My name is ???????? and i am gonna seriously get my sh!t in one sock - Part 2

Comments

• I managed another decent week last week training-wise, including a 90+ mile long ride with lots of hills.

My diet was shit though due to being 'down in the dumps'

===========

This week i'm a bit word out so will have a bit of a recovery week - before a planned big cycling week

• I'll be out on the bike at the weekend, need to get some big miles in
  • Next week I hope to get a 70mile road bike and 2 x 70mile CX bike ... it'll kill me 

• Well done Will, you're doing a great job image

Why shit Mallowpuff?  You've been getting some training in, no?

What's the regime Seren? 

I'm doing okay, not quite up to doing all the exercise I wanted but getting there.  Last week did one PT sesh which felt really tough, then 3 runs.  This week so far did PT sesh on Monday which was tough but also felt a lot better and I enjoyed it.  Last night went for a wee OW swim in the river with M&Ms, so missed my first run of the week, but i'll do that tonight.  Busy the next three evenings, so will get a 2nd run in on Friday morning, then my LSR on Sunday.  Hope to be able to squeeze more gym sessions in next week.

• Very little, Lee, and nowhere near the planned distances.. Diet needs sorting too. Need to get my head in the right place and then everything else will follow.
  • Well done you, though!
  • HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Great news Lee - and you Will on the training front.  Hang in there Seren, have you got an answer from the doctors yet?

I'm still struggling mentally and physically.  But rather than beating myself up I'm making small changes in the hope they will grow into bigger ones... I did my weights sesh last night and could crack walnuts with my arse this morning so it had an effect.

Got an appointment with my PT tomorrow which I'm looking forward to, not least because he works for the treasury and will hopefully give me an insight into whether article 50 will be invoked.  I have a lot of very serious decisions to make in the next few weeks, all of which could be seriously affected by what happens economocally.  It's a bugger having your own business when we're being railroaded into recession.

• I got some blood tests back yesterday and the doctor told me I should start exercising (this is after doing Challenge Venice) so I need to eat more healthily and ran off to buy some Danacol......

I'm off to Frankfurt on Friday to watch my brother do the IM there so I'm hoping I'll be inspired watching everyone and get some mojo back image

• went back to the doctor yesterday and she basically said without any other symptoms apart from tiredness and knackered muuscles refusing to work there is nothing more really they can do.

She suggested starting HRT incase that is the problem...I am very reluctant to try that when we do not even know if I am menopausalimage

Had a blood test to check for that but it might well not be conclusive

• IronshasIronshas ✭✭✭

*sticks head in*

Hello I'm shas and since I decided to get that iron part in my title, it's all been a bit "blah" frankly!!  Got a bike in 2010 and took up tri's in 2011, but absolutely loved cycling to bits and you just couldn't keep me off the bike whenever I had the chance.  Hate swimming but as its the first part the thought of the cycle would get me thru the swim, and run was that tolerable bit at the end to get to the finish line!

Since deciding to do an IM last year though, got a coach that was very much in the "lots of base miles" camp, and somewhere on the way too many to count 80/90/100/110 mile rides that were in the programme, I fell out of love with cycling and it became a real chore to force myself out for yet another 5/6/7/8 hour ride.

Didn't help that the one week I decided to just go for a ride on my brand new shiny P3 for the simple pleasure to just try & enjoy it & ignore all electronic things, that I went skidding over in some mud and cut myself to bits (thankfully the bike was ok).

Managed to do IM UK and have never felt a buzz like I did crossing that finish line, despite my knee pooping itself at mile 13 & having to walk most of the second half of the mara.  Signed up for Weymouth half to keep the fitness & try to get the mojo back / live off the high, but when my knee pooped itself this time at mile 2 on the run, I think that was when the bubble completely burst and all motivation went floating off somewhere.

