Hypothyroidism

I've just found out I have an underactive thyroid, in my case the way I found out is not the usual scenario. You know. The one where someone goes to the GP because they feel exhausted and then find an underactive thyroid in the blood work.

I get routine blood tests done every 6 months because, as a type 1 diabetic, I am considered at risk of other auto immune diseases, hypothyroidism being one of them.

So my question is, how do you approach training after a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?

I'm planning to take some time off anyway while I figure out how thyroxine affects my blood sugar levels. I'll have to establish my baseline diabetes requirements before I can even think about adding training into the mix.

Despite the diagnosis, I'm actually feeling good at the moment! Before getting the phone call from the GP to say I've been prescribed thyroxine, I've been running 3 times a week at a nice, easy conversational pace, with the heart rate monitor. Running performance is holding up nicely. I've also been doing strength training a couple of times a week, and have been seeing improvements in the gym over the weeks and months.

I've booked an appointment with the GP to discuss, because they are going on blood test results alone at present, and I don't actually have any symptoms. Unfortunately, the objective measures (TSH elevated + thyroid antibodies) are suggesting that I have to take the pill.

As a runner, I'm less than happy about the diagnosis given the controversy surrounding thyroid medication and doping, but it is something I may need to accept.

Comments

• Hi futon. I'm a type 2 diabetic, but insulin-dependent, diagnosed in 2007. I was found to have hypothyroidism about four years ago. We're probably lucky as diabetics that we have very regular blood tests that monitor all sorts of things. However, I was alerted to something being very wrong by catastrophic losses of energy in the middle of runs, to the extent that I had to slow down and stop. It was very clear very quickly these episodes were not hypoglycaemic attacks because I knew what those felt like. Don't worry about the doping thing. If you really are low on thyroxin, you will need those tablets or the chances are you won't be able to run at all, or not for long. I hope this is a false alarm for you, of course, because believe me the symptoms are as unpleasant as a diabetic hypo. Despite my problems, I have sub-20 5ks and close to 90-minute half marathons to my name, so it shouldn't affect your ability once you have found the right dose (which can be a bit more hit and miss than using insulin). Hope all goes well.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

I have to say I have no idea how diabetes and an underactive thyroid combine. The endocrine system is complex as various organs work together (or don't with diabetes).

However taking thyroxine is likely to make you feel a lot better! (but not necessarily!) The thyroid normally works with your hypothalamus to regulate your body temperature so the medication should increase your body temperature. A higher body temperature should help you to recover from training quicker, eat more and generally improve your digestive system. So less constipation! But this is all 'generally' because it will affect different people in different ways.

The 'doping' side of it is controversial, but you would have to be a moron to 'dope' without medical assistance. Too much thyroxine is likely to make you ill. You  (someone who needs it) are only artificially providing your body what it should have anyway. You certainly would not stop taking insulin because it is 'doping' although it IS on the banned list! (it is used to promote hunger in endurance athletes to help them eat enough calories!).

You say you have no symptoms but what about body temperature? I would suggest buying a good quality 'tympanic' thermometer (a in your ear one). I use a 'Welch Allyn Braun 4000' (second hand on ebay they are £40 ish) your body temperature should be 36.5C. A low temperature is the main symptom (but you don't have to have one!). I know of people who were 34.5C! If you take thyroxine you should keep your temperature below 36.8C or otherwise keep your levels checked, hence the 6 month blood test! Worth noting how your temperature changes.

There are a LOT of books out there but most are peddling an expensive supplement regime or a certain type of trademarked medication so beware! Your Dr may be able to suggest one that is helpful if you want to learn more.

In short, how the medication will affect you is difficult to predict, but likely to be positive! So don't worry. And were doping is concerned, thyroxine is not on the banned list so don't worry!

• Thanks for the replies, very helpful and informative as always here.

Yes Peter you're absolutely right, we are fortunate to be monitored for such things, and given that diabetics are an at risk group this just makes sense really. It's great to hear you are able to put the diabetes and hypothyroidism to one side and put in those kind of performances!

With respect to insulin, I find that running and exercise in general has improved my sensitivity to it, partially as a result of weight loss, which is very much a positive. It is fair to say that even us type 1's aren't immune to finding ourselves overweight at some point in life!

I've been to the GPs and found my TSH was 8, so in my case it could be considered subclinical, but because I also have antibodies, the decision was to put me on thyroxine now rather than wait until my thyroid is completely knackered, So I'm starting the tablets and in time the dose will settle,

It hasn't been bad enough to stop me from performing well in a big race, glad to say. The blood tests were done about a month after a 1.55 half marathon.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Any chance of an update in a few months futon?

• I'll keep a note to do that. Happy to give an update because who knows, maybe it will help someone else who happens to find the thread. image

• Rob Jones 2Rob Jones 2 ✭✭✭

I'm a GP so have a little knowledge. From my understanding we almost never recheck blood tests for about 6 weeks after starting or adjusting thyroxine because it takes that long for the body to adapt to them. It might be that you notice no difference (good or bad) until then. Bodies adjust to hormone levels very slowly. However I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't do all the training and racing that you might want to do if you are feeling well.  

You're in a totally different group to those cheats that artificially raise their thyroid levels when they have no need to. This has been shown to be detrimental to health in the short and long term, 

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I don't believe Thyroxine is on the prohibited list. It wasn't last time I checked.

The dosage will be incredibly small to start with, I didn't notice any difference when I first started taking it. The half life is about 4 weeks as said above you'll have a blood test every 6 weeks and an increase in dose until your levels have stabilised.
  • Rob Jones 2Rob Jones 2 ✭✭✭

It's not on the prohibited list but I think you need to prove that you actually need it to get a medical exemption. Unlikely to be an issue though unless you are competing at the very top level!

Either way, it's not unsafe or performance enhancing just as long as it is replaced to the correct level which the docs should be checking intermittently. 

• Thanks Rob, that's good to know, especially with the good weather and a summer 10k in the pipeline. image

I'm feeling well and it was too nice outside to be stuck in, so I went for a short tempo run tonight to see where I'm at currently. Ended up averaging 8 minute mile pace which is pretty much where I would have hoped to be at this point.

I was just being silly about the doping thing. The thyroxine is just medication I need and it's up to the doctors to prescribe the correct dose as you say. To the contrary it's nice to be able to say that it's possible to run well with diabetes and hypothyroidism.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    If it's not on the prohibited list, you don't need a TUE.

You need a prescription for Levothyroxine. There is some controversy about a US Endocrinologist who seems to have diagnosed a few top athletes who are borderline or have questionable levels.

There is lots of discussion whether it should be on the prohibited list or not but hasn't made it on this year.
  • Updating the thread as I said I would now that it's been a few months.

Basically, I haven't noticed any difference as a result of starting thyroxine. I'm just taking the tablets as prescribed in their low dose which will hopefully prevent issues further down the line.

I've had a blood test quite recently, haven't been told to change anything, so it's very much a case of no news is good news at the moment.

Training wise, things are going well. I've started training with a club recently, performance is going in the right direction I'm glad to say.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

"performance is going in the right direction I'm glad to say" image