Newbie Triathlon questions

Hi! I'm doing the Windsor Triathlon in 4 weeks. It's my first ever triathlon and I'm getting super nervous. I have a couple of questions which I was hoping you pros might be able to help with...thanks in advance!

1) What do I actually do when I turn up in the morning? Do I need to register somewhere? Where do I get the numbers/tags to put on? With running events, I get everything in advance in the post and just turn up at the start line which is easy peasy.

2) Transitions - where do I put my bike and running shoes? Is it a free for all or am I allocated a space? Do I lock them up, if not, can't people nick it? Though my things aren't worth nicking at all!

3) Same I guess goes for finishing a leg, where do I put my wetsuit and bike?

4) Swimming....I suck...I'm a decent cyclist and runner but really strugling with swimming. I've been swimming roughly 2-3 times a week since the beginning of the year and do a 2 beat kick. I can do sets of up to 200m which total nearly 2k, but the most I can do continuously (front crawl) is only around 200m. No ow swimming yet as my wetsuits are arriving this week. Will I be ok? I could fallback on breaststroke...but that seems like a copout...

thanks!

Comments

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

No one can nick your stuff in transition, you have a sticker on your bike that matches your race number and people on the entrance/ exit who check that they match. You will normally get your race numbers/ stickers on the morning. 

You will get an allocated space in transition, depending on the tri they can be quite strict on how much room you use to lay your things out, I put mine on a towel. 

As for swimming, maybe make one of your swims increasing in distance over the next couple of weeks. 

• Check the instructions carefully- the last time I did Windsor (some years back) you had to register the day before.  I think it was racking on the day, but I think the early starters might have been racking the night before.

T1 come in, take wetsuit off and leave it on the ground by your bike.  Put cycle kit on, do helmet up, remove bike from rack, head out.

T2 come in, rerack bike into same slot, take helmet and other cycling kit off, put run shoes on, head out.

Swimming, hug the bank as much as you can on the way up.  If it's been particularly wet the river will be flowing quickly.  I've seen people walking in the shallows and pulling themselves along by the bank.  Middle of river for the way back down for free current, but watch for the exit carefully, you don't want to miss it.

• decadavedecadave ✭✭✭

1. Depends on which event you entered - if its the standard Age Group category race then its register and rack on Saturday... there is a registration tent on site.

There is a "mates race" category which is racking on Saturday OR Sunday - not quite clear if registration is Saturday.

for the other options - Simo and FF ave already answered.

• decadavedecadave ✭✭✭

just to add - swimming breastroke in a wettie is quite energy sapping.

Not sure where you are based, but would really really really advise you to get open water swim experience before race day.

• If you put Windsor Tri into Youtube you get lots of coverage of the race and people offering tips too. Might help you see what it looks like.
  • BenjaiBenjai ✭✭

Thanks all, for the super useful advice, even answering questions I hadn't thought of asking yet!

So I just had a look, and it does look like I'm indeed racking on Saturday. So on Sunday, I presume I just turn up with my wetsuit, trisuit, and go to the start line?

Also, I didn't realise the swimming is in the river! The website is terrible and doesn't give you a swimming map at all. So I guess its just long loop in the river?

I live in Richmond and work in Mayfair. So I guess Shepperton is good for swimming, and possibly Serpentine? Could I just join the Serpentine club and swim every morning before I go to work? Does anyone have experience with either place?

Hopefully the wetsuit would help me float/swim a bit...I'm really REALLY nervous now!

• decadavedecadave ✭✭✭

hmmm. so. you parted with circa £100 for a race entry fee for an event you know not much about? all the race info is covered on their website (if you look close enough)

Serpentine Tri club is a big club and I'm sure would welcome you and show the ropes.

But to clarify.

Register and rack saturday.

Sunday - check your bike (tyres - put drinks and nutrition on your bike) - put your trainers / bike shoes / helmet / race number belt by your bike (no boxes or bags allowed in transition)

Don wetsuit (over your trisuit or bike clothes of choice) - goggles, hat.