I've actually been more motivated to run since starting again at the end of last year / early this year, and while I'm slow as crap it's probably the strongest I've ever felt running.  Swimming I'm actually kind of enjoying, but cycling is the complete opposite and anything over about 30-40mi I just want to get off and go home and have completely fallen out of love with it.

Did outlaw half in May and that was the first time that my knee has ever held up at half IM distance so was well chuffed & thought that would be the boost I needed, but did tour of Cambridgeshire the weekend after and I actually threw my bike away and just sat on the ground and cried at the end as I hated it that much (I did pick the bike back up again tho!).

Hence I'm also guilty of the over-snacking thing due to lack of motivation; I'm managing enough exercise to hold my weight steady (I put on about 4kg last year post IM & post surgery but my weight has pretty much stayed the same this year, probably managed to lose 1kg), but I know I could do with losing around 8kg and that if I stopped the crap snacking I'd feel better physically & emotionally & help to lose the weight which would also help everything.

Anyone else found themselves in this situation?!  Stopping myself from snacking I know I just need to be more disciplined, but I don't know how to find my love / mojo for the bike again.  It is gutting tho as I honestly used to love nothing more than riding, but now even 1 spit of rain is enough to make me go "nope it's raining can't go out on the bike" sort of thing and anything over about 2 hours (even just what I try to do as a fun ride), I just want to get off, throw the bike away & go home & eat.

• Ironshas --- I fend myself eating/snacking constantly image

And I think we all fall out of love with the bike or what ever at some time or another. For me - if its the bike , I turn to my MTB and just go out for some muddy fun - no time - no speed pressure - just fun.

• Ironshas....when I fell out of love with my bike, the cure was to stick it in a bike bag, and take it somewhere warm and just go cycle for the pleasure of it. I went to the Spanish side of the Pyrenees, and had a great time, just exploring. I didn't worry about the pace, just rode, found cafes, drank great coffee, ate amazing local food and enjoyed it..... couldn't stay off the bike for weeks and weeks afterwards!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Ironshas - I'm always snacking but I've started surrounding myself with healthy options. At work my desk is now full of nuts, dark choccolate, rice cakes etc rather than M&Ms and fruit pastilles. Boring but it's the only way.

As for the bike, I fully understand - if I were you, I would go out not thinking about training and just aim to go to a nice cafe somewhere. Enjoy the ride without thinking about pace/cadence etc it's just a mode of transport to get you to the cafe.

• Magna Carter wrote (see)

I'm MC, and I need to work on three things...

1] I need to get some cycling power, so that I don't get caned on the climbs..l so big gear and intervals, here I come.

2] I need to develop my aerobic endurance and mental strength on my runs... no more walking!

3] I need at accept that even though I've got a high metabolsm, I've got to stop eating crap food all the time... It might not show, but it does affect my race

so.... still in IM training, so not really focused on bike power at this stage, rather endurance... but will hit that hard post Vit in September.... like Shas above, getting to the stage again where a 6hr ride isn't appealing, so a switch to pace and power will help I hope.... plus a planned summer trip for a week of MTB and a bit of mountainous road riding.

Running, I'm delighted with.... have upped to 21 miles on longest run without a stop at a pace above the pace I've run any mara in the last 10 years.... ran an Oly run leg last weekend at 1min/mile faster than originally planned, and spent the second half telling the little voice in my head to STFU, and kept going... that's progress for me... it hurt, but I am very happy with how I am training my head as well as my legs and lungs!

Eating wise, I'm doing OK.... a few 'treats' here and there, but generally, trying to hard to head for an apple etc when I need a snack, not crisps, and doing ok.... lots of veg and fruit...

Keep up the good work folks... I find it really motivating to see others hitting their goals, and it helps keep me on track too!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • I haven't bought any biscuits this week.  I've eaten them, but today is the first day there are none on anyone's desk.  Bit worrying but I can do this.  Determined to stop totally snacking on crap, which I do.  The odd treat I'll allow.  Have definitely cut down on the chocolate intake, so now just got to sort my biscuit addiction at work out.  I'm going cold turkey.

