Why Women Run

Comments

• giggling tortoise, the new Fit Farm series on C4 seems to be addressing the issue (very slightly) by having an underweight chap on who wants to gain weight and bulk with proper food and exercise. OK, he's the only underweight guy they have, but I suppose it makes a change :-)

Stickless, I am inspired, hope you get to China.
  • Hi

Have any of you out there run the New York Marathon - I am going to run in it this year and do not know anyone who has done it.

• Goldilocks if you look over on unofficial, there's a thread there still going from the New York marathon in 2002.
  • I will email you.
    I would also like to know if any of the guys run because their girlfriend got a girlfriend.
  • or if any of you girls run because your friends set you up for dates with fat blokes?
  • Monique: no, I just bought some of that spycam equipment over the internet.
  • I like to run to just get out and have a peaceful hour to myself and think of nothing in particular, sing to myself and just chill out - does that make sense!!!!!! and then I can go to the pub and have a good drink and a packet of walkers plain crisps!!!!!!!
  • Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    Monique & M, no, but I do run because the local tandoori sent us a christmas card! (worse than pizza, I think!)
  • LOL coco-cat

when i lived with a friend of mine in watford (also a runner) the waitresses in the local chinese knew us by name.
  • Folks,
    Sorry for the slow response but the day job got in the way. Have to earn aliving.

Anyway questionaires on their way to you.

We are hoping to challenge the stereotyping in the documentary so comments are noted and will be discussed with the director.

Guys - come on - defy the stereotype - do the questionaire and show me that you don't all believe that women run for only one reason.
  • You have even more mail.

Why do I run?

I hated sport at school and wasn't any good at it (because I told myself I wasn't).

When I started running (aged 50) a mile was painful and it took me two days to recover. Nearly five years later 5 miles is a "normal" run, I'm training for my third marathon, working part-time in a sports shop and feel five years younger and fitter than I did when I started. I have more confidence to do other things, ie abseiling when I've no head for heights ("If you've done a marathon you can do this.").

I have inspired (so he tells me) a 40-something football player to do a half marathon and a 55-year old woman (not me!) to stand up to her husband and do something she wants, ie running.

I am an internationally published author (ok, so it was only a Canadian running club's newsletter, but it's a start), give talks to WI groups, have raised (so far) £3000 for charity and will soon be launching a scheme for recycling running shoes.

And I like it.

Happy running, all of you.

• Coco - I have not one Chinese takeaway calendar but two, am too ashamed to use the same one all the time as they will work out that I never cook.
  • Kit kat

whenis the shoes thing starting
    i now have 3 pairs to donate
  • Bunny - you've got even more mail.

In brief, two words "Jane Tomlinson". She inspired me at the youthful age of 46 to train for the London Marathon.

I enjoy plodding and have met some wonderful people, especially through the forum and last week I met some forumites at Reading.

My butt has decreased in size too which is good as it was like a Buckie Drifter!!!!
  • Slow Bird, you're right; while the sight of my sides sagging got me into running and cured the problem, it's being inspired by Jane Tomlinson that gets me out of the door running when I'd otherwise be tucked up in bed. I'm the same age as Jane, and unlike her, have no children, but the courage of that woman never ceases to amaze me.
  • trinity - they guys are all very reticent about filling in the questionaire. The tend to hang about the threads where I have posted the request and make comments but not actually be of any use - see what I mean.

I don't want to give too much away but I have found that about 95% of guys, when asked, think that women run purely to lose weight.

And that just ain't true - is it girls.
    from my point of the view the weight loss has been a bonus rather thana motivation.
  • Kit Kat - truly inspirational!

FB - absolutely agree with your last comment!
  • run to loose weight ... hm I wish! Going on rather than off & I'm not talking nice lean muscle either!

There's more to happyness and life than a size 12 thong worthy bottom!
  • freefall b - you have mail!

Why did I start running? I can´t remember, I can never explain my actions at the best of times....

Why do I still run? For about 330 different reasons, and the size 10 thing is just a bonus, I never associated running with losing weight when I started, it just happened!

I am questioning it all a bit at the moment now, having just come back from a 20 mile run (fairly painless) only to discover that I have chafing in a rather unmentionable area AND IT HURTS!!!
  • I don't have any weighing scales, how would I know if I've lost weight? I do it more now for the lessons it teaches me in perserverance, pacing and physical/psychological fitnes, and probably many more things beginning with 'p' which don't spring to mind right now.
  • kath
    no weighing scales?

what a liberated woman you are
  • Thanks, P Hippy, I wouldn't have thought of that as a measure of liberated-ness, but now you come to mention it, perhaps it is!

If I had no mirror either, (the means by which I noticed my sides were sagging) now that would be true liberation, but I do feel it's important to be able to check if I'm walking out of the house with my face covered in peanut butter.
  • thats a fair point cath
  • Lizzy, chaffing - Iknow all about it. I have yet to fond a crop top that does not chaff somewhere and have spent a small fortune on the search.

I am now seriously considering trying to design something, and seeing if I can find anyone to pick up on it and manufacture it.

Thanks again everyone for the responses.

The rain here is Glasgow has just stopped and the sun has put in an appearance, so I had better get out there.
  • Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭
    Don't we all run because we look so good in Lycra? I know I do :)