Cross training machine recommendation

Dom NorrishDom Norrish ✭✭✭

I've converted my (undersized and unused) garage into a gym to house my treadmill. Yes, I know - I do run outside a lot tooimage

Now that I've reached "the years of discretion" and can't always train effectively the day after a hard session, I am thinking about getting a 2nd machine for the gym, something low-impact but beneficial for fitness to use when I need to recover/ can't face intervals, etc.

There are plenty of elliptical trainers out there but wondered if anyone:

a) had a thought about an alternative or;

b) have a recommendation on an elliptical, or ones to avoid

Many thanks!

Dom

Comments

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Rowing machine. Works well on your general fitness, do you have a bike, if so also get a static machine to put your bike on it.

• Dom NorrishDom Norrish ✭✭✭

Thanks Booktrunk

I swore after college that I'd never willingly go near another rowing machine again! I guess it works the upper body very well though and has zero impact. I just remember the lactic pain!

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

If you're doing it right, rowing is 60% legs and 20% each torso and arms/shoulders so while it does use the upper body you won't get that rippling-muscle ripped look.

I have a Concept2 rower and operate a routine of running and rowing on alternate days. It does wonders as a recovery machine. On a day like today, when my legs are a bit creaky from a long run yesterday, 10,000 metres done gently flushes them through nicely and has a tangible effect. As you say, no impact.

I've had it 9 years and it's some of the best money I've spent. Not cheap, though. And C2s are the only rowing machines worth buying imho.

Thanks Muttley, useful experience there!

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

I have a fairly basic elliptical trainer (Reebok) - it may not have all the bells & whistles, but it serves me well, and at the end of the day it's great training for running without the impact. There are loads available on ebay, it's the kind of thing loads of people will buy and then find they don't use.

• I had a basic cross trainer too. It did a good job for training arms and legs but also got the heart rate up higher than running so good for cv training. It could be a bit creaky and noisy but that might not be an issue in the garage. Make sure it you can change the resistance and read the reviews.

Cheaper alternative is get a turbo trainer, if you have a bike.

• The Octane Zero runner looks interesting for runners but pretty expensive. All the reviews I've seen rate it highly.

Wow, you're not kidding Swindon Jogger when you say that's expensive!

Thanks everyone!