Ironshas, I'm not surprised you fell out of love with cycling doing those constant long rides.  I have a coach and he's brilliant.  Plans my week, checks what I've done at the end of the day and checks in every week with a call, long email conversation.  He's good at mixing it up.  Well aware I need to go long, but during the week he plans my program around my free time, so lots of great turbo sessions, which so far haven't lasted more than 90 minutes.  Did Cotswolds 113 and was well happy with my time, and I felt strong.  Not quite so strong at the end, but the bike didn't phase me, and this is my weakest discipline.  I think if I was in your shoes, I'd get a couple of friends together and do a cycle ride to the pub.  Plan a ride of around 2-3 hours, and have the pub stop towards the end, so that you can enjoy those couple of nice cold beers.  All we need now though is for our great British summer to put in an appearance and the rain Gods to take a holiday.

Keep up the good work everyone.  We all seem to be determined to improve our well being and fitness, and we will all get there.  Small steps.

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Hi shas

Well done everyone else.  I managed a short plod yesterday and my PT session this morning.  Breathing is still hard but I feel I'm on the road to recovery.

1kg in weight down too so I've finally stemmed the flow of the weight gain - now just to keep it going.

• That must feel good Happy.  Definitely moving in the right direction.  Onwards and upwards. 

• Well done on the running Magna, sounds like it's all going well image

Great news on the weight loss HC image

Road to Nowhere: I've gone completely cold turkey on all refined carbs/sugar etc. and that's worked better for me that trying to ease my way into it.  I'm surprised tbh, but so far so good.  I've replaced the carbs with good fats though, and eating lots of veggies, so that's helped.  Good luck!

So I got my 3 mile run done last night.  It felt like much more of a struggle that the same runs last week but I did it.  I've lost lots of fitness in the past few months, so I know it'll take a while to build back up but that's okay image

• The sun appeared yesterday evening as I got home, so I changed into my running gear and got out the door. Fell short of my desired distance due to getting carried away with the pace but a run is a run. Might get back out tonight at a more sensible pace and aim to go further.
  • IronshasIronshas ✭✭✭

Thanks all for the tips on riding.  I’ve tried the “just ride for fun” thing but somehow every ride in my head ends up becoming a training ride.  I’ve started going out with my tri club a bit more as I figure the company might help distract me from thinking “just get me off this damn thing”, which I think has helped a bit (lovely lunchtime ride today with cheerful dave!).

As I said I’m ok up to about 2 hours, but anything over that just becomes painful and tedious.  I guess part of it is too that I got myself to a pretty good bike fitness level last year for Bolton and I’m nowhere near that this year so am a bit disgruntled from that point of view.

Molly – yeah I’m trying to make them more healthy snacks as well.  I’m ok at work as I only take fruit with me & then have a bag of almonds in the drawer; it’s just when I sit down at night & get bored & go “hmm what can I eat”!!

MC – brilliant work on the running, that’s awesome!!

Road – you could try & make yourself accountable to someone at work (the person you sit next to)?

Happy – well done on the run & PT session and the weight loss; fingers crossed you’re turning a corner illness wise (just don’t you & Penny keep swapping it between each other!)

Lee – well done on the run – it’s a start & it’s onwards & upwards from here!  Was it just pure mental willpower to cut out refined food or have you got some other tips & tricks?!

Mellow – good job for getting out, and yes it is hard when the sun is shining to be more controlled but as you say a run is a run & it all counts!

• Road to nowhere wrote (see)

Apparently magnesium is meant to help in the sleep department.  I've always had interrupted sleep for as long as I remember.  Drop off reasonably quick but after 90-120 minutes I wake up.  For the rest of the night I drift in and out of sleep and probably have around 3 trips to the loo.  Think I've got used to it and somehow I can survive on little sleep.  

