Another Garmin Question

Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭

I have a Garmin 305 (cue "steam driven", "out of the ark" jokes... image ) and I love it. It has served me admirably for more than four years - plus I got it second hand from ebay. Recently, though, it gave me a scare by refusing to turn on... this forum came to my rescue - but it has made me very aware that old faithful won't last forever!

I recently bought a 610 for a really good price - but even the good deal couldn't overcome my disappointment at the loss of, what seemed to me, some basic functionality that I take for granted on the 305, namely the ability to set simple pace or speed alerts and the breadcrumb route trail. It also had a fixed strap that didn't fit round my wrist - the 305 is so huge I have to wear a sweatband under it to be able to do it up round my wrist but I was hoping to be able to do away with that with a new watch. Anyway - I've ended up sending back the 610.

After all that blurb, my question is... which of the more modern Garmins is the most similar to a 305 in terms of the features available (I'd only use it for running and would want a HRM with it)?

I have read through about the first 150 of 450 threads on here after searching "Garmin 305 replacement", and I'm very familiar with DC Rainmaker's site - but, because the 305 is so old, I'm finding it impossible to make direct comparisons between the current offerings and my 305.

Are there any ex-305 users that have found a similarly capable current model? Any info. would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I don't have an answer, just sympathy. I have a 620, and feel the same way really. I used to like plotting out a trail route and downloading it to the watch and setting off into the countryside.  I could probably do it now but the whole interface is so cumbersome I can't be bothered.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Probably need to look at Fenix 3. The 920 might do it as well. They keep doing lots of updates, but the 920 doesn't recharge on the go. Slightly older look at the 910

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

The 310xt is probably worth checking out - similar size and form factor etc. I didn't get on with it (didn't like the ant stick and had battery charging issues). Can be had very cheaply these days as is two or three iterations out of date.

• Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭

Many thanks for the suggestions folks - much appreciated!

I think the Fenix 3 is a bit on the pricey side for me at the moment - but the 310 and the 920 look promising.

Mr P. - I've spoken to a few running friends and they have also bemoaned the changes and removal of simple, popular functionality... I don't why companies do that - surely a new and improved product should at least do what the predecessor did?

• KattefjaesKattefjaes ✭✭✭

It's worth mentioning that while the 920 is amazingly fugly, it feels far more comfy than should be possible, as well as having a far better track record for reliability than the Fenix 3 (which is very shiny, has a million thrilling features, but.. is a little "quantity first").

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

I used to have a 305, when that died I bought a 310XT and am really pleased with it.

However the HRM has just died and after research on the internet I find that this is a common problem as the HRM with the 310XT is not as robust as the 305.  The 310 HRM is also less comfortable.

But luckily I had not chucked out the old 305 HRM and have now been able to pair it with the 310XT.

I have a small wrist too but the 310 is a much better fit and no need to wear a sweatband underneath.

The 310 has a much longer battery life, think it's 20 hours and so much quicker than the 305 at locating satellites

Mange tak/many thanks for the follow up answers Katte and SHADES - very useful.

I've just gone back to reread DC Rainmaker's thoughts on these two watches and I notice that he says you can only set audible pace alerts via Virtual Partner or Workouts on the 310 - this is the main thing that made me send back the 610: audible pace (or speed) alerts were missing from the simple max/min alert settings.

I think this means I'm leaning more towards the 920 image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I have a 920xt, which I like although it is wasted on me tbh.

A top feature is that it can install Garmin Connect IQ doohickeys - data fields, apps and widgets. I don't understand the difference between a widget and an app but never mind.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/devices/forerunner920xt/apps

There are a few offerings under "navigation" so if the standard 920 doesn't do what you want the chances are that there's an app for that.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Little Nell - I've never used audible pace alerts but thought it was quite straight forward to do so through the Virtual Partner, although I've never actually tried to do so. 

Let us know how you get on with whichever model you choose

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

The *20 onwards series though on the naim forums gets lots of complaints about pace, as in the users seem to think they've changed something in the algorithms as they seem a lot more all over the place.  In that they aren't as consistent as they were old the older *10 watches now they might be more accurate now, but they vary quite a lot users have said.

Also some of them lost things like the virtual runner so you can't compare the run to an earlier run over the same course trying to keep pace. 

The 910xt seemed to be about the last of the generation that they put it all on before bringing out the fenix range...

So if you want all the bells and whistles for pacing at a sensible price i'd hunt out a 910xt i'm sure some places still have new ones for sale.  The 610 did all of that and I loved it.  I really regret selling it and getting a 620 i hated that compared to the 610 there were so many things missing.  I sold it and went down the fenix route to get the stuff that the 610 did out of the box.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

As regards pace, I've installed a thingy from the Connect IQ site that shows average pace for the past 60 seconds. I might adjust it to 30 seconds. The idea was to provide something usable between instant pace and lap pace. I'm also eyeing up a thingy that calculates your finish time during a race.

Is it just me or has the 920xt gone up in price? All I can see currently is £300 or so, I got mine several months ago for £250.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

The Fenix 3 is around that price if you hunt around for example  go outdoors have it for £310 but this week have 15% off all departments with their discount card. So around £266 for the fenix3 

Thank you to all who took the time to answer and offer advice! image

I was within a gnat's chuff of going for a Fenix 3 on ebay - but then noticed the same seller had a 920XT for a lower price and had a "Make Best Offer" option, so have just splurged on a new in box 920XT with HRM for a bit over £200.

Plus - after creating this thread, I connected my eyeballs to my brain and noticed that DC Rainmaker has this comparison table:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator

- which does include the 305... so my original comment of "I'm very familiar with DC Rainmaker's site" should have read "I'm vaguely familiar with..." *doh*! (what a pillock!)

(Sorry - for some reason my "create a link" button is not active... dunno why that is...)

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Nell - that's a great comparison chart, I've bookmarked that for future use, thanks.

Well done on your bargain buy of the 920XTimage