Running Backpack recommendations

KEmmaWKEmmaW ✭✭

I'm toying with the idea of having a go at run commuting between home and work and am therefore looking for a running backpack to carry essentials such as water, spare clothes, keys, money, phone, that sort of stuff. It needs to be something lightweight that fits well and doesn't bounce around a lot and that keeps the things in it secure so they're not sloshing around if the pack isn't rammed full, and ideally not too pricy. My route would be about 8-9 miles so it needs to be comfortable and not too large / heavy.

Size-wise, I'm a 5'6" female, slim-medium build, size 12ish.

I've never run with a backpack before so would welcome some recommendations, especially from any similar sized fellow ladies out there, as I'm struggling to find any shops near me that have many options to try on. The options I have tried so far haven't been right for various reasons.

Comments

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Good place to start is

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/running-hydration-bag-id_8312236.html

I've used one on ultras, no problems, just remember to follow the instructions re squeezing all the air out of the water bag before starting a run, otherwise sloshing drives you nuts.

Don't think its that waterproof, so if you carry a phone may need extra wrapping
  • They are almost certainly not waterproof - as we found out at the weekend. My wife 5'4/5'5 finds it difficult to find one that is small enough in the back to get really comfortable with but the OMM bag she has would carry the cloths etc - you may need to get the additional cord to get the bag cllosed down snugly

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    I have a camelbak ultra 10 which is not a cheap backpack but it fits me well and has lots of space to carry stuff. It has a cord so you can compress your stuff if the bag is not entirely full. It also has a waterproof pocket at the front in which I can put my phone but it is not big enough if you have a big phone ( anything over the size of an iphone5s would be a challenge to fit in,imo).
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    General rucksacks OMM are great long lasting bags.

Can get lots of posh ultra 5-12l bags but they are quite often a bit on the small size for storing a lot of bits in.

I'm a fan of the raidlight 14 and 20l bags, but get the female versions as the male ones are a big bit around the shoulders. They have a bit of padding but not much so not very heavy.
  • eltonionieltonioni ✭✭✭

Contents always expand to fill the available space and shoes seem to take up 10L on their own so I'd get something that you think might be bigger than you need but that can be squished down with compression straps. I use a reasonably traditional Montane Anaconda 18L pack for commuting and it's fine, whereas my Innov8 8L pack is a non starter unless there's not much more than waterproofs and food in it.

It's a good idea to try them on in a shop if you can as they all seem to fit a bit differently. 

• Tazzy TTazzy T ✭✭

Hi, I'm a 5'6" lady.  I use a small Vango.  Without the hydration bladder it is big enough for me to use for commutes (if I have stashed my shoes at work already).  It's not enormous but I get on with it well enough.  When stuffed full, loosen the shoulders off and it is comfy and non-bouncy - if only carrying a tiny amount, I pull the straps fully tight and it is still fine.  It's good for long distance training too as you can take some water with you.

I've had it for about two years and it's still in good order.

http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/162987-vango-swift-10-daysack-purple.html

• Decathlon had some superb 20L bags for €5 last week, bought a couple just because 

• Hi,

I also run commute to work and few months ago I discovered and amazing product called IAMRUNBOX. It is very unique and you can keep your clothes wrinkle free thanks to its hard shell. Moreover, it is very comfy. I used it for cycling as well and it worked very well. they have garment carriers as well. Check it out!!

https://iamrunbox.com/en/garment-carrier/1-garment-carrier-singlepack.html#/color-orange

https://iamrunbox.com/en/backpack/4-backpack-pro.html#/color-black