Its an IN RIVER start - so you need to tread water for a few minutes before the off

Would suggest starting at the back (or towards back) of your wave.

Swim upstream. Turn, swim back.

Out of water - there might be strippers there to unzip your wetsuit.. dont take your wettie off fully till you are near your bike.

put helmet on. Put shades on. Put cycle shoes on. Gloves optional. Put number belt on.

push bike to mount point of transition.

Bike - 25 miles. Flat. a couple of dead turns.

Off bike - dismount before dismount line. (marshalls will be waving flags!)

push bike back to your transition spot.

helmet off. Run shoes on.

Run 10k. 

Enjoy. Smile for photo finish.

• BenjaiBenjai ✭✭

Thanks Decadave, super useful advice! I went through their website several times, but it didn't have too much info at all. And I struggled to find anything about the swimming part until I just noticed that the first map was of the river route!

I can't remember where, but I'm sure I read somewhere that they give out hats to match your start?

I do realise I just kind of jumped in without thinking much, but I've been training hard since the start of the year!

Thanks!

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

There are strippers there? Thought that was only at the outlaw with the hooters girls

• LOL ! Brilliant.

Do you have a wetsuit ? Presumably you thought it was a pool swim ?
  • BenjaiBenjai ✭✭

Haha yes I just got my wetsuit so will be doing some ow swims this week.

For some reason, I thought it would be swimming in lake Dorney....

I just had a quick look at the youtube clips and definitely some useful things there. Will have another look when I get a bit more time. The videos are scaring me!

• just entering without thinking about it, and then having a ton of very basic questions is in the very finest of pirate traditions!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Prime Pirate material indeed !
  • I would most certainly get some OW swims sorted for no other reason than to practice sighting, get used to the cold and to check you have actually got the right size wetsuit ....  it is a tri wetsuit isn't it ?!

• HornbagHornbag ✭✭✭
    Don't forget to not be shit!!!

????
  • tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

I only ever did one triethlon, and what I learned is that you need to put some sort of lubrication round the neck of your wetsuit, or you'll risk a big raw area round your neck from wetsuit chafing.............................or maybe  it was just me...............

• Be aware triathlon has a load of rules - if you are stopped by a person in grey with Technical Official on them then you'll need to do as they say image

A key rule would be put your bike helmet on before unracking your bike. Do not touch it again until your bike is reracked.

Runner, swimmer, cyclist and triathlete

Devoid of a competitive streak :)

Who cares, I'm in it for the medal!

• BenjaiBenjai ✭✭

Haha yes, thanks everyone for answering my very basic questions. Really appreciated! =)

So I just popped by the Serpentine Lake this morning, loads of crazy swimmers there, so I signed up! Will try to go tomorrow morning.

Another couple of questions: the lake is less than 10 mins from work so it's as easy for me to go to there as it is the pool; should I just ditch the pool altogether from now until the race?

Also, what does "sighting" actually mean? Does it just mean front crawl and every so often, head up to see where you're going?

Magna/Cougie - is there a in house pirate gag I'm missing...?

M..eldy - I've tried a few wetsuits...and even the most comfortable one is..not very comfortable. Especially around the neck! I take it this is normal? And yes, I got a Blueseventy Sprint which is a tri wetsuit.

Hornbag - I will definitely be trying my hardest to both not be crap, and not to crap myself...

tricialitt - I just ordered some BodyGlide which I read helps. One thing that some people say is to put it on your wrists and ankles to help taking the wetsuit off. Do I put it on before or after the swim? And the plastic bag over the hands/feet trick is genius!

SwimsL1keaWalrus - yes, it seems quite a bit more complicated than running events, but looks fun! And thanks for the helmet tip!

Thanks again everyone!

• A couple of tips - Windsor is a big race and transition is rather large, so:

when you rack your bike on Saturday, find a marker so you can find your bike easier on Sunday when you come out the swim. There are several big trees in the transition which I normally use 'my bike is two rows over from that oak tree' type thing;

walk around transition and find the big 'Bike Out' and 'Run Out' signs - they will be the opposite end of transition to the entrance on Saturday . Very easy to get lost.

Good luck!!

