to see you there then! Our team is called the Heb Hobblers (because we're from the Hebrides and we'll no doubt be hobbling by the time we're finished). This is me, my brother and a friend. I'm getting running tops printed, so you will be able to spot us. Be sure to say hello. I think there's another guy I know going, David Baillie from Inverness, who I was talking to at last year's Great Wilderness Challenge - maybe you know him if you're from that area. I tend to get conflicting reports about the severity of the course. I have just been talking to a guy who says he thought the run was terrible, and another who said it was easy. I guess I'll just have to find out myself. I definitely want to be as fit as I can for it though. It'll make things a whole lot easier.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I've heard the name, Angus, but I don't know David Baillie. I'll keep an eye out for you.

I think the most important thing is to get used to running on rough ground, which I find tough as I have a very small (i.e. non existent) foot lift when running on a flat road. Nice and economical for flat surfaces, but it means lots of tripping and stubbed toes when you are running off road.