I am much the same - have always had terrible sleep and up and down like a yoyo - I'm a nightmare roomie image  But I'm used to getting by like that.  However I am making a concerted effort to improve my "sleep hygiene" (get me!!)

My poor (poorer than usual) was due to a hacking dry cough which just wouldn't go away for 3 straight weeks........however it has finally given up the ghost, shortly before I thought I would which is a result.....

marathon molly wrote (see)

Podds - I think Majorca is supposed to be more "tecnical" than Austria - I just made the cut-off there by the skin of my teethimage

Lee - I like your way of thinking, I'm going to copy you as I tend to think 6 months ahead and want to see a massive change rather than lots of little steps

RTN - I don't know if magnesium helps sleep but I had magnesium baths twice a week before Venice and my muscles were fine and my skin was great (I've got eczema) - but would I have been ok without, who knows?

Don't do yourself down Molly - you were ahead of me and I scraped in by - 3 seconds according to the official timings!! image

IronShas - good advice above, can't help otherwise as I am out of love with it all at the moment........which wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for a certain race in 2 months' time......and I don't have Seren's natural talent to be able to blag it 

On the plus side I have managed a couple of runs in the last week and my first OW swim of the season - Dover harbour - I do know how to live the high life!!

Thought I was going to bust my wetsuit I've put on so much weight and it took 2 friends to zip me into it but I made it!

• podds ... I seriously doubt my ability to blag the ironman wales bike course......its defeated me a few times......

once in the ironman in 2011 when i missed the cutoffs  and once at the long course weekend 3 years ago when it was a heat wave on the bike and I lay on the floor at mile 90 odd and poured water over me looking for the broom wagon.....but no luck.. i had to limp home pushing the bike up wisemans and saundersfoot  

• I would like to join and get my sock stuffed!

With the announcement of my daughters impending arrival, a wedding and moving house the past year has been a complete write off. I had many plans and thoughts of being able to train whilst renovating a house and spending time with family, this ultimately hasn't worked out.

So with putting on weight and losing any fitness I had gained prior I am further back than where I started.....the perfect place to stuff my sock!

I am going to start with very simple goals of being able to run 5k again under 30 minutes and aim to get out on the bike at least once a week, if the weather improves I will be able to get out early morning during the week before work as well.

Overall goal will be an event or 2 next year, we have booked to go out to Lanza but this will only be to support, I think the goal of IM will have to be in 2 years and UK based due to costs involved. So possibly an Oly and maybe a half next year plus a half mara and bike event would be a great year and start of IM training.

But baby steps first and to start getting off my arse and out there!

• I had so many good intentions but sadly have been failing to get my sh!t in any kind of order whatsoever!

But... its a new month, the start of the 2nd half of the year and this time I'm really going to do it.  10 hours in and its going ok!

• So far this month I've managed to avoid eating any biscuits. Let's see how long I can keep that up
  • IronshasIronshas ✭✭✭

rocco - welcome and good goals - definitely sensible to start small and work up from there!

phil - how's it gone the last 2 days? image

mallow - good stuff, keep going!

As for me, did Outlaw Holkham on the weekend and managed to beat my time from Outlaw Nottingham despite it being a much tougher run course, and my knee held up again so happy with that!  Giving myself this week off running to try & let nagging foot problem settle (will maybe need 2 weeks off or just stick with short distances next week), but will be back on the bike & back to swimming again shortly.

Doing another half on 21 Aug so while I doubt I'll get under 6 hours, I definitely want to go sub 6.5 (Nottingham was 6hrs 40, Holkham was 6hrs 34 (and that was with making a total meal of transitions so could have knocked another 2mins off that easily)), but the one in Aug is probably even flatter than Nottingham so barring any issues on the day then sub 6.5 should be well within my grasp but need to work for it!!

• Morning

Weight: -3lbs

Run: 1 of 4 miles mostly running and 1 of 7 miles R/W

So positive week in terms of my main sock targets image