• Tri-wetsuit should feel tight when it's on.  Bodyglide on ankles, wrists and neck before the wetsuit goes on.

Sighting, yes as you said.  In a river it's dead easy as you can sight on the bank when you turn your head to breathe, as long as the bank is about the same distance away you are swimming in a straight line.  The turn buoy is a large orange inflatable underneath a large bridge (if you're doing the full length) so look forward every now and again to see if you can spot the bridge.  It's easiest if you look up when your arm enters the water as you can use this to push your head up out of the water.

• decadavedecadave ✭✭✭

I guess we all started somewhere - I remember my first OW tri (Cosmeston Tri in the late 90's) - was a little naive on a few of the basics. 

Its all a learning curve image

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Windsor was my first OW tri, first time I'd swam in a wetsuit too.  Exciting times. 

• Sounds like classic Pirate material. Don't put your wetsuit on back to front, Spit in your goggles just before you get in the water and rinse them in the river. Stops them fogging up. If the water is cold, piss in your wetsuit. DO NOT shit in it. Apart from that, enjoy, smile etc.

• Love your advice dustboy! I would defo wee in my wettie regardless of if the water is cold or not just to ensure you dont need to wee later on. 

Make sure you pull the wettie right up and work it up under your arms and around your neck so you have full range of movement. Practice getting it off quickly wet too after a practice swim - you may be able to trim the leg length If it is impossible. 

Lastly dont believe a word anyone says at the start. Most whippets will claim to be 'taking it easy' or recovering from the plague so they get an excuse in early. 

Good luck

• BenjaiBenjai ✭✭

Haha thanks a lot for all the super advice, especially about no crapping in the wetsuit!

I'm now a proud member of the Serpentine Swimming Club and did my first OW swim yesterday. 

Went into the changing room, realised that my order of BodyGlide hadn't arrived yet so asked a girl and guy if they had any I could borrow. Turns out the don't bother with 'those wetsuits'. Hardcore. Embarrassingly looked around and salvation! Someone had left a questionable looking bottle by the counter! I'd never seen BodyGlide before so it was...a bit different to what I was expecting. For some reason I though it'd be like KY. Slathered as much of it on my neck as I could, must have been quite amusing viewing for the regulars there. Then off I went!

I lasted a whole...400m...

It's bloody hard! I started panicking straight away although in retrospect I'm not sure why. The wetsuit made me float like a gassy turd and my regular crawl technique went straight out the window. I suppose the good thing is I don't think I need to worry about drowning any more. And just swimming in a straight line is bloody hard, I was all over the place!

So I worked out that between now and the event, I've got 13 more sessions to get used to it....how am I going to swim 1.5k?!

• BenjaiBenjai ✭✭

On more practical matters, how much drink do you guys/girls carry on the bike for an olympic distance? Is 2 bidons too much? And what about gels? Any solids/bars? Thanks!

• As regards the panic, try reading this:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/triathlon/swim---breathing/320626.html

If you're only used to swimming 200m repeats, then slow waaay down and concentrate on trying to keep as aerobic as possible.  You'll probably find it feels quite constricted in a wetsuit first off (breathing is harder, shoulders feel tight).

Nutrition on the bike is very much down to what you can stomach without it coming out in an untimely fashion at either end.  It's easier to digest stuff on the bike than the run.  If it's not blazing hot I'd have thought one bottle should be enough.

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

For my recent oly I carried 1 bottle of water and 4 of the high 5 isogels put into a bottle, I will just be taking more of the isogels for outlaw half.

• Blimey Benjal - how could you get through two bottles of water in 25 miles ?

I'd be using less than one bottle myself. I'd probably just use energy drink in the bottle and not bother with gels.
  • I average one bottle every 25 miles, but I usually carry two for an Oly, the second is a smaller 500ml one, most of which goes in the first mile washing out all the duck shit in my mouth from the water. Would probably pack 5 isogels and use last one just before start of run.

I always take a few slugs of fatboy Coke in T1 after an OW swim. Some people swear by it as prevention against upset stomachs later in the day. I am one of them. Your call.